,.-~*´¨¯¨`*·~-.¸-[RONA GEAR RANKED]-,.-~*´¨¯¨`*·~-.¸

Moderator: Ghost Hip

Re: ,.-~*´¨¯¨`*·~-.¸-[RONA GEAR RANKED]-,.-~*´¨¯¨`*·~-.¸

Postby backwardsvoyager » Tue Jun 21, 2022 12:48 pm

just starting another long term gear fast so a pandemic retrospective seems appropriate. didn't realise I'd bought so much shit :lol:

*Strandberg Salen Classic: 10/10 - single-handedly stopped all wrist and shoulder pain when playing geetar, so basically the best purchase I've ever made.
Squier Paranormal Super-Sonic: 5/10 - really nice neck but needed way too much work to even remotely stay in tune. up yr hardware game, Squier.
Squier Bronco Bass: 8/10 - with a new P bass p/u and some nicer strings this was a really damn good recording bass.

Alexander Super Neo Matic: 7/10 - really versatile and quirky but kinda noisy even on an isolated PSU
AMT F1: 6/10 - kinda meh compared to newer preamps
*Blue Colander Tremond: 10/10 - best RAT clone, 99% as good as the OG on guitar and better on bass thanks to clean blend with LPF
Boss OC-5: 3/10 - eugh
DBA Echo Dream 2: 7/10 - prob my favourite pt2399 delay sound but considering how huge and spenno it is there are a lot of features missing
Dr Sci Atmosphere: 5/10 - could barely get a sound I liked out of it (sorrysorrysorry)
Dr Sci Reverberator: 8/10 - top tier simple verb
EA Throat Locust: 8/10 - straight up gnarly, just didn't suit my playing
EAE Dagger: 8/10 - top tier distortion, just overlapped a bit too much with the RAT
*EAE Halberd mkII: 9/10 - like a console overdrive that cuts harder than most distortion pedals. super articulate.
*EAE Model feT: 10)))/10 - makes everything sound better, all the time. haven't turned it off.
EAE Surveyor mkI: 9/10 - maybe the best dirt box ever for stacking
*EQD Aqueduct: 9/10 - pitch env. mode is like a goofy jazzmaster trem you can use with your foot. wish the speed and depth range was wider, but it's mad fun.
EQD Plumes: 5/10 - somewhat mediocre tubescreamer. voice switch is useful, though.
EQD Spires: 7/10 - great sounding fuzzes but not being able to stack and having no EQ kinda sucks, not worth flipper prices.
EHX 1440: 8/10 - pretty much flawless, but modern EHX peds are just so damn UGLY
Latent Lemon Audo Hurts: 7/10 - is harmonic perc
*MASF Raptio: 9/10 - yes
Poly Beebo: 8/10 - super high sound quality, keeps getting better with updates, convolution reverb is bliss, just not that great for live use.
*Red Panda Context 2: 9/10 - fav pedal reverb now. seamless trails when using momentarily or switching presets makes it really expressive. would be perfect if the spring algo wasn't awful.
Red Panda Tensor: 9/10 - near perfect piece of gear, just not that suited to quick glitches since you have to use 2 footswitches to capture/stop
Spaceman Aurora: 8/10 - feature set is kind of odd but it's a fantastic sounding flanger.
*Two Notes CAB M: 10/10 - best utility purchase. have used it for a headphone amp, jamming thru a PA system, DI recording, even just adding EQ or noise gate or whatever at the end of the chain.

*Roland JC-22: 9/10 - sounds like a JC, tiny, can keep up with most drummers.
Audient iD14 mkII: 8/10 - best sounding sub-$500 interface by far IMO but not very user friendly.
Elektron Model Cycles: 7/10 - didn't gel with it, but a good value piece of kit.
*Fishman TriplePlay: 9/10 - hands down best guitar-to-MIDI solution.

(* stuff I've actually kept and use regularly)
backwardsvoyager

IAMILFFAMOUS
IAMILFFAMOUS

Postby backwardsvoyager » Tue Jun 21, 2022 1:54 pm

vidret wrote:About the strandberg, that's interesting. Why is it that it helped, which shoulder/wrist? The right/picking hand shoulder doesn't have to be as internally rotated?

Regarding the halberd and model fet, I've heard people sing their praises but I just don't hear it in the demos. Every time I keep hearing about some piece of gear that everyone loves I do try to see the value in it, usually I'm just missing the angle. The surveyor crushes the halberd for me, but the model fet oughta be my thing entirely but the demos sound meh :idk:

I have tendonitis in both wrists, but it's the left/fretting one that gets real bad with guitar. the endurneck profile forces your hand to conform to a specific posture (the thumb rests on a plane surface and the neck itself is quite thick), and for me this posture seems to pretty much eliminate wrist fatigue.
w/r/t shoulders i'm mainly referring to playing standing up. it's so lightweight and well-balanced that it's no effort to stand up straight and maintain a decent posture while holding the guitar for long periods of time. sitting down you can easily hold them classical-style too, which seems to help some people.

Also I find demos of dirt pedals kind of useless tbh. To my ears the model feT and halberd sound way different in person. I think the appeal of the former is being able to spruce up solid state rigs or wrangle a similar response out of different amps, while the latter is unique in how well it maintains note clarity and how aggressive the attack is compared to anything else with a similar drive character.
backwardsvoyager

IAMILFFAMOUS
IAMILFFAMOUS

Postby cantremember » Tue Jun 21, 2022 4:39 pm

I like these list making threads. Anyway, thinking back for almost 3 years of gear is a little tough especially since I feel like I've had my ups and down as far as interest in playing music goes.

Pedals:
-Pladask Baklengs/ Draume - 10/10 because I can't really remember if these pedals were cool or not but I still have them so they probably are (yeah I know, great way to participate in the discussion)
-Vongon Ultrasheer - 10/10 Beautiful sounding and looking pedal. Vongon offers great customer service as I fried mine by plugging in the wrong power supply (high) and he fixed it up for free.
-Strymon Big Sky - 9/10 I like picked it up because it was black and I always wanted to try one. Sounds pretty good although I wish the secondary footswitch did something other than presets.
-Dr. Scientist Dusk - 7/10 I like anything Ryan puts out but I don't really have a great use for this and basically bought because it was a new Dr. Sci pedal. :whateva: Still have though (its for sale in BTS)
-EQD Boris Fuzz - 8/10 It's cool I just didn't really need another fuzz. IDK, I was a sucker for those gimmicky band pedals. (also for sale in BTS)

Other stuff:
Roland sp404 MkII - 10/10 I love this thing! Easily one of my all time favorite pieces of gear. Super easy to use and sounds great with whatever I'm trying to do.
Developing Nations Guitar -- Still waiting
Ableton/Pro Tools -10/10 Pretty new to the DAW world but I got both of these and really like both for what they offer. I put these because I sold some pedals to buy them with my EDU discount so it's in that realm to me.
Furman Power Supply - 10/10 We need clean power to power our stuff right? Shit works like it should so 10/10 boring gear purchase in my book.

Took a big step back as far as gear over the last few years but picked up buying records where I left off in my 20's so that's cool.
cantremember

Lagom Gigantic Lurker of BILF

Postby goroth » Tue Jun 21, 2022 5:46 pm

Firstly. Well done for remembering this shit.
I bought so much gear I don’t know what’s what.

Secondly: literally every demo for the Model Fet sounds like ass. But EAE posted an A/B with an actual Sunn and it also sounded like shit. So this year has killed my gas for that pedal. Backwards, you have good ears. Intrigued to hear how you use it.
ALLisNOISE wrote:you can dial in some wonderfully smeared 12bit cascades of cicadas leveling a hail of rockets against an army of rusty box fans!

Latest album out on all streaming services and bandcamp and what not.
Spotify /// Apple Music
My band /// Instagram ///Bandcamp ///
goroth

HERO
HERO

Postby cantremember » Tue Jun 21, 2022 6:40 pm

vidret wrote:For simplicity the rules of the game are that Rona started Jan. 1st 2020.

I guess I really can't remember then because I thought the 19 meant it started in 2019. It all blends together anyway.
cantremember

Postby friendship » Tue Jun 21, 2022 9:27 pm

CONSPICUOUS CONSUMPTION ROUNDUP 2020-2022

Instrument
Gretsch G6128T Duo Jet "Player's Edition" - 100/10 - Absolute perfect work of art, a dream guitar finally attained. I became monomaniacal and asked every seller of every used Duo Jet I could find for neck measurements, miraculously found a thicc boi at a good price, and jumped on it like it came with the fuckin vaccine.
Roland JV-880 - TBD/10 -- I bid on this when I was stoned 2 da bone, imagine my surprise when I won. I haven't had the time or wherewithal to dive into it, but it has some interesting tools for a ROMpler. Some of the presets are dope but for the most part I want to throw the fake-horns and and fake-guitar presets into the canal and really stretch the programming capacity for this thing, when I have time. Most of the presets try to replicate "real" instruments but I want to salt the ashen fields of the uncanny valley and make some unnatural sounds.

Amp
Boss Mini Katana Amp 9/10 - This sounds boring but actually it fucking rips. I haven't played any other amp in a year, and that's not because I spent most of it on my couch. It sounds warm and full, all three voices are both useful and highly chill, and it has a low-passed delay which I find exponentially more useful on a practice amp than a reverb tbqh imho.

Effects
ART DR1 Digital Reverb System ¿/10- I took an hour long train to pick this up from some kind of church or charity and then I had the most delicious beef dumplings of my entire life. They were so juicy and plump, and the crisp chili sauce was perfectly balanced sour and spicy. I think there was some five spice in the meat. What the fuck is reverb?
Boss RV-500 8/10 - whereas the ART was born in 1986, the Boss was born in 2017.
MXR M267 Octavio ∞/10 - I bought this to replace the Dunlop wedge Octavio which was selling for a lotta lettuce at the time. Then I didn't sell the wedge lol. I wish there were a website for people who like fuzz so much...
Zoom Tri Metal TM-01 idk/10 - K2k sold me this. I like to scandalize the EQ, but I don't think I've taken the gain knob out past 9 in the morning.

Utility
Boss FS-5U - I got this for the ART because you can set it as a wet kill switch or an infinite reverb switch.
Focusrite Clarett 4Pre - I needed an interface and I wanted lots of inputs.
Gator Monitor Stands - now my monitors look my ears in the eyes
MIDI Solutions Quadra Thru Box - I forget why I bought this
Radial ProDI - To split a bass guitar so I can get DI with an amped sound in a simultaneous way.
Truetone CS12 One Spot Power Supply - I have run with a ragtag gang of 9 volts batteries and 1spots my whole life. Now? I isolate.

Have I made any music with this? Absolutely not. But I've just exited a very dark tunnel and I'm ready to try again. :hobbes:
sound journal

actualidiot wrote:12-bit's almost analog, right?
friendship

IAMILFFAMOUS
IAMILFFAMOUS

Postby Dowi » Wed Jun 22, 2022 11:42 am

vidret you are a lovely human being because you always come up with these threads that are super enjoyable to read and discuss.i'll just leave some comments for now and come up with my list in the next few days.

vidret wrote:Earthbound audio throat locust (hm2): 9/10 - That edge, man. And with the flexible mids it kicked any muffs of my board. Can never quite go 'soft', or round rather, no matter the EQ but that's why the surveyor is here. That pairing, man.
The extra clipping is an insanely good addendum.

vidret wrote:That edge, man.

YES :love:

vidret wrote:it kicked any muffs of my board

NO :no:

I remember your comment about this in an older thread, but i have found that the way the EQ is shaped can't ever subtituite the muff character for me. The freq points of the high and low freq are very specific and always retain that classic HM2 character, even if just moving so slightly from the middle point.
Still, awesome pedal.

vidret wrote:Stoneworks stone picks: 9/10 - I used to go through jazz 3 picks and then acrylic 3-sided picks like ammunition. Now it's the same perfect edge every time. Took some time getting used to but I love it.

you mean, actual stone picks? didn't knew about their exsistence at all.
If they fall, they roll? :erm: :erm: :erm: :erm: :erm: :facepalm:

backwardsvoyager wrote:just starting another long term gear fast so a pandemic retrospective seems appropriate. didn't realise I'd bought so much shit :lol:

backwardsvoyager wrote:Dr Sci Atmosphere: 5/10 - could barely get a sound I liked out of it (sorrysorrysorry)
*Red Panda Context 2: 9/10 - fav pedal reverb now. seamless trails when using momentarily or switching presets makes it really expressive. would be perfect if the spring algo wasn't awful.

Curious, I love the Atmosphere and have found the Context super good for standard sounds but less prone to "extreme" stuff. Agreed that the seamless trails were awesome, but it never made raise may eyebrows.

backwardsvoyager wrote:*EAE Halberd mkII: 9/10 - like a console overdrive that cuts harder than most distortion pedals. super articulate.

it's one of the only pedals that i reeeally want to try. Currently on the top of my list. Your comment just ignites the GAS even more.

backwardsvoyager wrote:EHX 1440: 8/10 - pretty much flawless, but modern EHX peds are just so damn UGLY

100000% agreed.

backwardsvoyager wrote:Red Panda Tensor: 9/10 - near perfect piece of gear, just not that suited to quick glitches since you have to use 2 footswitches to capture/stop

even in momentary mode? i found it super efficient for quick glitches that way.

friendship wrote:Gretsch G6128T Duo Jet "Player's Edition" - 100/10 - Absolute perfect work of art, a dream guitar finally attained. I became monomaniacal and asked every seller of every used Duo Jet I could find for neck measurements, miraculously found a thicc boi at a good price, and jumped on it like it came with the fuckin vaccine.

This has been probably the gear purchase on ILF that made me drool the most.. :drool: :drool: :drool: :drool:
BIRCH BARK | Solo stuff | Bandcamp - Youtube
HIBAGON | Polyrhythmic Heavy Duo | Bandcamp - Spotyshit
Dowi

IAMILF
IAMILF

Postby weebles » Wed Jun 22, 2022 12:46 pm

I haven’t bought anything since April ‘21 when I moved but I still managed to do quite a bit of buying.

Bought:
Boss JS10 eBand - ?/10 My wife got this for me for father's day. It's kind of cool. Speakers are a little compressed and muffled. Still trying to figure out what I can do with it.

Strymon Iridium - 7/10 until I recently bought some IRs I enjoy and used those with the model feT as the preamp. Now it's 9/10

DBA Echo Dream - 10/10 amazing. I'm currently only playing through the IR as my amps are back in Texas and I'm overseas for a little bit. It loses a bit of its magic, but it's still great.

Boss DD-5 - Still my favorite delay

Supermoon Chrome - 6/10. It was fine, but nothing special IMO.

Caroline Somersault - 7/10. I like it and it *is* versatile, but I think I could get most of the same sounds from something else. The momentary switch is nice when I'm doing the lo-fi thing with it, though.

Red Panda Tensor and Remote 4 - 8/10. Even with the update the loops are still a little too short for me. I will probably sell this at some point, but just haven't yet.

Digitech Digiverb - 9/10. Gated and Reverse. Front of signal chain.

Verbzilla - 5/10. It's fine. It weighs 30 pounds.

EHX 720 Looper - 7/10. Great looper. Too big.

EAE Model feT - 8/10. The EQ is really nice. I like the sound and it pairs great with my fuck od, but only when it’s after? It really shines when I started using it as my preamp and set my Iridium just the IRs. I'm using the Zach Weeks IRs EAE modeled in that blind showcase a few weeks ago on Instagram and some from York Audio.
weebles

experienced
experienced

Postby Paul_C » Wed Jun 22, 2022 3:45 pm

I started making a list, but gave up once I reached 20 pedals and realised that I would also need to look up all the ones I bought and subsequently sold :eek:

Lets face it, I've bought LOADS. (three Beebos and two Zoias are only the tip of the iceberg).

Since the money came through from my Dad's estate I've also bought four electric guitars, one baritone (Bass VI), one six string bass and a nylon acoustic.

Add to that I've bought four amps, one of which I swapped for a second Katana 50w combo, and it's the two Katanas I'm using right now.
The Blackstar ID:Core 20 and Katana Mini are both cool sounding amps for their size but I had an issue with hiss which has meant I've put them to one side for now.

I also bought an Aerophone which I haven't got round to using yet.

In my defence ;) I don't spend much on anything else other than my daughters, and I might as well spend it on something :thumb:
Paul_C

FAMOUS
FAMOUS

Postby friendship » Wed Jun 22, 2022 4:24 pm

Dowi wrote:
friendship wrote:Gretsch G6128T Duo Jet "Player's Edition" - 100/10 - Absolute perfect work of art, a dream guitar finally attained. I became monomaniacal and asked every seller of every used Duo Jet I could find for neck measurements, miraculously found a thicc boi at a good price, and jumped on it like it came with the fuckin vaccine.

This has been probably the gear purchase on ILF that made me drool the most.. :drool: :drool: :drool: :drool:

I'm only a little embarrassed to admit that sometimes I open the case just to gaze at it approvingly.

vidret wrote:Ibanez PH10 Phaser (and other phaser): 9/10 - the sweep is wonky as fuck but the sound is incredible and it's simple as
hell.

I have this phaeseur too! Love that weird sweep.

I have heard very good things about this amp, UglyCasanova has one as well and I'm tempted to check it out despite not needing another amp right now. How does it take high gain pedals?

Pretty good, though i've only tested the aforementioned Zoom Tri-Metal with it at bedroom volumes. The clean channel can get VERY clean so I imagine you'd have a lot of headroom to work with.
sound journal

actualidiot wrote:12-bit's almost analog, right?
friendship

IAMILFFAMOUS
IAMILFFAMOUS

Postby Paul_C » Thu Jun 23, 2022 11:58 am

Well . . .

I'll update this as and when I remember something else, but so far my memory says:

Alexander Superball
Meris Polymoon
Meris Ottobit Jr. (2)*
Meris Hedra (2)*
Meris Enzo
DOD Rubberneck
Pladask Elektrisk Fabrikat
Pladask Elektrisk Bakvendt
CB Mood (2)*
CB Blooper (2)*
CB Habit
Poly Beebo (3)
Empress Zoia (2)
EHX Mod Rex
Boss Slicer
Boss MD500
Paradox Architect
Hexe Revolver II
Catalinbread Antichthon
Malekko Downer
Malekko Polyamorator
Dr Scientist Dusk
Dr Scientist BitQuest
MA 856 For Zellersasn
MA Count To 5
MASF Possessed
MWFX Judder
KMA Wurhm
EQD Rainbow Machine
Intensive Care Fideleater
WMD Geiger Counter
Cooper FX Moment Machine
Boss Tera Echo

Multiples marked * are pedals where I've bought more than one, but only owned one at any time.
Pedals underlined I no longer own.
Last edited by Paul_C on Thu Jun 23, 2022 4:57 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Paul_C

FAMOUS
FAMOUS

Postby qersty » Thu Jun 23, 2022 1:00 pm

i got a gl100 which was sick as hll but for some reason i gave it away for some jackass reason
imagine finding out your son is your daughter & she's into noise music
qersty

IAMILF
IAMILF

Postby the_bright_undead » Thu Jun 23, 2022 6:39 pm

Best drive: EAE Surveyor
Worst drive: EQD Plumes (I mean it wasn't awful, just not worth hanging onto for very long. Mode 1 was pretty dope).

Best fuzz: Basic Audio, fill in your pedal of choice. Currently using a Ge Fuzz Right. Also Stomping Stones Virus.
Worst fuzz: there is no worst fuzz.

Best echo: RE 202
Worst echo: DBA Echo Dream. I know it gets lots of love around here and I can see why, but for some reason it I couldn't connect with it personally. Maybe my ideals were too high? I think I had it for less than 72 hours, it was in and then gone.

Biggest surprise / all around best purchase: Dirge x Malaise Golden Guillotine. I picked this up here on ILF and it has become a favorite, irreplaceable distortion. It is a little too dark, and very hazy, and not in any way transparent, and that's what makes it absolutely fantastic. Low gain and high gain are both just ridiculous. It works great as a low-gain to enhance other dirt, or as the main dirt pedal on my board. It has its limits because it's so dark but I think limitations are sometimes a good thing.

Runner up for best purchase: Fralin hum canceling p90 with alnico rods, bridge position, absolutely killer humbucker replacement in my SG.

The gear I most regret selling: A/DA PBF Flanger.

goroth wrote:Secondly: literally every demo for the Model Fet sounds like ass. But EAE posted an A/B with an actual Sunn and it also sounded like shit. So this year has killed my gas for that pedal. Backwards, you have good ears. Intrigued to hear how you use it.

Agreed on the demos sounding awful. I did get the feT, and it's been a weird back and forth. At this point, I really like using it to boost/enhance fuzz or other dirt, but the high gain tones on this pedal don't really compare for me to other EAE stuff (mainly the Surveryor). I've tried using it as a preamp direct into the return in my effects loop, and also wasn't in love with it in that context. It is a great all-around gain pedal though and can do a lot of things that other drives can't do, I especially like how you can blend the two different gain channels. Sometimes I wonder, what if it was presented differently, as it's own thing instead of being a tribute to the Model T?
good dealings: laowiz, ianmarks, stomping stones, weebles, Errant Tiger, radish, themeanreds, K2000, Never
the_bright_undead

committed
committed

Postby raj007 » Fri Jun 24, 2022 12:08 am

Not in the mood to pipe off and recount pedals…but a couple significant things happened during COVID that taught me a lot about my guitar and amp preferences.

Summer 2020 I hit a big wall and long story short sold everything I had gear wise and took 4 months off. When I came back, I got a Vox AC15 (never had one before) and went to a local shop and was drawn to this beat to shit Epiphone Dot (never had a 335 style before). And while I upgraded from the Dot (to Eastman T-386 with upgraded pickups, wiring…) that was it. I became a 335-style through a standard AC15 guy…and it’s been that way for a year and a half. For those that know me….a year and a half of me keeping pieces of gear? Miracle.

In that span I’ve put up much more expensive amps against the lowly Vox….and the Vox has beat them all. So I decided this boutique amp shit is a lie and a placebo effect.

I was a Fender/single coil player for quite some time and hit a couple spots where I missed that sound and feel or so I thought…the tone of a Strat sounds so thin….Tele…brittle…neutered …and they don’t feel right anymore either. I’ve tried some other guitars over this time, whether in a shop or in a couple cases, purchasing…and nothing feels or sounds like the 335-style.

So. I’ve conceded to it.

And just to speak Eastman’s praise…you get a lot of guitar for the price. I’ve held some 3K Gibson 335’s and I didn’t prefer them over the Eastman line. And I kept my Eastman over a Heritage model (the Heritage was very nice though…superior to Gibson imo).

Finding stability and “home” with instrument and amp is kind of weird. But here we are.
popvulture wrote:Nothing is truer bypass than the void.

D.o.S wrote:Whenever I step on my tuner the shitty guitar playing stops.
raj007

experienced
experienced

Postby qersty » Fri Jun 24, 2022 7:54 am

vidret wrote:
qersty wrote:i got a gl100 which was sick as hll but for some reason i gave it away for some jackass reason

imagine finding out your son is your daughter & she's into noise music
qersty

IAMILF
IAMILF

Next

Return to General Gear