State of the Flanger: 2022 (and beyond!!!)

Moderator: Ghost Hip

Re: State of the Flanger: 2020

Postby coldbrightsunlight » Tue Nov 26, 2019 5:17 pm

The flanger hoax is so good! But too complicated. But so good. It does

e v e r y t h i n g

But I'm glad I've messed around with one for a few months, very fun.
füzz lover. Friend. Quilter evangelist.

I make music sometimes:

https://nitrx.bandcamp.com/

https://mediocrisy.bandcamp.com/

https://fleshcouch.bandcamp.com
coldbrightsunlight

Supporter
Supporter

Postby BoatRich » Wed Nov 27, 2019 1:52 am

Is it worth buying the ADA PBF for Cure tones and post rock on bass or should I just find a BF-3 or something cheap? I just want a chorus with a bit more movement and every chorus I try seems more oriented towards loFi than spacey.
BoatRich

IAMILF
IAMILF

Postby echorec » Wed Nov 27, 2019 12:58 pm

BoatRich wrote:Is it worth buying the ADA PBF for Cure tones and post rock on bass or should I just find a BF-3 or something cheap? I just want a chorus with a bit more movement and every chorus I try seems more oriented towards loFi than spacey.

I was not a fan of the A/DA PBF myself. The BF-2 was definitely used by the band, but there are several flangers/chorus units that are solid for darkwave/80s indie. The Banshees used the grey MXR. I use the Strymon Orbit on synths for sci-fi/70s soundscapes. Being digital, it's definitely more hi-fi and less murky than other flangers.

For goth/post-rock, the OBNE Flat Light should work well. ---If you just want texture and some width, without a deep chorusing effect, you might listen to the Keeley 30ms. That's really the chorus for people who don't generally like chorus.

This seems to be heavily borrowed from the Mistress and is dirt cheap.

https://reverb.com/item/13247094-mode-m ... 2018-black

https://youtu.be/S93AMm8CkRI?t=226
echorec

IAMILFFAMOUS
IAMILFFAMOUS

Postby John Matrix » Wed Nov 27, 2019 1:13 pm

BoatRich wrote:Is it worth buying the ADA PBF for Cure tones and post rock on bass or should I just find a BF-3 or something cheap? I just want a chorus with a bit more movement and every chorus I try seems more oriented towards loFi than spacey.

As great as it sounds I can't recommend buying one. I had to send mine in for repairs once, took forever to get it fixed. It broke again a year later and I have been trying to get them to fix it since July with no success. I should mention, it is outside of warranty so it's not like these are free repairs.
John Matrix

experienced
experienced

Postby Chankgeez » Thu Nov 28, 2019 8:47 pm

psychic vampire. wrote:The important take away from this thread: Taoism and Ring Modulators go together?
…...........................…
Sweet dealin's: here
"Now, of course, Strega is not a Minimoog… and I am not Sun Ra" - dude from MAKENOISE
#GreenRinger
Chankgeez

IAMILFFAMOUS
IAMILFFAMOUS

Location: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FGhbeHujNZQ youtube.com/watch?v=V-2l7kkBURc

Postby Dandolin » Sat Nov 30, 2019 2:32 am

wootenanny the flanger thread. :!!!:

I feel like my flanger thoughts are too nerdtech, though.

recently finding that I want the flange to happen in the upper frequency ranges and leave the bottom un-molested (teehee). :idk:

The Subdecay Blue Shift caught my ear for this - bbd chips that have shorter delay ranges seem to afford that more extensive upper sweep. With Boss, the High-Band flanger for me rather than the BF2, for instance.

The A/DA is another one, though there are other aspects of that one I don't like as much.

Intrigued by the Ibanez FL99 lately :snax:

Some of the old Japanese flangers had super short delay times - like the Guyatone PS-004. Most of 'em just have the same MN3007 90% of all bbd flangers have :idk:

Digital pedals can easily dial in the really short delay times, and I don't mind them, but I do feel like they mostly lose a certain...smeariness...that I find attractive in the bbd ones.

Despite the ookiness about the whole Eventide Rose naming (and font madness) imbroglio, I think the flanger sounds in that box sound pretty pretty good.....

I have to say, it confuses me when people ask for a warm flanger - all flangers sound permafrost to me - that's the point to my ears. :trippy:

erm, yeah - lfo waveforms. The hyper triangular thing sounds good for those jet plane crawls, I guess, but my flange love starts with McGeoch and the other postpunkers who weren't really fooling around with that end of the flange, so I don't really give a damn about it, really. Really :lol: I kinda prefer something a little more siney - better for swirls - and avoid that nausea inducing inside-out whang. Or even better - just turn the lfo off and the regen all the way up and ping those steeldrums....

Whatever, even though I think he disagrees with a lot (most?) of my flanger ideas, I like Chank's taste in flangers....

Anyway - I'll stop.
Last edited by Dandolin on Mon Apr 24, 2023 8:55 pm, edited 2 times in total.
"In a moment of unparalleled genius, Noel Parachute headed off this potential disaster by unplugging the microphone."
Dandolin

IAMILFFAMOUS
IAMILFFAMOUS

Postby Chankgeez » Sat Nov 30, 2019 8:59 am

Dandolin wrote: permafrost

Dandolin wrote:McGeoch

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZJ2pDwbyxTc

:D
psychic vampire. wrote:The important take away from this thread: Taoism and Ring Modulators go together?
…...........................…
Sweet dealin's: here
"Now, of course, Strega is not a Minimoog… and I am not Sun Ra" - dude from MAKENOISE
#GreenRinger
Chankgeez

IAMILFFAMOUS
IAMILFFAMOUS

Location: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FGhbeHujNZQ youtube.com/watch?v=V-2l7kkBURc

Postby Dandolin » Sat Nov 30, 2019 9:43 am

:D :D :D

Also, I think every flanger should have a mix control *and* a manual control. yeah, perfect 50/50 mix brings out the f in flange, but ability to get more subtle or more pitchy expands usefulness exponentially :idea:

as for the manual, accidental chorus is a risk we must all bear.... :snax:
"In a moment of unparalleled genius, Noel Parachute headed off this potential disaster by unplugging the microphone."
Dandolin

IAMILFFAMOUS
IAMILFFAMOUS

Postby Dandolin » Sat Nov 30, 2019 11:53 am

oldangelmidnight wrote:Maybe you want some ring modulation with your flanging?

Whale sounds start at 5:13

that's a killer app :love: yes, i, for one, would like ring mod on my flange - sounds even better than I would have thought.... :snax:

I need to set up the BD-101 to try to get something like that.

I keep toying with picking up a Doepfer A-188 w/ a short time chip (mn3006 or mn3009, probs) to do similar experiments....
Dandolin

IAMILFFAMOUS
IAMILFFAMOUS

Postby qersty » Sat Nov 30, 2019 12:13 pm

Dandolin wrote::D :D :D

Also, I think every flanger should have a mix control *and* a manual control. yeah, perfect 50/50 mix brings out the f in flange, but ability to get more subtle or more pitchy expands usefulness exponentially :idea:

I think all flangers (choruses too, maybe also even phasers) should have a control to invert the polarity of the wet signal (not feedback loop!). I think it's super useful and it is a totally different sound. On stereo choruses you can do it by plugging into the wrong output to get all shimmery but it would be so much better with a switch
imagine finding out your son is your daughter & she's into noise music
qersty

IAMILF
IAMILF

Postby Dandolin » Sat Nov 30, 2019 12:37 pm

I agree!

Off the top of my head, these "flangers" do it, but I know there are some more:
A/DA
Subdecay Starlight DLX
Ibanez FL99
Eventide Rose
CB Spectre
EQD Pyramids
Keeley Mod Workstation
EHX Flanger Hoax (in a complicated kinda way)
Foxrox TZF
Alexander F13
The Strymes, I assume....
Dandolin

IAMILFFAMOUS
IAMILFFAMOUS

Postby qersty » Sat Nov 30, 2019 1:03 pm

Strymon does not, well it does when you do tzf stuff but there is no real this is adding, this is subtracting. Also it's a very unimpressive flanger, even the weird mode on it is just meh but it was an ok chorus
imagine finding out your son is your daughter & she's into noise music
qersty

IAMILF
IAMILF

Postby friendship » Sat Nov 30, 2019 2:31 pm

How is the Pyramids? Starting to look at kitchen sink flangers
sound journal

actualidiot wrote:12-bit's almost analog, right?
friendship

IAMILFFAMOUS
IAMILFFAMOUS

Postby Dandolin » Sat Nov 30, 2019 4:38 pm

qersty wrote:Strymon does not, well it does when you do tzf stuff but there is no real this is adding, this is subtracting. Also it's a very unimpressive flanger, even the weird mode on it is just meh but it was an ok chorus

noted - I think that's the deal with the Hoax, too - it's not negative feedback, you're just inverting the phase on one of the delay lines....
Dandolin

IAMILFFAMOUS
IAMILFFAMOUS

Postby coldbrightsunlight » Sat Nov 30, 2019 6:14 pm

Dandolin wrote::D :D :D

I totally agree. I think the A/DA is probably my favourite for tonal variation that I have tried because of this control layout. Sure the Flanger Hoax does more but trying to aim for a specific thing is like trying to fly a fighter jet after you got too drunk and broke into the airbase on spring break.

Dandolin wrote:
qersty wrote:Strymon does not, well it does when you do tzf stuff but there is no real this is adding, this is subtracting. Also it's a very unimpressive flanger, even the weird mode on it is just meh but it was an ok chorus

noted - I think that's the deal with the Hoax, too - it's not negative feedback, you're just inverting the phase on one of the delay lines....

That's definitely how the FH does it.
füzz lover. Friend. Quilter evangelist.

I make music sometimes:

https://nitrx.bandcamp.com/

https://mediocrisy.bandcamp.com/

https://fleshcouch.bandcamp.com
coldbrightsunlight

Supporter
Supporter

PreviousNext

Return to General Gear