So. Umm. WTF happened to Mastodon?!

Moderator: Ghost Hip

Re: So. Umm. WTF happened to Mastodon?!

Postby Twangasaurus » Wed Oct 01, 2014 11:45 pm

While we are on the topic of favorite Mastodon albums Blood Mountain pretty much single handedly got me into metal so... yeah, I like Blood Mountain a lot. Honestly, the new album is pretty much the only album of theirs that I have heard that I have disliked (haven't listened to Remission though). Hunter was pretty fun but obviously the end of the Mastodon as I knew them.
Lobstrosity wrote:Dad-a-chum? Dod-a-chock?
Twangasaurus

FAMOUS
FAMOUS

Postby jamesmikelly » Thu Oct 02, 2014 1:56 am

I didn't hate it. They didn't expect me to take a second of it seriously and I didn't. I feel like because of them going full beer commercial rock I actually am enjoying this song more than The Hunter material, which tried to walk the line between the past and future and didn't satisfy me at all. Nothing I'll jam in my spare time, will definitely make my friends watch the video and crack up at the guitar solo's psychedelic booty scenery.
jamesmikelly

committed
committed

Postby dase » Thu Oct 02, 2014 2:08 am

futuresailors wrote:Does that even still count as metal?

possibly waxed mustache metal, although the super clean vocals are even pushing it out of that range. Maybe into end of season highlights reel metal? They've definitely gone door guy metal (remission), had a stop off at burrito metal (leviathan) through to line cook / kitchen metal (crack the skye).
dase

HERO
HERO

Postby DarkAxel » Thu Oct 02, 2014 2:15 am

futuresailors wrote:Does that even still count as metal?

it hardly does and I don't think there's anything wrong with that :idk:

But yeah, even I, although I liked Hunter and the rest of this album, knew that this track was shit the first time I heard it :lol: i'm not lost
I make pedal demos as East Stomp Boutique - http://www.youtube.com/c/eaststompboutique

great deals: Jwar Kayzer Bellyheart wfs1234 bronzetalon Ech0 Scruffie MaxMaps solarolosonoio Schlatte WeHuntKings Monkeydancer Eric! Univalve Huggernaut fuzzmax amorphous Tristan Goroth dan_abnormal Obulus Jrmy BitchPudding beezlebub ianmarks darkfield Abanoise Jskadiang Disarm D'Arcy Snufkino Gerb somethingclever fidget
DarkAxel

IAMILFFAMOUS
IAMILFFAMOUS

Postby foomanfat » Thu Oct 02, 2014 8:03 am

So, what's the general opinion on clean, melodic vocals in metal?
Hey! Let's talk about serious thing. We're gonna talk about guitar, dude.
daseb wrote:sorry dude, I apologise, val kilmer was a great songwriter and truly understood the mystic ways of the native american.
foomanfat

IAMILFFAMOUS
IAMILFFAMOUS

Postby dase » Thu Oct 02, 2014 8:16 am

Depends entirely on the band/style/whatever. NWOBHM would sound pretty silly with Cookie Monster vocals. But if corrupted had auto tuned whining over the top they'd sound toy as.
dase

HERO
HERO

Postby gunslinger_burrito » Thu Oct 02, 2014 8:50 am

dase wrote:possibly waxed mustache metal, although the super clean vocals are even pushing it out of that range. Maybe into end of season highlights reel metal? They've definitely gone door guy metal (remission), had a stop off at burrito metal (leviathan) through to line cook / kitchen metal (crack the skye).

:lol:
I'll take leviathan as burrito metal.
Though I'm having difficulty understanding the progression from door guy metal through to kitchen metal. I thought it would be the other way around :idk:
gunslinger_burrito

IAMILF
IAMILF

Postby braaandooon » Thu Oct 02, 2014 9:25 am

All this talk of cookie monsters and waxed moustaches has me in a very particular mood this morning. Hatebeak is my folgers today, my co workers are absolutely hating it right now.

http://youtu.be/VwXKR9EWhXo

Embed-tarded on my mobile, but link is a metal outfit headed by a squawking parrot, what kind of metal would this be?
Biggest Muff --> http://imgur.com/Tif0mdU

braaandooon

experienced
experienced

Postby Jakezor » Thu Oct 02, 2014 9:37 am

Shitting on Newspaper Metal?
Jakezor

committed
committed

Postby braaandooon » Thu Oct 02, 2014 9:46 am

Lmao, this incident came to mind actually, so Dillinger may take that title...

http://www.nme.com/photos/the-21-grosse ... 170145/7/1
Biggest Muff --> http://imgur.com/Tif0mdU

braaandooon

experienced
experienced

Postby jrmy » Thu Oct 02, 2014 10:47 am

foomanfat wrote:So, what's the general opinion on clean, melodic vocals in metal?

I've never been a fan of either extreme (cookie monster or operatic) - I like a good gruff Lemmy-esque bark, or melodic-but-not-soaring vox. Of course, there are exceptions, but I've fully come to grips with the fact that, having grown up with late 80's/early 90's thrash, I am officially into "old-guy metal," and am not a key demographic any more... although there seems to be a ton of retro-thrash going around these days...
I'm more like a mids-ist than a bassist.
"The main rule on ILF is don't be an asshole." - Tom Dalton
I can't wait to annoy the shit out of you with my mountain of mids. - bigchiefbc
https://thewirechimes.bandcamp.com/releases
http://crotchthrottle.bandcamp.com/
https://www.instagram.com/jrmyfuzz/
jrmy

IAMILFFAMOUS
IAMILFFAMOUS

Postby Twangasaurus » Thu Oct 02, 2014 11:16 am

dase wrote:Depends entirely on the band/style/whatever. NWOBHM would sound pretty silly with Cookie Monster vocals. But if corrupted had auto tuned whining over the top they'd sound toy as.

Of topic but I just never understood how "toy" became a part of "street" lexicon. It's literally the most flacid piece of slang ever.
Twangasaurus

FAMOUS
FAMOUS

Postby dase » Thu Oct 02, 2014 5:47 pm

That's because you only get up on legals :)
dase

HERO
HERO

Postby dub » Thu Oct 02, 2014 6:58 pm

gunslinger_burrito wrote:
dase wrote:possibly waxed mustache metal, although the super clean vocals are even pushing it out of that range. Maybe into end of season highlights reel metal? They've definitely gone door guy metal (remission), had a stop off at burrito metal (leviathan) through to line cook / kitchen metal (crack the skye).

:lol:
I'll take leviathan as burrito metal.
Though I'm having difficulty understanding the progression from door guy metal through to kitchen metal. I thought it would be the other way around :idk:

Bouncers are aggro and line cooks are high as balls. Possibly.

It's been a weird fucking journey, I've been listening to Mastodon since they formed (big TITD fan), and have pretty much recoiled in horror at every new release. Then in various ways grown to enjoy them. The pop flourishes started creeping in immediately with Leviathan, a track like Naked Burn I hated at first. Then adapted. Back then I found the terrible vocals endearing, I think I'd prefer them over the studio polished ones nowadays, in fact all the rough edges have been rubbed off haven't they? Also that tension, that definitely came out of TITD and Lethargy, it's just gone completely, everything feels sickeningly comfortable.
Blood Mountain was a let down for me because it seemed to be heading in the same direction, and felt like a bit of a retread of Leviathan, with a couple of more wacked out moments, but somehow felt less epic? I really loved Crack the Skye, if they weren't going to punch you in the face anymore, I could get behind ridiculous prog. Couldn't really get into the Hunter at all. There's moments on this latest one I enjoy, probably just the solos really. They're the only parts that feel chaotic anymore.
I'll always have time for them I guess.

It's funny, they were called the next Metallica early on, and while they aren't on that level of cultural success, their career has some hilarious parallels. Not least of all that everyone's gotta have an opinion about them aha.
MATAMPS & TRASHED GUITARS
trades: Eric!, johndammit, Holy Schnikes, TheDandy, chatmatt, skullservant, intothegroove, Boxbie, bob the r0bot, sergiomunoz74, Laowiz, DannDubbleEwe, coldbrightsunlight
dub

committed
committed

Postby Twangasaurus » Fri Oct 03, 2014 3:49 am

dase wrote:That's because you only get up on legals :)

Probably but don't you be lipping me Thomas O'Malley! :p
Twangasaurus

FAMOUS
FAMOUS

PreviousNext

Return to Music