Midi Foot Controller?

Moderator: Ghost Hip

Midi Foot Controller?

Postby Jero » Sat Jun 18, 2022 11:11 pm

I dug out my old Zoom RT-123 drum machine/bass synth, and realized it has a midi input that I never fucked with.

Thinking it would be really cool to be able to do bass lines/drones and/or drums with my feet, but don't have the budget to dish out on actual bass pedals...unless someone knows something?? Kind of the point of this thread. Any body go down this rabbit hole or have any ideas?

Sort of thinking my best bet is to buy an arduino nano, and just build a custom controller with arcade buttons or maybe normal footswitches.

:snax:
I make noise toys under Stomping Stones

oldangelmidnight wrote:This is the classic ILF I love. Emotional highs and lows. Scooped mids in my heart all day long.
Jero

IAMILFFAMOUS
IAMILFFAMOUS

Re: Midi Foot Controller?

Postby qersty » Sun Jun 19, 2022 5:38 am

Soft step out of your budget? I bet there is some custom fcb1010 firmware out there that pulls it. you'd be two buttomns short tho
imagine finding out your son is your daughter & she's into noise music
qersty

IAMILF
IAMILF

Postby Gone Fission » Sun Jun 19, 2022 7:43 am

I would totally look at one of those Keith McMillen controllers with one of his MIDI din adapters. But beware—I’ve seen reports that they fail when used on carpeting.
D.o.S. wrote:Broadly speaking, if we at ILF are dropping 300 bucks on a pedal it probably sounds like an SNES holocaust.
friendship wrote:death to false bleep-blop
UglyCasanova wrote:brb gonna slap my dick on my stomp boxes
Gone Fission

IAMILFFAMOUS
IAMILFFAMOUS

Postby Jero » Mon Jun 20, 2022 1:50 pm

There really isn't a budget for this. Cheap as possible. Those McMillen Soft Step ones seem logical/nice, I'll try and keep an eye out for a used one.

:idea: Bet I could find a random 80's/90's monstrosity for next to nothing.
I make noise toys under Stomping Stones

oldangelmidnight wrote:This is the classic ILF I love. Emotional highs and lows. Scooped mids in my heart all day long.
Jero

IAMILFFAMOUS
IAMILFFAMOUS

Postby Gone Fission » Mon Jun 20, 2022 9:11 pm

Arduino or Pi and a bunch of stompable arcade buttons, then?
D.o.S. wrote:Broadly speaking, if we at ILF are dropping 300 bucks on a pedal it probably sounds like an SNES holocaust.
friendship wrote:death to false bleep-blop
UglyCasanova wrote:brb gonna slap my dick on my stomp boxes
Gone Fission

IAMILFFAMOUS
IAMILFFAMOUS

Postby manymanyhaha » Tue Jun 21, 2022 9:22 am

Depends on what you are trying to control. If it's just CC or PC commands, I can vouch for these: https://www.actition.net/

I have a few of them that I'm about to replace with some of his kits and a custom enclosure I'm making. I know of no one else out there who makes footswitch stompable midi controllers for this cheap. Have had no issues with them since I acquired the first one six years ago.

Had a Soft Step for a bit and it worked fine too. But multiple Actitions fit my setup better and was more affordable than multiple Soft Steps.
manymanyhaha

FAMOUS
FAMOUS

Postby gila_crisis » Wed Jun 22, 2022 5:00 am

I can reccomand these 2 devices:
DMC Midi Baby 3
Morning Star MC3/6/8

I have the MB3 and MC3 and both are stellar solid units, Mibi Baby more simple, no banks.
But if you have the budget it's worthy having a look at the Morning Star offerings.
gila_crisis

experienced
experienced

Return to General Gear