Useable gated fuzz?

Moderator: Ghost Hip

Re: Useable gated fuzz?

Postby chromandre » Sun Jun 21, 2020 9:38 pm

the zvex mammoth! few more knobs than you want but there is an incredible action on the gate of this fuzz

also pretty sure mode 4 of a lovetone big cheese (clone)...
chromandre

committed
committed

Postby goroth » Mon Jun 22, 2020 3:12 am

coupleonapkins wrote:Fuzzhugger Velcrobot? :idk:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xFvj6doRQSU

This is the answer right here.
ALLisNOISE wrote:you can dial in some wonderfully smeared 12bit cascades of cicadas leveling a hail of rockets against an army of rusty box fans!

Latest album out on all streaming services and bandcamp and what not.
Spotify /// Apple Music
My band /// Instagram ///Bandcamp ///
goroth

HERO
HERO

Postby goroth » Mon Jun 22, 2020 3:13 am

retinal orbita wrote:Perhaps the Unpleasant Surprise? Two knobs, three switches, sounds as described “like getting your shoulder caught in the reciprocating saw”.

Not cheap but can be found used. Small footprint. Sounds horrible.

And in the event that the first answer isn’t doing it for you this is another great suggestion.

But velcrobot.
ALLisNOISE wrote:you can dial in some wonderfully smeared 12bit cascades of cicadas leveling a hail of rockets against an army of rusty box fans!

Latest album out on all streaming services and bandcamp and what not.
Spotify /// Apple Music
My band /// Instagram ///Bandcamp ///
goroth

HERO
HERO

Postby fcknoise » Mon Jun 22, 2020 4:24 am

zoom ultra fuzz does really nice gated fuzz. I haven't checked in a while but they were not too expensive when I sold mine
Cydonia wrote: Too bad no one here is interested in talking about "gear"

BossMann73 wrote:I didn't insult it......I "curated" a "different aesthetic.".

John wrote:I love how this forum has the GDP of Switzerland in pedals but the collective value of everyone's patch cables is less than the change in my couch cushions. And I don't have a couch.

Soundcloud: https://soundcloud.com/sharkmovieappriciator
Bandcamp: https://fcknoise.bandcamp.com/
fcknoise

IAMILFFAMOUS
IAMILFFAMOUS

Postby frigid midget » Mon Jun 22, 2020 5:53 am

Thanks!

I'm picky when it comes to the "gated and experimental" vs "useable and vintage-y" ratio. And most boutique brands are really hard to come by on the local (eu) used market.

Zoom UF-1: they rarely pop up on ebay/reverb/etc, and when they do they seem to go for similar prices as what the hand build boutique alternatives cost :idk:

I've actaully never owned a Fuzzhugger pedal :mope:
Velcrobot might be a good introduction :)
frigid midget

IAMILF
IAMILF

Postby fcknoise » Mon Jun 22, 2020 5:59 am

frigid midget wrote:Thanks!

I'm picky when it comes to the "gated and experimental" vs "useable and vintage-y" ratio. And most boutique brands are really hard to come by on the local (eu) used market.

Zoom UF-1: they rarely pop up on ebay/reverb/etc, and when they do they seem to go for similar prices as what the hand build boutique alternatives cost :idk:

I've actaully never owned a Fuzzhugger pedal :mope:
Velcrobot might be a good introduction :)

Yeah I checked reverb after I posted and there was one for like... used Fuzz factory-money. These things perplex me. Although I remember buying mine for like 60€ and selling it for around 100€ a year or so later, so perhaps I saw it happening.
Cydonia wrote: Too bad no one here is interested in talking about "gear"

BossMann73 wrote:I didn't insult it......I "curated" a "different aesthetic.".

John wrote:I love how this forum has the GDP of Switzerland in pedals but the collective value of everyone's patch cables is less than the change in my couch cushions. And I don't have a couch.

Soundcloud: https://soundcloud.com/sharkmovieappriciator
Bandcamp: https://fcknoise.bandcamp.com/
fcknoise

IAMILFFAMOUS
IAMILFFAMOUS

Postby Dowi » Mon Jun 22, 2020 9:24 am

I came here to say DBA APOCALYPSE in mode 4, but i don't think it gives you all that low end you need. Maybe a TAFM with the gate/gain footswitch always turned on?
BIRCH BARK | Solo stuff | Bandcamp - Youtube
HIBAGON | Polyrhythmic Heavy Duo | Bandcamp - Spotyshit
Dowi

IAMILF
IAMILF

Postby gila_crisis » Mon Jun 22, 2020 9:39 am

maybe check also Copilot pedals, I can't tell you which pedal they do may be for you, but I remeber they did quite few different types of fuzz pedals, some of whch also capable of these gated sounds.

https://www.copilotfx.com/orbit.html
https://www.copilotfx.com/terra.html
gila_crisis

experienced
experienced

Postby Pete » Mon Jun 22, 2020 1:23 pm

A really good one that hasn’t been mentioned is the Paradoz Fuzz E Cat. Does oscillation too if you want it. One of my favorites!
Pete

experienced
experienced

Postby JM Charcot » Mon Jun 22, 2020 2:16 pm

frigid midget wrote:Low and behold: a thread asking for fuzz recommendations in :animal: ILF

- Affordable, easily available, preferably used.

- Compact, not overflowing with controls and switches that re mostly about subtle tweaks. Doesn't have to be a two-knob set&forget pedal, but I tend to suffer from option anxiety, and I just get annoyed when pedal builders feel the need to add controls for the sake of adding controls. I like it when they get it right straight of the work bench, with most of the swxeet spots already locked in.

- Most importantly: a fuzz factory or wolf computer won't cut it. I'm after something that does that typical sputtery thing, without going overboard into synth country. Something that'll get super saturated and still retain enough low end to cut through a messy mix.

All I can think of when it comes to large company stuff: Way Huge Conquistador. Anything else/better I should check out? Cheers.

Zvex Mastotron should do it, easy and massive low end.

SS/BS TAFM also but maybe too many knobs..
JM Charcot

committed
committed

Postby frigid midget » Mon Jun 22, 2020 3:17 pm

JM Charcot wrote:
frigid midget wrote:Low and behold: a thread asking for fuzz recommendations in :animal: ILF

- Affordable, easily available, preferably used.

- Compact, not overflowing with controls and switches that re mostly about subtle tweaks. Doesn't have to be a two-knob set&forget pedal, but I tend to suffer from option anxiety, and I just get annoyed when pedal builders feel the need to add controls for the sake of adding controls. I like it when they get it right straight of the work bench, with most of the swxeet spots already locked in.

- Most importantly: a fuzz factory or wolf computer won't cut it. I'm after something that does that typical sputtery thing, without going overboard into synth country. Something that'll get super saturated and still retain enough low end to cut through a messy mix.

All I can think of when it comes to large company stuff: Way Huge Conquistador. Anything else/better I should check out? Cheers.

Zvex Mastotron should do it, easy and massive low end.

SS/BS TAFM also but maybe too many knobs..

Yeah I'm actually thinking of going against my rule of not buying the same pedal twice, and give the mastoton another try with my current rig. They're easy enough to find used, and pretty cheap too. I had a love/hate thing going with my mastotron. I think I was mainly about the amp it was pushing, and what guitar/pickups I was using. Dangerous amounts of low end indeed. I lacked a bit of hair/grit for leads though. Not sure how to describe it, plenty of balls/oomph for chords, but not that much fuzzy saturation on single notes.
The demos online sound way different than how I remember my Mastotron though, which may confirm that it can be picky with guitars/amps.

Been wanting to try a TAFM for ages, dispite all the controls...They're really rare/pricey on the local used market though :/
frigid midget

IAMILF
IAMILF

Postby Eivind August » Mon Jun 22, 2020 5:48 pm

Fuzzhugger is definitely a good candidate. I seem to remember the Suneater doing some gated-ish sounds too?

Also, Devi Ever OK should do the trick. Or the Bit. I see old Devis quite often on the used market in Europe, and apparently there are new ones made in Ireland? :idk:
https://irerror.bandcamp.com/

friendship wrote:You motherfuckers think I won't fuck up a couple octoroks and assemble the Triforce?

Deals:
NSFW: show
succor, UncleBBQ, jerms, marco.desan, jwar, robapov, Tom Dalton, Gigahearts_FX, frigid midget, K2000, Tristan, untilshewokeme, backwardsvoyager, Strange Tales, brandsmannen, Ugly Casanova, goroth, Abanoise, Casavettes, multi_s, oldangelmidnight, Jero, Inconuucl, Dungus, christianatl, doralin, Wittgenstein, worra, D.o.S, rfurtkamp, blankfield, sillyfabe
Eivind August

HERO
HERO

Postby Pete » Mon Jun 22, 2020 9:52 pm

Eivind August wrote:Fuzzhugger is definitely a good candidate. I seem to remember the Suneater doing some gated-ish sounds too?

Also, Devi Ever OK should do the trick. Or the Bit. I see old Devis quite often on the used market in Europe, and apparently there are new ones made in Ireland? :idk:

Yeah, OK is a cool pedal! Low gain and sputtery.

I'll add the US and Hounds Tooth pedals to the list too. Hounds Tooth is SUPER gated and more of a specialized sound, while the US is more versatile and usable.
Pete

experienced
experienced

Postby Tristan » Wed Jul 01, 2020 5:07 am

Fuzzwell Maypole is awesome, Snufkino (UK based) is here on the forum!
Plus, probably Jero will have something to your liking as well. :D
good deals with: the_brow, phantasmagorovich, alexsga, DarkAxel, goroth, The Wood Wizard, Tendollarcat, vbps, monkeydancer, intothegroove, Brobee
Tristan

Supporter
Supporter

Postby frigid midget » Wed Jul 01, 2020 9:10 am

Thanks.

I've a good couple contenstants I'm keeping my eyes open for. Like I mensioned, 90% of the boutique brands that were mensioned aren't easy to come by on the used marked here in the EU. So that kinda limits my options. This isn't a "I've got studio time booked and my toan also needs this pedlol for my upcoming worldwide tour" sorta thing. Don't even have a band anymore, I'm just into living room solo noise making these days. Just saying I've got time on my side, the right pedal will come along sooner or later :)

Redoing my pedalboard right now. Running out of solder and velcro, and I also noticed I've got board space left for more than just one fuzz pedal :excellent:
frigid midget

IAMILF
IAMILF

PreviousNext

Return to General Gear