The inferior design (buyer beware) thread

Moderator: Ghost Hip

The inferior design (buyer beware) thread

Postby Blackened Soul » Sat Apr 22, 2023 6:08 pm

Some things are crap.
There are no excuses for crap. :mad:

#1 Ernie Ball Flat Ribbon Patch Cable :mad:
No shielding, they literally turn your pedalboard into a noise receiver.
They even add buzz when used with utility pedals like channel switches and expression pedals… how?
I am contemplating mailing them to Sterling Ball’s house!
Makes me have another reason to wish Dan was still alive, he should never have let them put these out.. :mad:
4C840E5E-B274-4785-99DB-91B85510560B.jpeg
4C840E5E-B274-4785-99DB-91B85510560B.jpeg (42.43 KiB) Viewed 1680 times
Blackened Soul

IAMILFFAMOUS
IAMILFFAMOUS

Re: The inferior design (buyer beware) thread

Postby Confuzzled » Mon Apr 24, 2023 1:00 pm

anything by aural dream pedals. just stay away.
Confuzzled

experienced
experienced

Postby le lambin » Mon Apr 24, 2023 2:55 pm

Blackened Soul wrote:No shielding

Do they really have no shielding at all? That is truly a bad design. Fundamentally bad. Can you even call it an instrument cable if there is no shielding? Good to know because they look like slick higher end patch cables from a distance.

I guess you could include any cheap “vintage” woodwind/brass wind instrument in this category- it’s literally never worth it. I have PTSD from trying to get any sound [i]at all[i] out of those old Bundy flutes- mechanically flawed from the get go.
le lambin

committed
committed

Postby Blackened Soul » Mon Apr 24, 2023 3:16 pm

le lambin wrote:
Blackened Soul wrote:No shielding
they look like slick higher end patch cables from a distance.

I know right, I have a bunch of hosas that look very similar and have no issues… the Ernie balls.. so much hum and noise…
Blackened Soul

IAMILFFAMOUS
IAMILFFAMOUS

Postby coupleonapkins » Tue Apr 25, 2023 12:28 am

Good morning!
coupleonapkins

IAMILF
IAMILF

Postby moozz » Tue Apr 25, 2023 11:18 am

Confuzzled wrote:anything by aural dream pedals. just stay away.

If anyone wants to get rid of Crystals Harmony by Aural Dream I'm the sucker you can try selling it to.
moozz

involved
involved

Postby Gone Fission » Tue Apr 25, 2023 10:46 pm

Fuck Duck! Most epic review video ever—“What. A. Dick.”
D.o.S. wrote:Broadly speaking, if we at ILF are dropping 300 bucks on a pedal it probably sounds like an SNES holocaust.
friendship wrote:death to false bleep-blop
UglyCasanova wrote:brb gonna slap my dick on my stomp boxes
Gone Fission

IAMILFFAMOUS
IAMILFFAMOUS

Postby Confuzzled » Thu Apr 27, 2023 10:37 am

moozz wrote:
Confuzzled wrote:anything by aural dream pedals. just stay away.

If anyone wants to get rid of Crystals Harmony by Aural Dream I'm the sucker you can try selling it to.

Save your money and get it out of your head. I bought it and it sounds NOTHING like the demos. Such a poorly designed piece of shit. Its essentially a pitch shifter with 2 fixed tremolo speeds.
Confuzzled

experienced
experienced

Postby echorec » Thu Apr 27, 2023 12:05 pm

I would suggest that people use caution when dealing with A/DA. There are multiple reports out there, including on ILF, that they've lost repair items and people were just completely burned. Is that due to the reissues being of substandard build quality or is it matter of poor organization? I can't really speak to that, but it's troubling when people are out a couple hundred dollars, due to manufacturers seemingly being in disarray.
echorec

IAMILFFAMOUS
IAMILFFAMOUS

Postby Gone Fission » Thu Apr 27, 2023 6:12 pm

I think A/DA is once again defunct. Really sucks for people screwed on their pending repairs.
D.o.S. wrote:Broadly speaking, if we at ILF are dropping 300 bucks on a pedal it probably sounds like an SNES holocaust.
Gone Fission

IAMILFFAMOUS
IAMILFFAMOUS

Postby goroth » Mon May 01, 2023 7:08 am

The old Catalin bread Harmonic Pixelator or whatever it was called. I had this one setting on it which sounded just like clavinet, it was awesome. Except that the carrier noise was fucking constant.

I also hated that the EHX Freeze I had at some point in time had what seemed like 0 noise filtering on the power. Even on an isolated output it managed to introduce noise into my rig just by existing.
ALLisNOISE wrote:you can dial in some wonderfully smeared 12bit cascades of cicadas leveling a hail of rockets against an army of rusty box fans!

Latest album out on all streaming services and bandcamp and what not.
Spotify /// Apple Music
My band /// Instagram ///Bandcamp ///
goroth

HERO
HERO

Postby Phosphene Audio » Wed May 03, 2023 6:06 am

Blackened Soul wrote:Some things are crap.
There are no excuses for crap. :mad:

#1 Ernie Ball Flat Ribbon Patch Cable :mad:
No shielding, they literally turn your pedalboard into a noise receiver.
They even add buzz when used with utility pedals like channel switches and expression pedals… how?
I am contemplating mailing them to Sterling Ball’s house!
Makes me have another reason to wish Dan was still alive, he should never have let them put these out.. :mad:
4C840E5E-B274-4785-99DB-91B85510560B.jpeg

I almost bought some of those when I recently re-did my pedalboard, looks like I dodged a bullet.

Similarly, I had a couple of Planet Waves patch cables that came free with something, and they also instantly added noise/hum.
Phosphene Audio

committed
committed

Postby Phosphene Audio » Wed May 03, 2023 6:10 am

Seeing as I used to build and sell pedals semi regularly (though I don't much at all, anymore), I don't want to personally call out any manufacturer, but, as someone who also buys pedals here and there, I'd love to see a list of fuzzes that barely (or don't) make it past unity with the knobs dimed. I've consistently been surprised at this. I know that's just how a lot of vintage designs that get repurposed into the market these days are, but I don't find it useful.
Phosphene Audio

committed
committed

Postby Gone Fission » Wed May 03, 2023 1:50 pm

quote="goroth"]I also hated that the EHX Freeze I had at some point in time had what seemed like 0 noise filtering on the power. Even on an isolated output it managed to introduce noise into my rig just by existing.[/quote]

I think I must have had the luckiest run ever on a One Spot daisy chain, since I never noticed a noise problem with mine while the wall wart still worked, including with the Freeze and other digital toys. It died at some point after I got my Cioks/Eventide DC-7/Power Max supply, so I can’t check whether I’m just deluding myself on noise performance. But EHX being EHX, I have no doubt that you’re right about the noise filtering sucking.

Phosphene Audio wrote:Seeing as I used to build and sell pedals semi regularly (though I don't much at all, anymore), I don't want to personally call out any manufacturer, but, as someone who also buys pedals here and there, I'd love to see a list of fuzzes that barely (or don't) make it past unity with the knobs dimed. I've consistently been surprised at this. I know that's just how a lot of vintage designs that get repurposed into the market these days are, but I don't find it useful.

I won a Mammoth Electronics [not Walrus Audio as I had initially brain farted] fuzz on IG that they released right before they folded. It was some generally Muff-ish thing that maybe felt a bit better under my fingers than most Muffs do to me, and maybe less scooped. But it needed to be at least 95% cranked on gain and volume to reach unity. (It was a built version of a kit, so I did wonder if it was a build error.) I fully disclosed that when I flipped it. I’ve kept other Muffs, but that volume issue really nudged me to list it.
Last edited by Gone Fission on Tue May 16, 2023 7:25 am, edited 1 time in total.
Gone Fission

IAMILFFAMOUS
IAMILFFAMOUS

Postby John » Thu May 04, 2023 5:08 pm

Phosphene Audio wrote:Similarly, I had a couple of Planet Waves patch cables that came free with something, and they also instantly added noise/hum.

These have always let me down.
John

IAMILF
IAMILF

Next

Return to General Gear