Roland AF-100 Bee Baa Question

Moderator: Ghost Hip

Roland AF-100 Bee Baa Question

Postby ck3 » Sun Nov 03, 2019 3:34 pm

After many years of searching and being content with clones, I finally pulled the trigger on an OG Roland AF-100 Bee Baa last week. Unlike the 5 other modern variants on hand, there's a wacky "off" position for the sustain control. I did some Google and internal ILF searching and was unable to determine if the sustain "off" positon can allow there to be no battery depletion with cables connected to both jacks and/or has to he switched off to prevent battery drain. Does anyone know relevant details?
ck3

FAMOUS
FAMOUS

Re: Roland AF-100 Bee Baa Question

Postby lordgalvar » Sun Nov 03, 2019 3:36 pm

It's just an off switch to save the battery and still leave it wired inline . Wish more battery pedals had them. Fuzzrites are awesome.
-Ring Mods!
"I make you chocolate"
    -comesect69-via-Majin Buu-by-way-of-Dirge/mtl.asm and special consideration from CA Anderton
lordgalvar

Supporter
Supporter

Postby ck3 » Sun Nov 03, 2019 8:04 pm

Thanks. Pretty nifty. Surprised this feature was removed from clones. I have to delve into Fuzzrite variants at some point.
ck3

FAMOUS
FAMOUS

Postby Jero » Sun Nov 03, 2019 9:37 pm

ck3 wrote:Thanks. Pretty nifty. Surprised this feature was removed from clones. I have to delve into Fuzzrite variants at some point.

I don't know of any clones that are battery only, so seems pretty normal to exclude it. Plus it's harder (slightly) to find switched pots in particular values.

...I still switch it off and unplug my cable anyway :lol: just a habit.
I make noise toys under Stomping Stones

oldangelmidnight wrote:This is the classic ILF I love. Emotional highs and lows. Scooped mids in my heart all day long.
Jero

IAMILFFAMOUS
IAMILFFAMOUS

Postby dub » Mon Nov 04, 2019 5:49 am

The switch also means the lowest the gain goes is the 9 o'clock position.

I remember Laowiz getting slightly confused when I told him one of my favourite rhythm tones was with the gain at "zero".
MATAMPS & TRASHED GUITARS
trades: Eric!, johndammit, Holy Schnikes, TheDandy, chatmatt, skullservant, intothegroove, Boxbie, bob the r0bot, sergiomunoz74, Laowiz, DannDubbleEwe, coldbrightsunlight
dub

committed
committed

Postby ck3 » Sat Nov 09, 2019 11:24 pm

Yeah. I also suppose it would be possible to place a dummy plug in the DC jack of a newer clone and achieve the same results.

Zero sustain is a cool setting, especially in mid scoop mode using a neck pickup and the tone completely rolled off (psuedo octave fuzz). The original AF-100's octave seems more subtle when attempting to produce the same effect, but it has a certain fatness and grind in full frequency fuzz mode that the clones can't quite reproduce with 100% accuracy.
ck3

FAMOUS
FAMOUS

Return to General Gear