Two amps setup with ABY pedal

Moderator: Ghost Hip

Two amps setup with ABY pedal

Postby Lebowsky » Sun Jan 30, 2022 10:58 am

I think there are a few of you with a two amps setup right? I'm currently playing bass only with a drummer. Just received a Baklengs and that thing does some amazing droning over which to play more straightforward drum+bass pieces.

So basically, I would like to have my Backlengs (and maybe some other weird pedals) output to another amp (or the PA, whatever) so that it doesn't drown my main amp, and can be controlled separately.

I'm thinking going bass -> bunch of effects -> A/B -> A to main amp / B to Baklengs then to another amp.

Is this the right way of approaching this? :idk: What should I be aware about? I'm thinking of going with something like this: https://www.brightonion.co.uk/active-sp ... nd-output/

Any opinions would be much much appreciated! :hug:
Gibson Ripper + GK 1001RB-II / 210RBH / 115RBH + GK 400RB / Bag End S15-D / S15X-D
Lebowsky

committed
committed

Re: Two amps setup with ABY pedal

Postby JTurbide » Sun Jan 30, 2022 11:53 am

Yeah it is that simple. I use a radial bigshot aby. I'd go with something that has a both and select button like the radial if I were you. The brightonion one you just posted does not let you switch one off. The bigshot also has a tuner out (means the extra cables to get in and out of the tuner aren't in you signal chain, so less tone suck) and can be used without being powered (you just won't have the indicator lights but you can easily figure out which amp is one and which is not, or if both are on).
JTurbide

experienced
experienced

Postby Lebowsky » Sun Jan 30, 2022 12:08 pm

thanks! I don't tuner out, I have it rackmounted on amp. Those radial and lehle I saw are all expensive (and big) ; I just wasn't sure if the brightonion was "enough" to make sure everything is hum/noise-free or if I needed something bigger...

JTurbide wrote:The brightonion one you just posted does not let you switch one off.

thats cause I posted the wrong link :lol: here's the correct one I wanted to post: https://www.brightonion.co.uk/active-ab ... nd-output/
Gibson Ripper + GK 1001RB-II / 210RBH / 115RBH + GK 400RB / Bag End S15-D / S15X-D
Lebowsky

committed
committed

Postby qersty » Sun Jan 30, 2022 12:23 pm

JT said it: Radial is probably the best bet. You wanna get something with a good transformer in it so you dont get any loop-di-loos in your signal. The bigshot is not big nor pricy i think
imagine finding out your son is your daughter & she's into noise music
qersty

IAMILF
IAMILF

Postby Zork » Tue Feb 01, 2022 12:06 pm

You want to avoid a ground loop and phase cancellation so you want to get a aby that can do both ground lift and phase reverse. I've got a Palmer PGA03 Y-Box and I'm happy with it but it doesn't have a switch, signal splitting only.
Zork

committed
committed

Postby manymanyhaha » Tue Feb 01, 2022 1:26 pm

If you are not wanting to switch, an active splitter like this one should work https://reverb.com/item/83968-saturnwor ... in-the-usa. Have had a few of these in the past, work great.

If you want switches, an active aby of some sort. Been using multiple amps (at first, two, then later up to six) for over a couple decades and have never had grounding or phase problems, which is not to say you won't. Maybe I've just been fortunate. But a decent active aby (can recommend Saturnworks) can be had for not very much money as a test to see if it works for you.

Edit: Sorry, just saw your link to the Bright Onions pedal. Don't know anything about their pedals, first I've heard of them, but if it is well made, should work fine I would think.
manymanyhaha

FAMOUS
FAMOUS

Postby Warpsmasher » Tue Feb 01, 2022 5:04 pm

I'm using my Digitech multi-fx (RP360) as the ultimate ABY+ now that I have a stereo cab rig in here. Helix and GT1000 are obviously way deeper, and probably overkill in many cases, but any multi fx with stereo outs has a universe of choices as a buffered ABY+. One wah or pitch shifter distorted to two different amp tones is absolutely splendid, for instance...
Warpsmasher

FAMOUS
FAMOUS

Postby fldrvr » Tue Feb 01, 2022 6:07 pm

JTurbide wrote:I use a radial bigshot aby. I'd go with something that has a both and select button like the radial if I were you.

I used an ABY pedal for a few years in a project where I was switching between different effect chains. I most recently moved to using the Radial Bigshot (the newer version). I initially used a Whirlwind Selector. It's good but lacks the options of the Radial. I also found that i really preferred the "one button is to select between a/b and the other is for Y". the nice thing about the radial is that it tells you which chain will remain on when you got from both to 1. I did prefer the Selector's soft switches over the clicks of the radial. But overall, the radial is probably the best option.

I don't know anything about the bright onion one.
Good deals: Monkey Boy, julius_deane, oldangelmidnight, K2000 (x2), kbithecrowing, Casavettes, leaves turn, psychedelicrelic, nevada, alexsga, sa1126, Invisible Man, foot, solewheelin', hbombgraphics, bronzetalon, Aquietcabin1978, bass_econo, christafarai; (on TalkBass) jazzyitalian, MicG, bufert57, marineman227, karter2000; (on TGP) leray1, Electroman, bigEbeer; (on DIYstompboxes) LucifersTrip, lethargytartare; (on HC) StratsRule07, lfrz93, Firebrand, caeman, bluesthug
fldrvr

experienced
experienced

Postby Lebowsky » Wed Feb 02, 2022 5:30 pm

thank you all for your replies!

One more question: if you play the same thing on both amps, is there anything to consider about amp placement and cab sizes? Or rather: is it preferable to have the amps not too close to each other or does it not matter at all?
Lebowsky

committed
committed

Postby friendship » Thu Feb 03, 2022 12:28 pm

I would want the amps at the same point of the Y-axis (i.e. backstage to frontstage) so that the sound from each arrives at the same time. You can get strange (but sometimes interesting!) phase cancellation effects if you don't. It's especially important when recording, assuming that's something you want to avoid. Thousands of years ago, before the Great Circuiting, I would put my amps on either side of my drummer; we were also a duo, and it helped to get a wide sound. But you don't have to do this either--I feel like more often I see multiamp setups where they're next to each other for a layered sound that seems more like it comes from a single source.
sound journal

actualidiot wrote:12-bit's almost analog, right?
friendship

IAMILFFAMOUS
IAMILFFAMOUS

Postby voerking » Fri Feb 04, 2022 1:49 pm

i do this with a Lehle switcher (i forget the model. Little Dual, maybe?)
i upgraded from a Radial, because the Lehle has the option of being set up with the two footswitches as on/off for A & B, respectively, rather than the more common one switch turns both on (Y) and the other toggles between A/B. it just makes more sense to me that way.
the only thing to really worry about is phase issues, and ground loops. good switchers like Radial & Lehle, etc have buttons to flip the phase/lift the ground to solve any problems.
voerking

experienced
experienced

Postby codetocontra » Tue Feb 08, 2022 11:42 pm

I use the Radial Twin City active ABY. The buffer seemed important when splitting the signal. Works great for me. Not always do I need the ground lift, but sometimes there is a hum and the switch makes it go away. The Phase switch is crucial, as I found some effects invert phase polarity when placed after the ABY. Not a big deal since they are not true bypass, so the phase switch is set and forget. There are some devices like older big box EHX that would invert phase and cause issues. Sometimes it is harder to tell if the phase is right, so I palm mute a few chugs while flipping the switch to find the setting that has more bass.
As far as amp placement, either is fine. At first I was splitting my amps on each side of the drums because that felt right to cover the room. But now I have the amps next to each other so I can tweak amp settings and the devices I place on top of the amps, plus I dont need a cable that is like 15' longer just to get to the far amp. Dual amps is a massive sound where the sum is greater than the individual parts.
Good luck!
codetocontra

IAMILF
IAMILF

Postby Lebowsky » Wed Feb 09, 2022 8:11 am

voerking wrote:i do this with a Lehle switcher (i forget the model. Little Dual, maybe?)
i upgraded from a Radial, because the Lehle has the option of being set up with the two footswitches as on/off for A & B, respectively, rather than the more common one switch turns both on (Y) and the other toggles between A/B. it just makes more sense to me that way.
the only thing to really worry about is phase issues, and ground loops. good switchers like Radial & Lehle, etc have buttons to flip the phase/lift the ground to solve any problems.

which Radial are you using now?

codetocontra wrote:I use the Radial Twin City active ABY. The buffer seemed important when splitting the signal. Works great for me. Not always do I need the ground lift, but sometimes there is a hum and the switch makes it go away. The Phase switch is crucial, as I found some effects invert phase polarity when placed after the ABY. Not a big deal since they are not true bypass, so the phase switch is set and forget. There are some devices like older big box EHX that would invert phase and cause issues. Sometimes it is harder to tell if the phase is right, so I palm mute a few chugs while flipping the switch to find the setting that has more bass.
As far as amp placement, either is fine. At first I was splitting my amps on each side of the drums because that felt right to cover the room. But now I have the amps next to each other so I can tweak amp settings and the devices I place on top of the amps, plus I dont need a cable that is like 15' longer just to get to the far amp. Dual amps is a massive sound where the sum is greater than the individual parts.
Good luck!

Did you use a passive before and had issues?

Looks like the best option is either the Radial Twin City or Bright Onion, both active

That Radial twice the price (at least here) and the new "bones" version looks ugly :grumpy: this calls for a B/S/T hunting :snax:
Lebowsky

committed
committed

Postby voerking » Wed Feb 09, 2022 10:09 am

Lebowsky wrote:which Radial are you using now?

sorry if i was unclear - i previously used a Radial Bigshot, but now have switched to the Lehle Little Dual, which i prefer.
voerking

experienced
experienced

Postby Lebowsky » Wed Feb 09, 2022 10:14 am

voerking wrote:sorry if i was unclear - i previously used a Radial Bigshot, but now have switched to the Lehle Little Dual, which i prefer.

you weren't unclear, I read your post sideways :lol:
Lebowsky

committed
committed

Next

Return to General Gear