Seppuku FX

Moderator: Ghost Hip

Re: Seppuku FX

Postby Howsyrface » Wed Aug 30, 2017 8:53 pm

I purchased a Hystronic Modulator/Hysteresis on Reverb on a whim because of a good price, and I am kind of mystified by it so far. I'm not sure what all the controls do. It seems almost certain that the knob on the right hand side is wet/dry mix, and the bottom two knobs on the left are the two lfo speed. I think the knob above that might be how the two lfos are blended. No idea what the toggle switch and the push button do yet. Anyone had this pedal and could help me out? any suggested settings? Thanks!
Howsyrface

involved
involved

Postby $harkToootth » Wed Aug 30, 2017 9:44 pm

Ugh I just played mine last month. I don't know the controls off the top of my head but let me plug in tomorrow and I can help you out. It took me a couple of minutes to "understand" what was happening.
"SWIPE LEFT ASSHOLE!" -retinal orbita
"Whatever ASSHOLE here’s my pedal that makes humpback whale noises and also it has a built in sequencer so stick it in your craw! -retinal orbita
"Patty Mullen takes me from a ball peen to a sledge" -The Great Velvet Hammer
"...at this exact moment Divine has learned of your jealous scheme from the local town gossip. She also has your address, ASS HOLE!" -Narrator (Mr. J) PINK FLAMINGOS
1 bird per post please
$harkToootth

IAMILFFAMOUS
IAMILFFAMOUS

Postby $harkToootth » Thu Aug 31, 2017 11:39 am

Okay, following up. Gotta call a spade a spade here and say I have no idea what these controls do :lol:. I remember thinking that knob was the wet/dry signal too but...it isn't. Certain knob settings in different configurations give me a dry signal (which would make sense if the two knobs below are oscillators out of audio range?). It's an odd one. Two knobs are Oscillators of some sort that much I know. EDIT: On the site they are 'wide range oscillators' so maybe that has to do why they straight up oscillate to a 'tunable' pitch yet, act as LFO's in other settings (at some point in my playing, I got "mild" phasing/chorus sounds).
If all else you made me remember how much I enjoy that pedal though! If you get it to certain settings you don't need any drums on your track. The LFOS (let's call them WRO's :lol:) crack up the amp rhythmically so you can get a four-on-the-floor crackling in your amp and play some space disco.

I thought the red button was 1. Wet/Dry together and 2. Just wet like on the Kompact Kassette. This pedal humbled me today... :animal:.
"Whatever ASSHOLE here’s my pedal that makes humpback whale noises and also it has a built in sequencer so stick it in your craw! -retinal orbita
"...at this exact moment Divine has learned of your jealous scheme from the local town gossip. She also has your address, ASS HOLE!" -Narrator (Mr. J) PINK FLAMINGOS
1 bird per post please
$harkToootth

IAMILFFAMOUS
IAMILFFAMOUS

Postby Howsyrface » Thu Aug 31, 2017 5:13 pm

Hahah, thanks, glad you had some fun! i wonder what the mysterious toggle is...
Howsyrface

involved
involved

Postby estragon » Sun Sep 03, 2017 7:44 pm

Does anyone know how much an old Sub-Octave Synth would be worth now? Just found my old one in storage.
estragon

interested
interested

Postby Pepe » Mon Sep 04, 2017 1:38 am

I paid 180 EUR for a brand new Octave Synth in 2014. Since Rhys' prices have gone up overall and these cool units aren't going to be produced again (I really doubt it), I'd say that the value is around 130 to 160$.
Pepe at YouTube and Instagram
Pepe

IAMILF
IAMILF

Postby $harkToootth » Mon Oct 09, 2017 5:12 pm

Octave Drone back in stock for those interested http://seppukufx.com/products/octave-drone/
1 bird per post please
$harkToootth

IAMILFFAMOUS
IAMILFFAMOUS

Postby Pepe » Mon Oct 09, 2017 5:56 pm

I don't know if the recent models are as great sounding as my early Octave Drone. I have the first version (serial number 005!) with an extra mode:

Awesome with guitar, awesome with bass, awesome with drawbar organ, awesome with digital piano. :cool: I still have to try it with synths. I think that Rhys should have kept that drone knob which is a blend of normal distortion with the octave fuzz. Really versatile this way.
Pepe at YouTube and Instagram
Pepe

IAMILF
IAMILF

Postby moid » Sun Oct 15, 2017 7:46 pm

That drone knob sounds like a good idea - does it only work if the octave switch is on then? I've built this circuit a couple of times and added my own control to it to make it even more chaotic - you can watch a demo my son and I made of it here if you like:

moid

experienced
experienced

Postby Chankgeez » Sun Oct 15, 2017 7:59 pm

Sounds great there, moid! :!!!: :)*
psychic vampire. wrote:The important take away from this thread: Taoism and Ring Modulators go together?
…...........................…
Sweet dealin's: here
"Now, of course, Strega is not a Minimoog… and I am not Sun Ra" - dude from MAKENOISE
#GreenRinger
Chankgeez

IAMILFFAMOUS
IAMILFFAMOUS

Location: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FGhbeHujNZQ youtube.com/watch?v=V-2l7kkBURc

Postby BetterOffShred » Sun Oct 15, 2017 9:00 pm

So what's the Cadillac seppuku effect? I've seen a few and I'm curious
BetterOffShred

IAMILFFAMOUS
IAMILFFAMOUS

Postby UglyCasanova » Mon Oct 16, 2017 1:39 am

Horizontal Memory Loss.
UglyCasanova

IAMILFFAMOUS
IAMILFFAMOUS

Postby BetterOffShred » Mon Oct 16, 2017 11:06 am

UglyCasanova wrote:Horizontal Memory Loss.

Watched your demo for it! It looks pretty cool, kind of reminds me of the Echo Dream 2. Do you know if it runs a charge pump inside? The Echo Dream doesn't like the longest repeats and they get pretty ugly quick, but up to like 500ms they are pretty clean, and I mean it has a Fuzz knob.. Cmon! It's meant to be dirty. Does this pedal also have a "Wet only" switch? I'm not the biggest fan of that, but I think I just need to get a looper and layer that stuff with a reverb to make some ambient pad type noises.

Thanks for sharing :)
BetterOffShred

IAMILFFAMOUS
IAMILFFAMOUS

Postby UglyCasanova » Mon Oct 16, 2017 11:15 am

I've just started the work on cloning mine for shits and giggles (and knowledge), but I'm not a technical person at this point so IDK what a charge pump is. The button on the side is just a simple dirty boost. I'm probably gonna put that on the front of mine as a regular stomp instead.
UglyCasanova

IAMILFFAMOUS
IAMILFFAMOUS

Postby BetterOffShred » Mon Oct 16, 2017 11:35 am

UglyCasanova wrote:I've just started the work on cloning mine for shits and giggles (and knowledge), but I'm not a technical person at this point so IDK what a charge pump is. The button on the side is just a simple dirty boost. I'm probably gonna put that on the front of mine as a regular stomp instead.

Well the Echo Dream 2 uses an XR2206 modulation chip to generate the LFO, which runs at 10V or higher, (though there are reports of people getting it to work at 9.2V ish etc..) so you can use a 7660 chip or 1054 etc, to "Pump" your voltage up to 17ish Volts DC off a 9V source. I built one for my Echo Dream and run it at 15V, the oscillation circuit works way better. Originally I was running it off a 20V laptop power supply I ran through some 35V caps for filtration, it worked great too, but separate power supply for one pedal isn't my favorite. My ED2 is a clone I built bee tee dubs.

As for dirty boost, that's a cool feature. The ED2 just has a fuzz knob, which is a dirty boost as well. I'm not trying to compare this thing repeatedly to the ED2, it's just my only frame of reference on this type of effect! ;)
Once again, thanks for sharing and I enjoyed your demo!
BetterOffShred

IAMILFFAMOUS
IAMILFFAMOUS

PreviousNext

Return to General Gear