phasers up in this bitch

Moderator: Ghost Hip

Re: phasers up in this bitch

Postby Doctor X » Thu Feb 14, 2013 10:28 am

DarkAxel wrote:So after a bit of rehearsing and playing shows with it, I decided to part ways with my Faye Sing

it's awesome, but for my band, i need something more "funky" and not as nasal or vocal

so i need something that's cool for that funky stuff as well as for slower psychedelic pads and faster "almost leslie-like" stuff. I don'T want a Whetstone, it's way too complicated for me... i've had good experience with Small Stones, should i try finding some vintage one? (i don't like the nano)

or should i try a Grand Orbiter?

(i also don't want a Stereo Polyphase, Pigtronix EP-1 or Boss PH-2 which i love but doesn't sound the way i need)

what settings do you have it on?
you tried it with a much shallower range, 6-stage and low feedback?

for a less 'colouring' 4-stage there is the mxr phase 90 types, either the mxr vintage one, or the retrosonic is very good, and the subdecay baby quasar is excellent, very sharp and clean.

i havent tried them myself but the wounded paw p90 and malekko sound good in the demos.
Sold to: dan_abnormal (3 times), Abanoise, Kayzer, Ragged Trousers, Schlatte
Bought from: McSpunckle, RitalinCupcake, Tendollarcat, Brobee, Ryan, cedarskies, behndy
Doctor X

experienced
experienced

Postby sultanofswig » Thu Feb 14, 2013 11:12 pm

DarkAxel wrote:So after a bit of rehearsing and playing shows with it, I decided to part ways with my Faye Sing

it's awesome, but for my band, i need something more "funky" and not as nasal or vocal

so i need something that's cool for that funky stuff as well as for slower psychedelic pads and faster "almost leslie-like" stuff. I don'T want a Whetstone, it's way too complicated for me... i've had good experience with Small Stones, should i try finding some vintage one? (i don't like the nano)

(i also don't want a Stereo Polyphase, Pigtronix EP-1 or Boss PH-2 which i love but doesn't sound the way i need)

Have you checked out the Subdecay Quantum Quasar? Got one a couple weeks ago and I really dig it. Does some funky "step"-type rhythmic stuff but also excels at pretty lush "vintage" phase sounds and the price is way reasonable. There are only a couple demos online, unfortunately.
sultanofswig

committed
committed

Postby rustywire » Fri Feb 15, 2013 6:48 am

If you're up for the challenge of finding one [not using, it has 3knobs] then Effectrode Phase-O-Matic PM2C. It's a 4 stage tube phaser for about $300-340, and they pop up on ebay maybe a half dozen times a year.

Pros: Sound, Construction, Ease of use, Features, Buffer, Versatility
Cons: Price, Size, Power requirements [can run off a PP2+ courtesy outlet but none of the isolated outs]

Like your Faye Sing, it too supports Ring+ expression pedals... and with Speed knob at min, it's a fixed [adjustable] notch filter.
From there it oscillates, with something like a 40second sweep that can go down to like 40ms.
Can emulate Leslie sounds, phase-wah, wakka wakka funk, add subtle depth to your tone, and sound like a UFO invasion or soaring through space with the Silver Surfer. Wave knob changes the waveform from triangle to sine to square to stepped, and blends types as you cycle through them.

The PM2C plus a newly acquired BEZ Street Sweeper have ended the phaser search, and confirmed that I'm a phasing guy.
However, while no longer actively looking...I still want a VFE and Faye Sing, as well.
4 different phasers because I'm the Wind. Whoosh!

It's like that.
[B/S/T shoutouts] Shortlist: Hollow Earth|Ct5|856|Condor|Thermae|OP-1|half track reel2reel|Prophet6 ... :whoa:
rfurtkamp wrote:The only transparent thing I own is a set of drinking glasses.
rustywire

IAMILFFAMOUS
IAMILFFAMOUS

Postby DarkAxel » Fri Feb 15, 2013 10:16 am

thanks for the opinions, guys :)

the Effectrode is way too expensive for me i'm afraid... but i'll think about the Subdecays ;) thanks!

so it might be about trying what pops up in B/S/T... Grand Orbiter and Subdecays are on the top of the list

anyway - with mellower settings, it doesn't feel present enough for me :idk:
I make pedal demos as East Stomp Boutique - http://www.youtube.com/c/eaststompboutique

great deals: Jwar Kayzer Bellyheart wfs1234 bronzetalon Ech0 Scruffie MaxMaps solarolosonoio Schlatte WeHuntKings Monkeydancer Eric! Univalve Huggernaut fuzzmax amorphous Tristan Goroth dan_abnormal Obulus Jrmy BitchPudding beezlebub ianmarks darkfield Abanoise Jskadiang Disarm D'Arcy Snufkino Gerb somethingclever fidget
DarkAxel

IAMILFFAMOUS
IAMILFFAMOUS

Postby Chankgeez » Fri Feb 15, 2013 10:21 am

psychic vampire. wrote:The important take away from this thread: Taoism and Ring Modulators go together?
…...........................…
Sweet dealin's: here
"Now, of course, Strega is not a Minimoog… and I am not Sun Ra" - dude from MAKENOISE
#GreenRinger
Chankgeez

IAMILFFAMOUS
IAMILFFAMOUS

Location: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FGhbeHujNZQ youtube.com/watch?v=V-2l7kkBURc

Postby Casavettes » Fri Feb 15, 2013 10:27 am

Damn... and Lafayette isn't too far from me. If only I was rich
Casavettes

IAMILF
IAMILF

Postby Chankgeez » Fri Feb 15, 2013 10:53 am

Yeah, just go pick it up. You'll save on the shipping.
psychic vampire. wrote:The important take away from this thread: Taoism and Ring Modulators go together?
…...........................…
Sweet dealin's: here
"Now, of course, Strega is not a Minimoog… and I am not Sun Ra" - dude from MAKENOISE
#GreenRinger
Chankgeez

IAMILFFAMOUS
IAMILFFAMOUS

Location: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FGhbeHujNZQ youtube.com/watch?v=V-2l7kkBURc

Postby Casavettes » Fri Feb 15, 2013 11:04 am

Darn calculated shipping
Casavettes

IAMILF
IAMILF

Postby amorphous » Fri Feb 15, 2013 11:12 am

sweet jeebus, i didn't see this post!

yep, final phase does the EXP sweep too - and you can do the EXP sweep WHILE it sweeps the phase too. It's pretty dope, you can use the EXP to speed shit up when you need accents.... :thumb:

behndy wrote:
amorphous wrote:
behndy wrote:that's a very good description of the Faye. i never run it without at least OD into it. and it changes the character of fuzz SO MUCH. notching it into a spot and leaving it there can give you 4 distinct fuzz flavors (SECHS) from one fuzz.

so. HAWT.

hells yes! agreed.

that is also why i like my A/DA final phase - does that, only DEEPER. You like it deeper Behndy. :yay:

*giggles*

*wiggles*

oh YOU.

does the Final Phase have an expression input? that's the way i use the Faye. as an oddly toned foot swept filter.
amorphous

Supporter
Supporter

Previous

Return to General Gear