Irrational EHX Lust Thread

Moderator: Ghost Hip

Re: Irrational EHX Lust Thread

Postby brak purp » Thu Nov 12, 2020 12:33 pm

The Stereo Memory Man with Hazarai has so many negatives and so many positives! Such Duality!
You really have to work it! What a payoff!
Being able to immediately play back your last phrase in reverse with a footpress allows you to be so tasteful with the reverse delay.
The varispeed on the looper is still not common for some reason and why I love the Hazarai.
The multi -tap was an education for me on how the saausage of those futuristic reverbs is made. Maybe early reflections is the opposite of futuristic but it's just a trick, right?
brak purp

involved
involved

Postby coldbrightsunlight » Thu Nov 12, 2020 1:15 pm

yep totally agree. All those amazing features but also... kind of annoying to use? If I had one now I'd never sell it but IDK if I want to go out of my way to buy another :lol:
füzz lover. Friend. Quilter evangelist.

I make music sometimes:

https://nitrx.bandcamp.com/

https://mediocrisy.bandcamp.com/

https://fleshcouch.bandcamp.com
coldbrightsunlight

Supporter
Supporter

Postby fldrvr » Thu Nov 12, 2020 5:43 pm

Always have some EHX gas in the back of my mind. Currently have a Superego on my board with a Zoom ms70cdr in the loop. It gets super loud.

Have owned a Ring Thing, which is a pretty rad pedal. Sold it to fund other stuff.

Also have a Mel9, Synth9, and Bass Mono Synth. Will likely flip the 2 synth pedals, but they're cool for what they are. Mel 9 is kinda harsh in the high end but I'm keeping it for now solely for flute/clarinet sounds.

Am gassing for the Attack Decay. Always wanted a Ravish, Cathedral, Micro Synth, Germanium 4, Tube Zipper, Black Finger, English Muff'n. I'm sure there are others I'm forgetting. i've always dug their stuff.
Good deals: Monkey Boy, julius_deane, oldangelmidnight, K2000 (x2), kbithecrowing, Casavettes, leaves turn, psychedelicrelic, nevada, alexsga, sa1126, Invisible Man, foot, solewheelin', hbombgraphics, bronzetalon, Aquietcabin1978, bass_econo, christafarai; (on TalkBass) jazzyitalian, MicG, bufert57, marineman227, karter2000; (on TGP) leray1, Electroman, bigEbeer; (on DIYstompboxes) LucifersTrip, lethargytartare; (on HC) StratsRule07, lfrz93, Firebrand, caeman, bluesthug
fldrvr

experienced
experienced

Postby UglyCasanova » Thu Nov 12, 2020 5:45 pm

I need more Mainframe demos in my life. There's two on yt, but it came out a while ago now. The pitch-tracking mode seems so good. Someone buy one so I can hear more of it. :lol:
UglyCasanova

IAMILFFAMOUS
IAMILFFAMOUS

Postby coldbrightsunlight » Thu Nov 12, 2020 6:10 pm

pitch tracking mode does seem really cool. Don't see myself using it on guitar but... could be a cool synth thing? IDK
füzz lover. Friend. Quilter evangelist.

I make music sometimes:

https://nitrx.bandcamp.com/

https://mediocrisy.bandcamp.com/

https://fleshcouch.bandcamp.com
coldbrightsunlight

Supporter
Supporter

Postby Dowi » Fri Nov 13, 2020 10:01 am

TBH the official EHX Mainframe demo SUCKS. Can't believe they put out a pedal like this and then shoot a demo just playing some pentatonics on an awful 80-ies glamrock drums backing track. I appreciate that they don't do the "20 different demoers dropping a video on the same day/hour/minute" thing, but come on, at least give the pedal some dignity..
The other video is a bit more useful, except for the fact that the 75% of it is just focused on expression pedal use. :idk:

Should be pretty fun to use with a synth, probably even better with a drum machine.

That being said, because of youtube suggestions i ended up watching a couple of Meris Ottobit videos too and now i probably want one. :facepalm:
BIRCH BARK | Solo stuff | Bandcamp - Youtube
HIBAGON | Polyrhythmic Heavy Duo | Bandcamp - Spotyshit
Dowi

IAMILF
IAMILF

Postby manymanyhaha » Fri Nov 13, 2020 10:16 am

fldrvr wrote:Always have some EHX gas in the back of my mind. Currently have a Superego on my board with a Zoom ms70cdr in the loop. It gets super loud.

Have owned a Ring Thing, which is a pretty rad pedal. Sold it to fund other stuff.

Also have a Mel9, Synth9, and Bass Mono Synth. Will likely flip the 2 synth pedals, but they're cool for what they are. Mel 9 is kinda harsh in the high end but I'm keeping it for now solely for flute/clarinet sounds.

Am gassing for the Attack Decay. Always wanted a Ravish, Cathedral, Micro Synth, Germanium 4, Tube Zipper, Black Finger, English Muff'n. I'm sure there are others I'm forgetting. i've always dug their stuff.

I've always wanted to try a Ravish too! My intuition says that I would hate it but every time I see one my brain says, "Dude, buy that!"

I've never had a high end problem with the Mel9 and I only ever use the flute. Love it.

Dowi wrote:
That being said, because of youtube suggestions i ended up watching a couple of Meris Ottobit videos too and now i probably want one. :facepalm:

For the first year I had the Ottobit, I had it in a certain position and used it a certain way and it was awesome. Then I took apart my board, put it back together and it changed and I've yet to get it back to where it was. I've even taken it off my board, which I never thought I would do in that first year. I think it is quite sensitive to how much signal it gets.
manymanyhaha

FAMOUS
FAMOUS

Postby Scruffie » Fri Nov 13, 2020 10:21 am

I stripped back my collection of EHX as it wasn't getting much use any more, got a Micro Pog (actually think this might have been my first pedal in like, 2004?), Mel9, Superego, two vintage small stones and a vintage polyphase.

Might be adding a vintage 16 second to the collection, but I'm wondering if I really play enough any more to warrant it or if it's just uber GAS for the holy grail and I'll end up like one of those dudes with robo-gibsons mounted on their wall.

fldrvr wrote:Also have a Mel9, Synth9, and Bass Mono Synth. Will likely flip the 2 synth pedals, but they're cool for what they are. Mel 9 is kinda harsh in the high end but I'm keeping it

I had a B9 & the aforementioned Mel 9 and actually sold the B9 because it was too dull in the high end.

I do kinda feel the Superego was the last digital EHX pedal released to have a raspy organicness to it and as cool as all the general sounds and features of the more modern ones are, they just sound... flat and after a while, that wins out over any lust I felt.

I have wondered if making a 'vintage digital wrapper' effects loop pedal to stick them in might be the way forward, like an analogizer, but good.
Scruffie

Admin
Admin

Postby mcatano » Fri Nov 13, 2020 12:12 pm

To the point about the EHX tracking being really good, I remember even the dudes from Meris saying that EHX has bar none the best single note tracking of anyone in the game - they were confident that the Enzo did poly note better, but they acknowledged that EHX was more accurate on single note stuff.
mcatano

committed
committed

Postby Schlatte » Sat Nov 14, 2020 4:29 am

+1 for Mainframe GAS... always wanted to try something Bitcrush-y/Sampleratereduction-y on the trombone board, never got around to it... on Guit/Bass i actually don't like the Bitcrush sound that much, there I would prefer Ringmod.
Also had Superego, Ravish Sitar and Mel9 on some watchlists for sometime, but never pulled the trigger... IDK... it's just something about that stuff where you then go "nah".
In general, I think their "new" stuff is much more interesting than the 248 different muff variants and reissues, as well as their phasers, compressors, etc... there are just enough better alternatives out there to render the EHX stuff uninteresting.
That said, I love my green russian small stone and the beat up old black russian muff I have laying around here. So yay for bipolarism! :lol:
Good Deals with: All these fine people!

MOM-D Shark Tank is back! Open Source Designs for musical pleasure! Back in the Tank! Go check it out!
Schlatte

IAMILF
IAMILF

Postby coupleonapkins » Sat Nov 14, 2020 4:49 am

Good morning!
coupleonapkins

IAMILF
IAMILF

Postby ck3 » Sat Nov 14, 2020 8:45 pm

The Maineframe's pitch tracking mode is smooth, consistent, and gravitates toward the lowest tone with polyphony when using guitars. It covers all potential Bitcrushing applications on my checklist, but the preset function is befuddling.

EDIT: I discovered earlier today it isn't possible to store a preset that incorporates the pitch tracking mode (fixed sample rate only).
Last edited by ck3 on Mon Nov 16, 2020 12:02 am, edited 1 time in total.
ck3

FAMOUS
FAMOUS

Postby codetocontra » Sat Nov 14, 2020 10:58 pm

About once a year I get a strong desire to just own a Polychorus again. I loved the delay on it, so crispy and slapbacky. But really the pedal is a novelty, a trophy for an era long gone. The same era that inspired me to play guitar and also brought me into the crazy world of endless desire for moar gear. Then I watch a demo or two and remember I don't enjoy using modulation anymore and I move on.

I still love the look of old big box EHX pedals. They are annoying AF to put on a board and sometimes provide power. They were always a good sound. Nice battle scars in the paint that came from regular use and lugging around several together in a box before pedalboards were something you could purchase.
codetocontra

IAMILF
IAMILF

Postby PanicProne » Sat Nov 21, 2020 5:56 am

codetocontra wrote:I still love the look of old big box EHX pedals. They are annoying AF to put on a board and sometimes provide power. They were always a good sound. Nice battle scars in the paint that came from regular use and lugging around several together in a box before pedalboards were something you could purchase.

+1
On that note, though it's not suuuper old, I just sold my HOG. It's awesome but hasn't aged well and I just wasn't using it anymore :(

Also, as it's mentioned above. I still have my Micro POG which was probaly the 3rd-5th pedal I ever got and what really got me deep into pedals. Feel it's so underrated soundwise and so easy to use. Big enough knobs to twek with your foot too while playing. Everyone once in a while feel like I should get a spare just because.
PanicProne

experienced
experienced

Postby ManFromMars » Wed Nov 25, 2020 6:10 am

I've had quite a bit of EHX gear over the years but never seem to hang on to it. Big box Microsynth still has one of the best fuzz sounds imo.

Current not-so-irrational GAS: Deluxe Sovtek Big Muff

Irrational GAS: Big Muff Hardware Plugin introduced at NAMM but not yet released (idk why, interested in the concept I guess)
ManFromMars

interested
interested

PreviousNext

Return to General Gear