Hologram Microcosm

Moderator: Ghost Hip

Hologram Microcosm

Postby Blood_mountain » Mon May 11, 2020 6:15 pm

Hi Pals,

I'm curious about this one...I have an Infinite Jets, but maybe I'll sell it and get a Microcosm? Not sure if this was just added, but the manual is on the website now:

https://www.hologramelectronics.com/microcosm

For those who have pre-ordered, what are you most excited for?

It'd be cool to see some more detailed demos of this thing in action!
Blood_mountain

FAMOUS
FAMOUS

Re: Hologram Microcosm

Postby cbm » Tue May 12, 2020 4:29 am

I think that this one has a lot going for it. It will be great for a lot of people, IMO.

The manual is now available at:
https://b82316c2-7eca-4286-9569-a4da8097c930.filesusr.com/ugd/74428b_7b2de69dcdfc4d5f8f745373b8fab887.pdf
cbm

committed
committed

Postby xcc » Tue May 12, 2020 11:26 am

Blood_mountain wrote:Hi Pals,

I'm curious about this one...I have an Infinite Jets, but maybe I'll sell it and get a Microcosm? Not sure if this was just added, but the manual is on the website now:

I pretty much excited for everything it does. I really miss the glitch parts of Infinite Jets, which was too big to justify that one effect. I can also see it doing what I had hoped Blooper would do for me but easier. Also, clock sync to eurorack (via MIDI), what seems to be a really nice reverb, wobbly bits, and some Particle-ish stuff. If this thing is user friendly (we'll see), then I can see it taking over a lot of what I use multiple pedals for.
xcc

interested
interested

Postby D.o.S. » Tue May 12, 2020 11:31 am

I mean hurr durr I have Ableton already and so on... but this looks pretty lit if you're not a computer music person.

On the surface, it's much more interesting to me than the Jets was.
good deals are here.
escapecraft is here.
UglyCasanova wrote: It's not the expensive programs you use, it's the way you click and drag.

Achtane wrote:
comesect2.0 wrote:Michael Jackson king tut little Richard in your butt.

IT'S THE ENNNND OF THE WORRRLD AS WE KNOW IT
D.o.S.

IAMILFFAMOUS
IAMILFFAMOUS

Postby Blood_mountain » Tue May 12, 2020 11:41 am

xcc wrote:
Blood_mountain wrote:Hi Pals,

I pretty much excited for everything it does. I really miss the glitch parts of Infinite Jets, which was too big to justify that one effect. I can also see it doing what I had hoped Blooper would do for me but easier. Also, clock sync to eurorack (via MIDI), what seems to be a really nice reverb, wobbly bits, and some Particle-ish stuff. If this thing is user friendly (we'll see), then I can see it taking over a lot of what I use multiple pedals for.

I'm just about to sell my Infinite Jets, and I'll miss the Glitch settings too, but other than that I think I have most of the other sounds covered more or less. I did like that you could record knob movements with the Infinite Jets, and I don't know that this is a feature of the Microcosm, but again, probably something I can live without. I'd like to wait and hear some demos too and hopefully someone can identify if the Microcosm has a major effect on the tone of your signal like the Jets does. That was a major downside of the Jets for me. I'm stoked that they included a reverb setting, maybe this will help beef up the tone.
Blood_mountain

FAMOUS
FAMOUS

Postby D.o.S. » Tue May 12, 2020 11:42 am

Have looked at it for 30 more seconds I can already imagine getting irritated at not being able to patch the presets on top of each other without limitations though.
good deals are here.
escapecraft is here.
UglyCasanova wrote: It's not the expensive programs you use, it's the way you click and drag.

Achtane wrote:
comesect2.0 wrote:Michael Jackson king tut little Richard in your butt.

IT'S THE ENNNND OF THE WORRRLD AS WE KNOW IT
D.o.S.

IAMILFFAMOUS
IAMILFFAMOUS

Postby Confuzzled » Tue May 12, 2020 2:20 pm

Damn, that sounds sweet but the price.... that's an extinction level event for my relationship. I also have so many fucking delays at this point but this does some cool shit. ugh. I may end up single yet again.
Confuzzled

experienced
experienced

Postby whoismarykelly » Tue May 12, 2020 5:35 pm

I think this may cover some ground that will allow me to remove some duplicates from my board depending on how the effects sound. Looking through the 4 options for each effect Im very impressed with the level of detail that goes into the differences. This could be an all-encompassing glitch and micro/macro looping box on a grander scale than the Tensor which is awesome.

Im most excited for how much this pedal appears to be focused on real-time performance playing. The other Hologram pedals have been kind of a bummer to use in the moment because they want you to do a ton of work to set up presets that work for some specific kind of thing. Also, back jacks.
whoismarykelly

FAMOUS
FAMOUS

Postby Blood_mountain » Tue May 12, 2020 9:19 pm

whoismarykelly wrote:I think this may cover some ground that will allow me to remove some duplicates from my board depending on how the effects sound. Looking through the 4 options for each effect Im very impressed with the level of detail that goes into the differences. This could be an all-encompassing glitch and micro/macro looping box on a grander scale than the Tensor which is awesome.

Im most excited for how much this pedal appears to be focused on real-time performance playing. The other Hologram pedals have been kind of a bummer to use in the moment because they want you to do a ton of work to set up presets that work for some specific kind of thing. Also, back jacks.

I was thinking the same thing - maybe I’d get rid of mood and infinite jets - jets is gone already, but I‘ll wait until I see some actual demoes to make a call on that.
Blood_mountain

FAMOUS
FAMOUS

Postby cbm » Sun May 17, 2020 3:53 am

They're shipping! I know one person who already got his, and another who get his next week.

There are a couple Microcosm first impression videos up on YouTube. Neither of them is all that comprehensive, but they're both worth watching.
cbm

committed
committed

Postby shikawkee » Sun May 17, 2020 7:22 am

whoismarykelly wrote:I think this may cover some ground that will allow me to remove some duplicates from my board depending on how the effects sound. Looking through the 4 options for each effect Im very impressed with the level of detail that goes into the differences. This could be an all-encompassing glitch and micro/macro looping box on a grander scale than the Tensor which is awesome.

It's way better than the other Hologram's. I think they've learned a few things.

If you need to trim down your rig it can help but it's not exactly like other devices in the category.
Perhaps if you have a few glitch/sampler devices it can replace one or two but it's not a Stamme(n), not quite a Ct5 (which is okay, I love my Ct5),
not exactly a Mood though closer to that than anything with more loop time, not really a Tensor and not quite a Hexe. It's pretty damn cool though.
I think I may make a second performance video today though I can swear how good it will be after a few hours but it will entertain me. :lol: :yay:
Singer-songwriter, composer and author. I also manufacture and distribute Gary Hall designed and endorsed Lexicon PCM42 mods. Owner of HOSAT Effects. BETA tester for Line 6 and Eventide.
shikawkee

FAMOUS
FAMOUS

Postby Blood_mountain » Sun May 17, 2020 10:44 am

shikawkee wrote:

It's way better than the other Hologram's. I think they've learned a few things.

If you need to trim down your rig it can help but it's not exactly like other devices in the category.
Perhaps if you have a few glitch/sampler devices it can replace one or two but it's not a Stamme(n), not quite a Ct5 (which is okay, I love my Ct5),
not exactly a Mood though closer to that than anything with more loop time, not really a Tensor and not quite a Hexe. It's pretty damn cool though.
I think I may make a second performance video today though I can swear how good it will be after a few hours but it will entertain me. :lol: :yay:

How is the sound? That was a big issue for me with the IJ
Blood_mountain

FAMOUS
FAMOUS

Postby shikawkee » Sun May 17, 2020 10:46 am

Blood_mountain wrote:
shikawkee wrote:

How is the sound? That was a big issue for me with the IJ

Excellent. And no low end loss either.
Singer-songwriter, composer and author. I also manufacture and distribute Gary Hall designed and endorsed Lexicon PCM42 mods. Owner of HOSAT Effects. BETA tester for Line 6 and Eventide.
shikawkee

FAMOUS
FAMOUS

Postby whoismarykelly » Sun May 17, 2020 10:49 am

shikawkee wrote:

The joy in all these things is that their workflow is different so while nothing will be exactly like anything else it is nice if I can drop something like a duplicate Fabrikat from my board because the Microcosm does some of the Fabrikat things well.
whoismarykelly

FAMOUS
FAMOUS

Postby shikawkee » Sun May 17, 2020 11:53 am

whoismarykelly wrote:
shikawkee wrote:

The joy in all these things is that their workflow is different so while nothing will be exactly like anything else it is nice if I can drop something like a duplicate Fabrikat from my board because the Microcosm does some of the Fabrikat things well.

I would stick my neck out and say you probably could drop the Fabrikat.
Just not the Bakfram <g>.
shikawkee

FAMOUS
FAMOUS

Next

Return to General Gear