The songwriting/"This is how I make #1 jams thread"

Moderator: Ghost Hip

Re: The songwriting/"This is how I make #1 jams thread"

Postby mmurphy1000 » Tue Jan 20, 2015 3:01 pm

snipelfritz wrote:I write random parts then over the course of multiple years slowly piece things together. I think I have 3 or 4 really solid songs now. :joy:

ha I thought I was the only one! when I write on my own that's exactly what happens. I need other people to bounce off or I don't get very far at all.

there are some great posts in this thread. I'm definitely going to try some of these ideas the next time I am stuck.
mmurphy1000

committed
committed

Postby neonblack » Tue Jan 20, 2015 4:37 pm

The other day I put some music on and tried to write a part to another band's song that wasn't in the original but still fit. Just like a riff or something.

Then I looped it on my Ditto, muted it, went and smoked and listened to 3 or 4 other songs so I wouldn't have the original song in my head anymore, and then went back to the loop.

Once I wasn't thinking about the song I wrote it to, I had all kinds of ideas. Fun little experiment.
neonblack

IAMILFFAMOUS
IAMILFFAMOUS

Postby WayToHip » Sun Jan 25, 2015 7:57 pm

^^^Cool.

Well, the band fell apart, but I now have the desire to do my own stuff. Lately I've been trying to get stuff recorded on Ableton, and while I can now create bass and guitar lines that work with each other, I suck at making beats. Now I'm watching drum covers and taking notes on playing and drum usage.

Or does here have cool ways to get sweet drum beats or ideas?
Tom Dalton wrote:"I want to be as big as I can if it's going to stop a bullet."
WayToHip

experienced
experienced

Postby weed_killer » Sun Jan 25, 2015 8:39 pm

WayToHip wrote:^^^Cool.

Well, the band fell apart, but I now have the desire to do my own stuff. Lately I've been trying to get stuff recorded on Ableton, and while I can now create bass and guitar lines that work with each other, I suck at making beats. Now I'm watching drum covers and taking notes on playing and drum usage.

find a suitable beat (funk/soul 45s are time-tested ways to find an isolated line), put it into ableton, loop it and play over it. That's what I've been doing for the last two years, because I can't play drums and don't have the space to buy a bit and teach myself yet.
weed_killer

FAMOUS
FAMOUS

Postby Greenfuz » Tue Jan 27, 2015 8:59 pm

I get really drunk and hope I wake up to something good
Greenfuz

FAMOUS
FAMOUS

Postby WayToHip » Tue Jan 27, 2015 10:50 pm

weed_killer wrote:
WayToHip wrote:^^^Cool.

find a suitable beat (funk/soul 45s are time-tested ways to find an isolated line), put it into ableton, loop it and play over it. That's what I've been doing for the last two years, because I can't play drums and don't have the space to buy a bit and teach myself yet.

Oh cool idea, thanks!
Tom Dalton wrote:"I want to be as big as I can if it's going to stop a bullet."
WayToHip

experienced
experienced

Postby D.o.S. » Thu Jan 29, 2015 3:43 pm

Yup. Get a sampler. sample.
good deals are here.
escapecraft is here.
UglyCasanova wrote: It's not the expensive programs you use, it's the way you click and drag.

Achtane wrote:
comesect2.0 wrote:Michael Jackson king tut little Richard in your butt.

IT'S THE ENNNND OF THE WORRRLD AS WE KNOW IT
D.o.S.

IAMILFFAMOUS
IAMILFFAMOUS

Postby darthbatman » Wed Feb 04, 2015 3:27 am

I just loop like crazy, I also jam with some folks, some of the time there's stuff that's previously written. Most times it's all improv.
Am I the only one that comes up with the best shit when nobody happened to hit RECORD ? :lol:
I need to start implementing an Auto-Record function, that way I could have 10x the backlogs of drone jams on my hard drive.
Sampler, i should get one. What's a good cheap one? I think cool thing to do would be sample fav lines from movies as inspirational backdrop
darthbatman

committed
committed

Postby friendship » Tue Feb 10, 2015 2:46 pm

darthbatman wrote:Am I the only one that comes up with the best shit when nobody happened to hit RECORD ? :lol:

Always always always
sound journal

actualidiot wrote:12-bit's almost analog, right?
friendship

IAMILFFAMOUS
IAMILFFAMOUS

Previous

Return to Music