penny pedals boss ds-1 bass mod

Postby dig420 » Tue Feb 23, 2010 4:27 am

does anyone know how to get one of these pedals? pls help
dig420

uncommitted
uncommitted

Re: penny pedals boss ds-1 bass mod

Postby elbandito » Tue Feb 23, 2010 4:34 am

Nothing's coming outta Penny Pedals for a while... Find one used, or cross your fingers and wait.
Also, this thread should be in the 'Gear' section. :poke:
superheavyFUNK
Fuzczk & F!zz

I am ELBAN, THE TROLL SLAYER!!!!
- fide fuzz semper fidelis - ILF downtime 2011 on FB veteran

hey, i'm cool! follow me on twitter: @ricardo_bandito
elbandito

FAMOUS
FAMOUS

Postby FuzzHugger » Tue Feb 23, 2010 5:11 am

Yes...he essentially abandoned his pedal business--he has largely been unresponsive since spring/summer 09, appearing once or twice only to totally disappear again. You'll have to look to some other manufacturer's DS-1 mods, unless you can find a Penny Pedals one used.
FuzzHugger

Admin
Admin

Postby dig420 » Tue Feb 23, 2010 7:26 am

do you know any off hand? and will they be the same mod? from what i read on the website he put his own touch to it?
dig420

uncommitted
uncommitted

Postby smile_man » Tue Feb 23, 2010 8:04 am

dig420 wrote:do you know any off hand? and will they be the same mod? from what i read on the website he put his own touch to it?

I doubt you'll find someone else doing to same mod. At one time I think he was going to put up the schematic that he used for it, don't know if he actually did though.
http://tsunshining.bandcamp.com/ - jamz
http://www.jamiecoxxx.tumblr.com - art jamz
zackv wrote:stop fooling around and shell out the 320$

SPACERITUAL wrote:SPAAAAAAAAAAAAAAACERRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRITUAAAAAAAAAAAAAL
smile_man

IAMILFFAMOUS
IAMILFFAMOUS

Postby dig420 » Tue Feb 23, 2010 8:07 am

any ideas on a pedal that kinda sounds the same?
dig420

uncommitted
uncommitted

Postby steevdeadman » Tue Feb 23, 2010 11:17 am

I don't know if this guy is still doing it, but he does tell you how it's done. The clips sounded really cool.

http://www.talkbass.com/forum/showthread.php?t=461804
"abandon all hope ye who crush that button..." :rock:

Jrmy: Exactly - "the fuzz is strong with that one."
steevdeadman

FAMOUS
FAMOUS

Postby ifeellikeatourist » Tue Feb 23, 2010 5:57 pm

dig420 wrote:any ideas on a pedal that kinda sounds the same?

steevdeadman wrote:I don't know if this guy is still doing it, but he does tell you how it's done. The clips sounded really cool.

http://www.talkbass.com/forum/showthread.php?t=461804

I dunno if this mod is the same as the pp one, but I would be happy to do this mod (or any other ds-1 mod you may find) for someone...as would probably a lot of folks around here... :idk:
goroth wrote:Most builders are content on reproducing the same crap. Which is fine. Most guitarists want the same crap.
ifeellikeatourist

experienced
experienced

Postby dig420 » Thu Feb 25, 2010 7:07 am

so you can mod the ds-1 for bass? can you put a 2-way do-od switch on it?
dig420

uncommitted
uncommitted

Postby ifeellikeatourist » Thu Feb 25, 2010 7:56 pm

the mod on talkbass sounds like it would be pretty simple to do and make a big difference in the overall sound. The overdrive/distortion switch is the one thing that I just have no idea how it was done. Installing a switch is easy...if one wanted, a switch could be installed for each of the six components replaced in the mod to toggle between the stock and modded values...although realistically that would take up quite a bit of space in the enclosure...I think maybe the best thing to do for that type of switch would maybe be to set it up to toggle between different diodes for different amounts/types of clipping...it also might make a big difference to replace R7 with a pot in order to control the amount of gain supplied to the transistor gain stage. According to the circuit analysis in the premier guitar article (http://www.premierguitar.com/Magazine/Issue/2008/Feb/Boss_DS_1_Mods.aspx)

"R7 controls the gain of this circuit by changing the voltage bias, consisting of a 470k resistor which you can increase or decrease in value to adjust gain before the next stage. Increasing the value increases gain, while decreasing it will give you a little less gain overall but will tighten up the DS-1’s low-end response, ridding it of the flubbiness many people dislike."

So maybe I could put a higher-resistance pot in there to allow you to fine-tune the gain, cranking it up a bit or reducing it a bit while "tightening up the low end response," or you could toggle between two different values of resistors with a switch. I guess you don't know till you try, but I bet that would be useful...I think there's definitely many ways that you could find to adjust the pedal between a higher/lower gain sound, though. Anyone else have any other ideas? Here's the schematic:
Attachments
schematic.pdf
(90.91 KiB) Downloaded 175 times
goroth wrote:Most builders are content on reproducing the same crap. Which is fine. Most guitarists want the same crap.
ifeellikeatourist

experienced
experienced

Postby Derelict78 » Thu Jun 16, 2011 4:57 pm

I found this on Talkbass
All caps Panasonic 'red' metal film except where noted. The only source I could find for the Panasonic 1.0 uF caps was Digikey, but small bear might have them now not sure. Be careful de-soldering the old caps, Boss PCB quality is ehhh... not what it used to be.

C1 - .1uF
C2 - 1.0 uF non-polar metal film (NP MF)
C3 - 1.0 uF NP MF
C4 - .022uF
C5 - .1 uF
C7 - .00022uF (22pF) ceramic disc
C8 - 1.0 uF NP MF
C9 - 1.0 uF NP MF
C11 - .1 uF
C12 - .1 uF (no need to change really, same value higher quality cap)
C13 - .1 uF
C14 - 1.0 uF NP MF (again, just a quality upgrade sounds the same here)

Switch: this is the tough part. Completely de-solder one leg of diodes D4 and D5, the side closest to the input jack. push the legs out through the circuit board and carefully twist them together. Then solder wire from these tow legs to one side of a SPDT Switch, and wire the other side of the switch back to the hole where those two diodes were; this switch will now lift the clipping section in and out of the pedal. This is the Distortion or Overdrive mode switch.

If that sounds like a lot to do, check out the sound samples and choose one version and don't add the switch. I always preferred the diode lifted mode; for this just clip out D4 and D5. Or, leave them in for permanent nasty heavy fuzzstortion.

enjoy. :animal:
aen wrote:Or I'll just use fuzz. Then Ill sound cool regardless.

Achtane wrote:Well, volcanoes are pretty fuckin' cool. Like I guess lava flows are doomy. Slow and still able to to melt your eardrums.
Derelict78

IAMILFFAMOUS
IAMILFFAMOUS

Postby Derelict78 » Thu Jun 16, 2011 10:14 pm

WOW I just did this mod and it is REALY cool! big and bassy. The OD switch makes all the difference.
aen wrote:Or I'll just use fuzz. Then Ill sound cool regardless.

Achtane wrote:Well, volcanoes are pretty fuckin' cool. Like I guess lava flows are doomy. Slow and still able to to melt your eardrums.
Derelict78

IAMILFFAMOUS
IAMILFFAMOUS

Postby Hacken » Fri Jun 17, 2011 1:41 pm

check out http://stinkfoot.se/stinkfoot/bas he has a bass mod for DS-1. The page is in swedish but drop him an e-mail if you want to know more. Andreas is one of the good guys!
Hacken

committed
committed

Return to General Gear