Building a mini-board, looking for multi-mod

Moderator: Ghost Hip

Re: Building a mini-board, looking for multi-mod

Postby K2000 » Fri Aug 07, 2020 3:19 pm

I have a ModFactory and it's fine, although the tiny knobs aren't a tweaker's delight. Mooer has at least one more micro multi-effect, but it may be more about Reverb with a few modulation options too. Mooer has a ton of pedals...

Small (and hopefully cheap). In the $50 range...
K2000

Supporter
Supporter

Postby Errant Tiger » Fri Aug 07, 2020 3:57 pm

K2000 wrote:I have a ModFactory and it's fine, although the tiny knobs aren't a tweaker's delight. Mooer has at least one more micro multi-effect, but it may be more about Reverb with a few modulation options too. Mooer has a ton of pedals...

The only thing I've tried was the Shimverb, and I hated it. But I'll have a look around...

The ModFactory is about the size of a Phase 95, right?
Errant Tiger

experienced
experienced

Postby John Matrix » Fri Aug 07, 2020 4:06 pm

Alexander F.13 neo is a flanger but as far as I'm concerned it covers all the mod bases. Does great flange, chorus, and vibe sounds. Can even do phasey sounds but so far I've only really gotten there with the external ramp button hooked up. Also has a delay built in and can store 4 presets (more with midi).
John Matrix

experienced
experienced

Postby Schlatte » Sat Aug 08, 2020 3:59 am

Errant Tiger wrote:
K2000 wrote:I have a ModFactory and it's fine, although the tiny knobs aren't a tweaker's delight. Mooer has at least one more micro multi-effect, but it may be more about Reverb with a few modulation options too. Mooer has a ton of pedals...

The only thing I've tried was the Shimverb, and I hated it. But I'll have a look around...

The ModFactory is about the size of a Phase 95, right?

Yeah, ModFactory is 1590a-sized, so quite tiny. I got it for the same reason as you - limited space. With pancake patch cables it really doesn't take up much space, the only thing I had to do was put a slap of wood under it to get it a bit higher to properly hit the switch with my giant feet without turning on the 3 pedals next to it also...
Good Deals with: All these fine people!

MOM-D Shark Tank is back! Open Source Designs for musical pleasure! Back in the Tank! Go check it out!
Schlatte

IAMILF
IAMILF

Postby penelope tree » Sat Aug 08, 2020 5:17 am

They've released a new series recently and I imagine there will be a modulation pedal soon, which I would expect to be more interesting than the ModFactory.

penelope tree

committed
committed

Postby Schlatte » Sat Aug 08, 2020 5:47 am

penelope tree wrote:

They've released a new series recently and I imagine there will be a modulation pedal soon, which I would expect to be more interesting than the ModFactory.

this is relevant to my interests.

I have the MK1 Mod Factory, I didn't know that there was even the MK2 out there... but it seems interesting with the added series/parallel option...

MOM-D Shark Tank is back! Open Source Designs for musical pleasure! Back in the Tank! Go check it out!
Schlatte

IAMILF
IAMILF

Postby mathias » Sat Aug 08, 2020 10:54 pm

For mini pedal, the Valeton Coral Mod is my go-to.
ILF Equipped :love:

skullservant wrote:You can like whatever you want so long as it makes you happy

Searching for that new sound.
If you can read this, then I'm back? :?:
mathias

IAMILFFAMOUS
IAMILFFAMOUS

Postby Schlatte » Sun Aug 09, 2020 2:20 am

mathias wrote:For mini pedal, the Valeton Coral Mod is my go-to.

Yeah, the Mooer and Valeton pedals are basically 1:1 the same. It's more or less just a question of availability. Here the Mooers are offered far more often than the Valeton pedals, I think it's different on your side of the pond?

Schlatte

IAMILF
IAMILF

Postby K2000 » Sun Aug 09, 2020 1:32 pm

Errant Tiger wrote:

I hated the Shimverb too.

#fistbump
K2000

Supporter
Supporter

Postby Blackened Soul » Sun Aug 09, 2020 1:48 pm

:cry: I've always wanted a miniboard. Every time I try I don't like the sounds and end right back with something the size of a PT pro.. damn large pedals for sounding better :cry:
Blackened Soul

IAMILFFAMOUS
IAMILFFAMOUS

Postby fcknoise » Mon Aug 10, 2020 6:42 am

Blackened Soul wrote::cry: I've always wanted a miniboard. Every time I try I don't like the sounds and end right back with something the size of a PT pro.. damn large pedals for sounding better :cry:

More room for the tone mojos to breathe
Cydonia wrote: Too bad no one here is interested in talking about "gear"

BossMann73 wrote:I didn't insult it......I "curated" a "different aesthetic.".

John wrote:I love how this forum has the GDP of Switzerland in pedals but the collective value of everyone's patch cables is less than the change in my couch cushions. And I don't have a couch.

Soundcloud: https://soundcloud.com/sharkmovieappriciator
Bandcamp: https://fcknoise.bandcamp.com/
fcknoise

IAMILFFAMOUS
IAMILFFAMOUS

Postby frigid midget » Mon Aug 10, 2020 8:38 am

Tiny affordable multi mod...You're obviously setting yourself up for somekind of compromise :idk:

As far as the Bitquest goes...I'm gonna have to go against the grain here. The fuzz is surprisingly useable, but you mainly want a BQ for the bitcrush/filter/pitch stuff. Nice bonus if you're into the other modulation settings, but if you're expecting a deep swooshing phase 90 kinda effect out of it as well as a tweakable flanger and a warm chorus...You'll probably want to keep looking for something else.

Also, if you're replacing both the phaser and the behringer, and cram everything together...There should easily be enough room to squeeze in the ehx Mod 11 or Zoom CDR70, no? :idk:
Or keep the phaser, and replace the behringer with a Digitech Nautila? Compared to high end seperate flange and phase pedals there's nothing overwhelming about the Nautila, but it covers the bases of both effects, and it's cheap and stereo. Also less of a pain to dial in than an actual digital multi pedal like the Zoom. No presets though.
Last edited by frigid midget on Tue Aug 25, 2020 11:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
frigid midget

IAMILF
IAMILF

Postby Errant Tiger » Mon Aug 10, 2020 8:58 am

Blackened Soul wrote::cry: I've always wanted a miniboard. Every time I try I don't like the sounds and end right back with something the size of a PT pro.. damn large pedals for sounding better :cry:

Putting this board together - and dropping down to 4-7 pedals from ~20 - has been really great for my playing. Nothing I COULDN'T have done on the big board, but it's nice to define/pare down to essentials for this particular stage.
Errant Tiger

experienced
experienced

Postby Errant Tiger » Mon Aug 10, 2020 9:03 am

frigid midget wrote:Tiny affordable multi mod...You're obviously setting yourself up for somekind of compromise :idk:

As far as the Bitquest goes...I'm gonna have to go against the grain here. The fuzz is surprisingly useable, but you mainly want a BT for the bitcrush/filter/pitch stuff. Nice bonus if you're into the other modulation settings, but if you're expecting a deep swooshing phase 90 kinda effect out of it as well as a tweakable flanger and a warm chorus...You'll probably want to keep looking for something else.

Also, if you're replacing both the phaser and the behringer, and cram everything together...There should easily be enough room to squeeze in the ehx Mod 11 or Zoom CDR70, no? :idk:
Or keep the phaser, and replace the behringer with a Digitech Nautila? Compared to high end seperate flange and phase pedals there's nothing overwhelming about the Nautila, but it covers the bases of both effects, and it's cheap and stereo. Also less of a pain to dial in than an actual digital multi pedal like the Zoom. No presets though.

The Mod11 and Zoom has been discussed previously - I like the Mod11 but am not in love with the phaser, which sounds too EHXy (go figure), and Zooms do not work for me because I'm an on-the-fly knob-twiddler (twss). BUT I had not thought of the Nautila - I love my Obscura and I don't need presets. Stereo is nice but for this board I'm consciously sticking with mono, for now. Thanks for the tip!

Last night I shifted things up quite a bit, and while I haven't tested it yet, the current chain is:

Pigpile>MXR 6 band EQ>Mel9>Phase 95>DD-20>Slo>Behringer (for pitch shifting).
Errant Tiger

experienced
experienced

Postby mathias » Mon Aug 10, 2020 9:58 am

Schlatte wrote:Yeah, the Mooer and Valeton pedals are basically 1:1 the same. It's more or less just a question of availability. Here the Mooers are offered far more often than the Valeton pedals, I think it's different on your side of the pond?

I think Valeton might be out of business. Just saw a “60 cycle hum” channel afford-a-board video from June that suggested they were selling off remaining stock. Is there a
Mooer exact clone of the Valeton Coral Mod?

I’m not a big chorus person, but the Coral Mod has a Jazz Chorus amp inspired chorus that I like. And the tremolo and slap back echo aren’t bad. Not into the flanger but I’ve got much nicer DSP flanger in a much more expensive pedal now.
ILF Equipped :love:

skullservant wrote:You can like whatever you want so long as it makes you happy

Searching for that new sound.
If you can read this, then I'm back? :?:
mathias

IAMILFFAMOUS
IAMILFFAMOUS

PreviousNext

Return to General Gear