New gear announcements for 2022

Moderator: Ghost Hip

Re: New gear announcements for 2022

Postby Dandolin » Mon May 16, 2022 4:09 pm

:lol: :)*

also, since Tommy D's not actually making fuzzhuggers any more (I think?), maybe the world could use another pedlol with a loop for fuzz and pre- post-eq/whatever other massaging circuitry seems right and necessary and that makes fuzz fuzzerier? :idk: :idea: :!!!:

:ilf:
"In a moment of unparalleled genius, Noel Parachute headed off this potential disaster by unplugging the microphone."
Dandolin

IAMILFFAMOUS
IAMILFFAMOUS

Postby backwardsvoyager » Tue May 17, 2022 12:45 pm

backwardsvoyager

IAMILFFAMOUS
IAMILFFAMOUS

Postby Dandolin » Tue May 17, 2022 3:11 pm

somehow i missed the part where this was twice as much delay as all the competitors that cost half as much? :idk: or even 50% more delay than the ones that cost 2/3 as much :snax:

just listening casually i heard a lot of sounds i've heard before from timeline/echosystem/dd-500 et alia...merhumblegrumble.

did not feel the need to jump back to the video and rewind b/c what?!?
"In a moment of unparalleled genius, Noel Parachute headed off this potential disaster by unplugging the microphone."
Dandolin

IAMILFFAMOUS
IAMILFFAMOUS

Postby manymanyhaha » Tue May 17, 2022 4:28 pm

Well, that's kind of disappointing...............
manymanyhaha

FAMOUS
FAMOUS

Postby Gone Fission » Tue May 17, 2022 4:41 pm

If I get the idea, the magic trick is that it’s an open environment to build the delay you want out of the tinker-toys rather than just having a collection of fixed algorithms. So maybe not as blank-page as a Zoia, but deeper than the mode selector on the typical multi-mode delay.

People will need to have an idea of how to build their own excellent sounding delays with these tools to get past the feature set “whoa” to deliver a user experience “whoa.” At least it’s just a stereo delay tool kit. If it was much deeper or was a “build-your-own-reverb” thing, almost all of the market would be helpless to build better-than-stock algorithms. As is, this does not have the makings of a mass-market device. There aren’t a ton of people who would use this effectively, and fewer of those would buy it. (Some will buy it with no idea what to do with it, of course.) I’d be very surprised if they sell a few hundred over a few years. Not because of anything that’s wrong with the device, just that I don’t see the market for it.
D.o.S. wrote:Broadly speaking, if we at ILF are dropping 300 bucks on a pedal it probably sounds like an SNES holocaust.
friendship wrote:death to false bleep-blop
UglyCasanova wrote:brb gonna slap my dick on my stomp boxes
Gone Fission

IAMILFFAMOUS
IAMILFFAMOUS

Postby Dandolin » Tue May 17, 2022 6:31 pm

yeah, i felt a bit snarky with my first post; went back and listened and paid attention. conceptually, it kinda reminds me of the Strymon Night Sky. I get the Zoia comparo, and I'd add Beebo to that. But again, whatever Beebo costs now, it ain't 6 hundo, and when it first came out it was less than 4. I actually do like the concept, and I see how it differs from the Echosystems and Timelines etc., but I guess I fall into that category of "would use it, won't buy it." what's more, even if i didn't already have a Digit/Beebo, I wouldn't choose it over that or Zoia, or waiting for something more affordable to come along....

For a second there, I thought it was gonna turn out to be a Meris Plethora, or at least H9 Max - in terms of delivering a huge chunk of the Meris experience in one box, not in terms of workflow - but it ain't really that. The bits and bobs they mention from their other pedals are pretty limited to the point where the advertising verbiage playing up that it has elements of Enzo, for instance, seems hyperbolic when it's really just the filter from Enzo. Now, in the abstract, having that filter to use to "build" a delay is pretty nice, i just...actually, hyperbolic is a good word for the whole experience from the start of the tease to the end of the demo. and that might make a nice name for a future Meris product :lol:

sorry, i don't want to keep bashing - they're ok, i like my Enzo, it ain't perfect, but i'm keeping it
this one just isn't for me, which seems to be the case with every new delay announced in the past coupla years, haha
Last edited by Dandolin on Tue May 17, 2022 11:45 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Dandolin

IAMILFFAMOUS
IAMILFFAMOUS

Postby backwardsvoyager » Tue May 17, 2022 10:33 pm

I'm happy they ditched the silly unlabeled secondary function per knob thing, at least. It does look a bit more user friendly than their previous offerings.

But after seeing the price.... yeah.... :lol:
backwardsvoyager

IAMILFFAMOUS
IAMILFFAMOUS

Postby Blood_mountain » Wed May 18, 2022 12:55 am

backwardsvoyager wrote:I'm happy they ditched the silly unlabeled secondary function per knob thing, at least. It does look a bit more user friendly than their previous offerings.

For some reason, Meris pedals have just never held my attention.
Blood_mountain

FAMOUS
FAMOUS

Postby The Eristic » Wed May 18, 2022 2:43 am

backwardsvoyager wrote:I'm happy they ditched the silly unlabeled secondary function per knob thing, at least. It does look a bit more user friendly than their previous offerings.

Indeed, now they need to convert all their pedals to this format but they also need to convert them to like $369.
Check out my live guitar streams @ http://www.twitch.tv/the_eristic!
The Eristic

experienced
experienced

Postby cantremember » Wed May 18, 2022 11:06 am

The Eristic wrote:Indeed, now they need to convert all their pedals to this format but they also need to convert them to like $369.

I agree this 100%, I'm passed wanting to spend a ton of money on a delay pedal especially this much.
cantremember

Lagom Gigantic Lurker of BILF
Lagom Gigantic Lurker of BILF

Postby manymanyhaha » Wed May 18, 2022 11:39 am

I actually really like the old format: They are dual mono pedals that fit on my board. At this new size (and price), forget about it. What I didn't like about the old format was no Save As for presets and no preset recall without extra stuff. So many great sounds I've found in each pedal that I can't find again, especially the Enzo and Polymoon.

And having to label the alt features. And no dual mono for the stutter in the Ottobit. If it had that, that pedal would still be on my board. But then again, if pedal companies oriented towards my tastes and interests, they'd probably all go under :lol:
manymanyhaha

FAMOUS
FAMOUS

Postby cosmicevan » Thu May 19, 2022 1:28 pm

cantremember wrote:
The Eristic wrote:Indeed, now they need to convert all their pedals to this format but they also need to convert them to like $369.

I agree this 100%, I'm passed wanting to spend a ton of money on a delay pedal especially this much.

I feel like this wave of expensive delays has really helped me learn to manage GAS. just pow pow pow --- $300 $400 and now $600. It's been nice watching people explore the space echo remakes, dl4, habit, and it will be nice to see the feedback roll in on these and as the used market starts to see them, maybe I'll make a move. The one that catches my eye the most is still Habit, but I've got so much complex gear to dig in on who needs another piece of kit to learn.
•○• cosmically yours •○•
cosmicevan

FAMOUS
FAMOUS

Postby MrNovember » Thu May 19, 2022 1:46 pm

cosmicevan wrote:
cantremember wrote:

I feel like this wave of expensive delays has really helped me learn to manage GAS. just pow pow pow --- $300 $400 and now $600. It's been nice watching people explore the space echo remakes, dl4, habit, and it will be nice to see the feedback roll in on these and as the used market starts to see them, maybe I'll make a move. The one that catches my eye the most is still Habit, but I've got so much complex gear to dig in on who needs another piece of kit to learn.

I’m feeling the same. I’m happy I’ve slept on everything and didn’t buy into any hype. I do a till have some gas for the DL4 MKII and I might still sell my Matriarch because it’s really just collecting dust, but I don’t think I really need the OP-1 Field or anything to replace the Matriarch. I need to just use the gear I’ve got.
MrNovember

Modulae of BILF
Modulae of BILF

Postby cosmicevan » Thu May 19, 2022 8:39 pm

MrNovember wrote:
cosmicevan wrote:
cantremember wrote:

I’m feeling the same. I’m happy I’ve slept on everything and didn’t buy into any hype. I do a till have some gas for the DL4 MKII and I might still sell my Matriarch because it’s really just collecting dust, but I don’t think I really need the OP-1 Field or anything to replace the Matriarch. I need to just use the gear I’ve got.

As a collector of things...there's a certain something to the hunt/the acquisition...the lusting after and wanting and then completing the act and obtaining...but then the magic is onto the next hunt. It's a curse being financially able.

I remember some 20 years ago, meeting a somewhat localish guy on a loopers delight mailing list. At the time, I was really exploring my gear and constantly looking for opportunities to play whether in front of people or with people. In any event, I remember going to the guys place with my too much gear and rolling in and he was a drummer primary, but had this cage or gear that went from the floor to the ceiling and circled him like a neal peart drum kit, but it was racks of gear. In general he seemed to know how to use it all...a little bit/just enough...but I taught him so much about the gear we had in common that day and I was shocked he hadn't explored every corner of these devices. Back then, I hunted gear, but stuff was more out of reach financially so by the time I was able to actually buy the gear, I knew it inside out from reading manuals and the internet. Fast forward 20 years later and I'm that guy...well...not as bad as he was, but I definitely have allowed my GAS to get the better of me.

I still really want tons of stuff more...like that matriarch you speak of, but I know I have plenty of other gear still to explore and play with. I will cave...eventually I'll get that SOMA Lyra I've been lusting after or take the plunge into a DFAM or similar such unit. But for now, I'm relishing in what I learned with those delay releases. I would've kicked myself for buying any of them with whatever came next, but each announce had me twitchy wanting to jump on the band wagon.
•○• cosmically yours •○•
cosmicevan

FAMOUS
FAMOUS

Postby Dandolin » Thu May 19, 2022 9:53 pm

...sounds familiar :hug:

hey, gear guy - what's a decent, sub $300 recording interface that will work with USB. Bonus if you can bypass it's undoubtedly sub-par mic preamp(s).... :snax: (worth a try :idk: )
Dandolin

IAMILFFAMOUS
IAMILFFAMOUS

PreviousNext

Return to General Gear