Finally getting around to HEQing again

Moderator: Ghost Hip

Finally getting around to HEQing again

Postby PeterBregman » Tue Sep 01, 2020 10:36 am

Hi there.

Now that it's been nearly Fiona-Apple-time-between-albums-level long since the HEQ-1 was released, I'm finally getting close to doing another release. In my defense, I did a compressor pedal (https://www.collaborationdevices.com/new-products/the-compressor) and have been working on a hugely complex pipe dream of a pedal as well (more to come on that soonish).

Anywho...here's the deal. This isn't going to be a "v2," in the sense that it's not going to be a massive change to the circuit and/or have tons of new features. BUT, it's also not going to just be a release of more HEQ-1's with the same exact circuit. There will only ever be 40 of those, and they're all already out in the world. They're toddlers now. They're learning to walk and run, they're getting into cookie jars.

The new "HEQ v1.2" (probably not the actual name) will be different from the originals in these ways:
-No trim pots inside. If you want to tweak shit, you'll have to track down an original. If you want one that is pre-tweaked to sound exactly like my personal HEQ - the new one is your friend.
-Re-designed circuit board for easier assembly. This doesn't effect the sound, it just makes them less of a pain to assemble.
-Different components. Not a super different, but the pots I used aren't around anymore, and some of the caps/resistors are different brands.
-Reverse and over-voltage protection. The new one has protection built in. The old one LIKES TO LIVE DANGEROUSLY.
-LEDs are dim like all the other weak pedals of the world, because no one had the fortitude to withstand the fury of the LEDs on the original (one day a champion will arise). (but seriously, they're more reasonable)
-There will be more of them. Maybe 200 to start? I don't know. Alan (El Diablo Amps & Guitars) and I are deciding.
-They will probably be around $200. I undercharged for the originals and didn't make squat after the development.
-They will look different. Not quite sure how yet. Different colors? Different knobs? Both? Built into a chocolate cake?

Any questions? Are people jazzed? It this a horrible idea? thanks :)
PeterBregman

committed
committed

Re: Finally getting around to HEQing again

Postby fcknoise » Tue Sep 01, 2020 10:43 am

1) that compressor is the prettiest compressor pedal I've ever seen
2) HEQ YEAH IM JAZZED
Cydonia wrote: Too bad no one here is interested in talking about "gear"

BossMann73 wrote:I didn't insult it......I "curated" a "different aesthetic.".

John wrote:I love how this forum has the GDP of Switzerland in pedals but the collective value of everyone's patch cables is less than the change in my couch cushions. And I don't have a couch.

Soundcloud: https://soundcloud.com/sharkmovieappriciator
Bandcamp: https://fcknoise.bandcamp.com/
fcknoise

IAMILFFAMOUS
IAMILFFAMOUS

Postby goroth » Tue Sep 01, 2020 10:54 am

Sounds rad dude - and that comp looked hot.
ALLisNOISE wrote:you can dial in some wonderfully smeared 12bit cascades of cicadas leveling a hail of rockets against an army of rusty box fans!

Latest album out on all streaming services and bandcamp and what not.
Spotify /// Apple Music
My band /// Instagram ///Bandcamp ///
goroth

HERO
HERO

Postby Chankgeez » Tue Sep 01, 2020 11:10 am

:thumb: :snax:
psychic vampire. wrote:The important take away from this thread: Taoism and Ring Modulators go together?
…...........................…
Sweet dealin's: here
"Now, of course, Strega is not a Minimoog… and I am not Sun Ra" - dude from MAKENOISE
#GreenRinger
Chankgeez

IAMILFFAMOUS
IAMILFFAMOUS

Location: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FGhbeHujNZQ youtube.com/watch?v=V-2l7kkBURc

Postby Gone Fission » Tue Sep 01, 2020 11:56 am

Not giving me any reason to think twice about my v1, so I’m happy about that. And I’m happy more people will get to play in this zone. So that’s pretty damned happy.
D.o.S. wrote:Broadly speaking, if we at ILF are dropping 300 bucks on a pedal it probably sounds like an SNES holocaust.
friendship wrote:death to false bleep-blop
UglyCasanova wrote:brb gonna slap my dick on my stomp boxes
Gone Fission

IAMILFFAMOUS
IAMILFFAMOUS

Postby Ghost Hip » Tue Sep 01, 2020 12:33 pm

I sold my HEQ1 and then bought two again down the line, one for me and one for my secret santa. Just played with it last night for the first time in a few months. It is a brilliant exciting circuit and I'm excited to see the new one!
Youtube Channel?

mr. sound boy king wrote:Organic apples are not normal, they are special, like analog, whereas normal apples, like digital, taste sterile and lack warmth.

friendship wrote:y u h8 swoosh woosh
Ghost Hip

Postby Dandolin » Tue Sep 01, 2020 6:38 pm

still benchmarkin' other fuzz against the mighty HEQ
bring it
"In a moment of unparalleled genius, Noel Parachute headed off this potential disaster by unplugging the microphone."
Dandolin

IAMILFFAMOUS
IAMILFFAMOUS

Postby PeterBregman » Wed Sep 02, 2020 12:02 pm

Gosh, you're all so encouraging. Thank you.

I'm still working out some of the details, but I'l make sure you're all the first ones to know when stuff is ready to launch.
PeterBregman

committed
committed

Postby codetocontra » Wed Sep 02, 2020 11:37 pm

:hello:
Playing your prototype version at ILF MW 17 was awesome. I snagged two as well, one for me and also my secret satan. The final version seemed quite a bit different, less brutal but still rather cool with the destroyed gain stage sound. The EQ was pretty nice and was probably the first pedal that made me bored by comparison with single tone knob controls that almost come standard on most pedals. Oh, and that ducking laser beam blinded me more than once. Very excited about a new one coming. Could I suggest a name? Ahem... HEQ2. I know, I am a genius. Very much looking forward to it and your new projects too.
Last edited by codetocontra on Tue Sep 08, 2020 9:49 pm, edited 1 time in total.
codetocontra

IAMILF
IAMILF

Postby codetocontra » Fri Sep 04, 2020 9:05 am

Last edited by codetocontra on Tue Sep 08, 2020 9:50 pm, edited 1 time in total.
codetocontra

IAMILF
IAMILF

Postby PeterBregman » Fri Sep 04, 2020 11:55 am

codetocontra wrote:I may be misremembering the volume issue previously stated. JonnyAngle mentioned the trim pots and I remember adjuting mine. Maybe I made that up after I killed those brain cells.

You were playing active bass through it, right? I think I remember that being the deal. Like a lot of fuzzes (especially the gate-y/compress-y kinds), large input signals will swamp the transistors and make the output volume lower than quieter input signals would (weird, but true). Honestly, the HEQ and similar fuzzes sound best (to me) with single-coils and/or low-output pickups. For bass, passive is going to sound 1000% better than active. The trim pots inside allowed you to increase the make-up volume, which would have helped a little, but really, I don't think the HEQ circuit would sound good with active bass.

Maybe one day I'll do a fuzz just for active bass. I don't know if there's much of a market there though... ;)
PeterBregman

committed
committed

Postby weebles » Fri Sep 04, 2020 2:05 pm

Ahhhh yiiiiiisssssssssss
weebles

experienced
experienced

Postby codetocontra » Fri Sep 04, 2020 3:23 pm

No active bass here, but hot pickups in a guitar. Still very excited for moar.
codetocontra

IAMILF
IAMILF

Postby codetocontra » Tue Sep 08, 2020 9:53 pm

It occurred to me that I must be thinking of a different pedal with a volume issue that I had at the same time. Apologies for my poor memory on this. Being factual in 2020 is still something I hold in high regard. Previous posts edited.

Back to the hype!
codetocontra

IAMILF
IAMILF

Postby BetterOffShred » Tue Sep 08, 2020 11:43 pm

Top jacks plz.
BetterOffShred

IAMILFFAMOUS
IAMILFFAMOUS

Next

Return to General Gear