Great covers of horrible originals

Moderator: Ghost Hip

Re: Great covers of horrible originals

Postby bigchiefbc » Sat Feb 01, 2014 3:03 pm

misterstomach wrote:i actually saw the thread title and thought of the johnny cash NIN thing. what he did with that song is amazing.

Man, I find it crazy that Cash/NIN was everyone's thought on this thread. Do that many people really think NIN sucks, especially Downward Spiral era? That just blows my mind, it's crazy how different tastes can be. Maybe it's because I was a depressed 15-year-old when it came out, but holy fucking shit that album resonated with me, and I thought it was a masterpiece. I mean, I get that everyone loved Cash, but I think both versions are great. :idk:
Buy my gear! viewtopic.php?f=44&t=58763

Achtane wrote:I can hit it with a Blowing Up and it'll just sound awesome instead of like capacitors farting into each others' dicks.

Achtane wrote:
last.fm wrote:Zs makes music that is variously categorized as no-wave, post-jazz, brutal-chamber, brutal-prog, and post minimalist.

srsly?

Fuck you.
bigchiefbc

IAMILFFAMOUS
IAMILFFAMOUS

Postby Jero » Sat Feb 01, 2014 4:06 pm

Not horrible I guess but...

I make noise toys under Stomping Stones

oldangelmidnight wrote:This is the classic ILF I love. Emotional highs and lows. Scooped mids in my heart all day long.
Jero

IAMILFFAMOUS
IAMILFFAMOUS

Postby Ugly Nora » Sat Feb 01, 2014 8:14 pm

bigchiefbc wrote:
misterstomach wrote:i actually saw the thread title and thought of the johnny cash NIN thing. what he did with that song is amazing.

Man, I find it crazy that Cash/NIN was everyone's thought on this thread. Do that many people really think NIN sucks, especially Downward Spiral era? That just blows my mind, it's crazy how different tastes can be. Maybe it's because I was a depressed 15-year-old when it came out, but holy fucking shit that album resonated with me, and I thought it was a masterpiece. I mean, I get that everyone loved Cash, but I think both versions are great. :idk:

If you like NIN, that's all that matters. I personally hate them. But who cares what yahoos like me think? :idk:
Ugly Nora

IAMILFFAMOUS
IAMILFFAMOUS

Postby jfrey » Tue Feb 04, 2014 12:22 pm

On the subject of NIN, I think I'm the only person in the world that was like obsessed with Broken.
D.o.S. wrote:You're like a walking Mad Men episode.

BitchPudding wrote:DO WHAT MUST BE DONE, LORD JFREY.

friendship wrote:one cool thing about living is that things get worse and worse and worse until you die

My music rec Twitter: https://twitter.com/MostlyEssential
jfrey

Supporter
Supporter

Postby D.o.S. » Tue Feb 04, 2014 12:26 pm

dub wrote:Some possibly incoherent thoughts.

I think the chief theme and concern of metal is power. Wielding it, critiquing it, trangressing against it, embodying it, having the freedom to. That's not necessarily toughness. An obvious macho concept really. I understand the crossover; power and autonomy have been traditionally masculine traits. So metal takes on masculine trappings, denies the feminine, shit, becomes a safe space where young men can figure out their masculinity to the exclusion of women, play at mythic and legendary roles, indulge fantasy and escape from the the gender binary through a mono-gendered environment. (All metalheads are male regardless of physical gender?) Women often have to perform masculine roles to "pass" as authentic metalheads, dress like guys (or be derided as fishnet-ed "sluts"), play "masculine" roles in bands like drums, guitars, or perform their vocals in a lower register to be respected; Contrast with the feminine back-up singer, emasculated bass player, keyboardist). With the advent of post-metal (lol), older themes and trappings fall away, traditional (now-)"cheesy" metal aesthetics become confined to various subgenres, overall subculture offers the opportunity to escape the pressures and expectations of mainstream gender roles, allows new rules to be written by a community, if it wants.

Metal is inherently ridiculous. I don't know any metalheads who think they're tough guys or take themselves super-serious.
Maybe 14 year old pantera fans or something? Although I guess we never let go of that a little bit, aha

The two screams you mention are interesting, because I think they both mirror the instrumental approach of either band. Halford's vocals are powerful, they're meant to impress, not intimidate. Like a hyper technical guitar solo, they are displays of mastery.

Araya's? Well I can't imagine Angel of Death without that scream, it's one of the more human moments in a cold, unflinching song about the holocaust that walks an uncomfortable line by laying out its subject matter sans judgment. Metal doesn't need to moralise because it trusts its audience to know what's right, it's atavistic, harking back to a more cut and dried moral viewpoint, but libertarian in it's individual approach, "make up your own fucking mind". Everything Slayer sings about is horrible, they assume you know that, but by leaving out the editorial voice, the audience (who listen to metal to feel empowered) are put in the situation of listening to atrocities commited by people in power, while simultaneously feeling powerful. If it wasn't for that scream, I think you could put forward a far more powerful argument for the song crossing that line from empowerment to glorification (although as a metalhead I don't agree at all). Also it's the vocal equivalent of their guitarwork, that atonal madness and chaotic noise that signified the divorce between blues based "heavy metal" and what would come after, just fucking "metal".

I wonder, is a man who sounds like a women scarier than a diabolic figure who sounds like you would expect? What would Satan sound like? Would he defy expectation? Send shivers and disgust up the spines of those who think they're righteous?

Vocals are so hugely personal though. I'm not much of a fan of low growling death vocals, but love a good black metal rasp or just some hideous shrieking (the high pitched double-tracked bad trip of Steve Austin's stuff in TITD? Fucking great.) I get why it might not float someone else's boat. Metal's a pretty big tent though, plenty of room for everyone.

How dare you.

Blue Oyster Cult is fucking awesome.
good deals are here.
escapecraft is here.
UglyCasanova wrote: It's not the expensive programs you use, it's the way you click and drag.

Achtane wrote:
comesect2.0 wrote:Michael Jackson king tut little Richard in your butt.

IT'S THE ENNNND OF THE WORRRLD AS WE KNOW IT
D.o.S.

IAMILFFAMOUS
IAMILFFAMOUS

Postby bigchiefbc » Tue Feb 04, 2014 3:49 pm

jfrey wrote:On the subject of NIN, I think I'm the only person in the world that was like obsessed with Broken.

Definitely not the only one, Broken was my introduction to NIN, and I love it to this day. I didn't hear Pretty Hate Machine until later.
Buy my gear! viewtopic.php?f=44&t=58763

Achtane wrote:I can hit it with a Blowing Up and it'll just sound awesome instead of like capacitors farting into each others' dicks.

Achtane wrote:
last.fm wrote:Zs makes music that is variously categorized as no-wave, post-jazz, brutal-chamber, brutal-prog, and post minimalist.

srsly?

Fuck you.
bigchiefbc

IAMILFFAMOUS
IAMILFFAMOUS

Postby Mudfuzz » Wed Feb 05, 2014 9:46 pm

D.o.S. wrote:How dare you.
Blue Oyster Cult is fucking awesome.

ImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImage
Mudfuzz

HERO
HERO

Postby dub » Wed Feb 05, 2014 10:56 pm

I love the original too. Guess I was in the "covers that improve on the originals" mode of thought.
MATAMPS & TRASHED GUITARS
trades: Eric!, johndammit, Holy Schnikes, TheDandy, chatmatt, skullservant, intothegroove, Boxbie, bob the r0bot, sergiomunoz74, Laowiz, DannDubbleEwe, coldbrightsunlight
dub

committed
committed

Postby nieh » Thu Feb 06, 2014 2:28 am

Chankgeez wrote:(Don't worry, spouses come and go, ILF is forever.)

nieh

IAMILF
IAMILF

Postby well... it's green » Fri Feb 07, 2014 1:22 am

so much better without all the moaning and out of tune offset guitar sounds :)*
well... it's green

committed
committed

Postby D.o.S. » Mon Mar 02, 2015 4:31 pm

Back from the dead:
good deals are here.
escapecraft is here.
UglyCasanova wrote: It's not the expensive programs you use, it's the way you click and drag.

Achtane wrote:

D.o.S.

IAMILFFAMOUS
IAMILFFAMOUS

Postby trace » Mon Mar 02, 2015 7:31 pm

^ That was fucking great but horrible original I think not.

In NIN's defense I nominate this... not that it'll change anyone's mind that doesn't like them, but god I hate Queen.
trace

experienced
experienced

Postby Blackened Soul » Mon Mar 02, 2015 8:53 pm

Blackened Soul

IAMILFFAMOUS
IAMILFFAMOUS

Postby goroth » Tue Mar 03, 2015 3:48 pm

Therion's Summernight City is rad.

But the original is also great.

David Lee Roth's California Girls > Beach Boys (because DLR).

And I love pretty much everything Sabbath have done. But I also love this:

Hmm... this is mostly covers that are substantially different from the originals rather than being good covers of crap songs. Oh well.
ALLisNOISE wrote:you can dial in some wonderfully smeared 12bit cascades of cicadas leveling a hail of rockets against an army of rusty box fans!

Latest album out on all streaming services and bandcamp and what not.
Spotify /// Apple Music
My band /// Instagram ///Bandcamp ///
goroth

HERO
HERO

Postby D.o.S. » Tue Mar 03, 2015 4:17 pm

Mudfuzz wrote:
goroth wrote:And I love pretty much everything Sabbath have done. But I also love this:

ImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImage
good deals are here.
escapecraft is here.

Achtane wrote:

D.o.S.

IAMILFFAMOUS
IAMILFFAMOUS

PreviousNext

Return to Music