Hey Everyone.

Moderator: Ghost Hip

Re: Hey Everyone.

Postby codetocontra » Sun Oct 06, 2019 5:54 pm

That is an interesting idea. Need a battery setup if I was going to do anything electronic. My gears are turning over here.
codetocontra

IAMILF
IAMILF

Postby MrNovember » Sun Oct 06, 2019 6:05 pm

codetocontra wrote:That is an interesting idea. Need a battery setup if I was going to do anything electronic. My gears are turning over here.

Yeah I would love to find something like that around here to explore. I've been toying with the idea of buying a portable battery pack for exploring with some synths
MrNovember

Modulae of BILF
Modulae of BILF

Postby coldbrightsunlight » Mon Oct 07, 2019 7:40 am

When I went to Berlin the reverb in the Teufelsberg domes was absolutely amazing. There was nobody around so I spent quite a while hitting stuff, whistling and singing. Spooky! Sadly my very low quality impulse recording did not produce great results in convolution plugins.
füzz lover. Friend. Quilter evangelist.

I make music sometimes:

https://nitrx.bandcamp.com/

https://mediocrisy.bandcamp.com/

https://fleshcouch.bandcamp.com
coldbrightsunlight

Supporter
Supporter

Postby $harkToootth » Sun Dec 01, 2019 7:46 pm

Inconuucl wrote:If my zoia breaks down the road I'll have a lot harder a time replacing it than if my install of ableton does. :idk:

Controllers like Push aside I don't count my computer as part of the cost because that's something I would need regardless. I paid about $600 for my suite license and it's given me a lot more mileage than the glitch and delay pedals it is taking the place on effects wise. Also not counting the whole DAW bit. :lol:

What is your set up now? You've been preaching for years and I haven't listened. I'm all ears now. I asked you in another thread too (like 5 mins ago :lol: ).
I want to know (I know you are using Ableton as the DAW).
1. What controllers are you using?
2. Plug ins?
3. IDK any tips for integration of everything?
"SWIPE LEFT ASSHOLE!" -retinal orbita
"Whatever ASSHOLE here’s my pedal that makes humpback whale noises and also it has a built in sequencer so stick it in your craw! -retinal orbita
"Patty Mullen takes me from a ball peen to a sledge" -The Great Velvet Hammer
"...at this exact moment Divine has learned of your jealous scheme from the local town gossip. She also has your address, ASS HOLE!" -Narrator (Mr. J) PINK FLAMINGOS
1 bird per post please
$harkToootth

IAMILFFAMOUS
IAMILFFAMOUS

Postby Inconuucl » Mon Dec 02, 2019 12:14 am

$harkToootth wrote:
Inconuucl wrote:If my zoia breaks down the road I'll have a lot harder a time replacing it than if my install of ableton does. :idk:

Controllers like Push aside I don't count my computer as part of the cost because that's something I would need regardless. I paid about $600 for my suite license and it's given me a lot more mileage than the glitch and delay pedals it is taking the place on effects wise. Also not counting the whole DAW bit. :lol:

What is your set up now? You've been preaching for years and I haven't listened. I'm all ears now. I asked you in another thread too (like 5 mins ago :lol: ).
I want to know (I know you are using Ableton as the DAW).
1. What controllers are you using?
2. Plug ins?
3. IDK any tips for integration of everything?

I must have missed you past post

My setup is pretty lean on purpose for table real estate reasons, this is also why I've gone to partial pedal zen mode too.

So for pedals I concentrate on what I can't easily replicate digitally and anything I would have before that point. So it's Tuner -> EQD Aquaduct -> SS/BS Mini -> Cvlt Deluxe Preamp. This is fed into my interface, which tomorrow will be a Motu M4. I chose it because it has an insanely low latency (we're talking sub 5ms roundtrips) with the option for direct monitoring to even remove that. It fairly new and a huge leap for the price range. Low Latency is always a must, but even more so if you're using your PC for more than just recording.

Review of the Motu M2:
NSFW: show

Thanks to the ever hand 1/8th to 1/4th audio cable I also connect my iPad on this chain. I could write essay on how a lower end iPad is huge for sound making. It has as good apps as a PC for a fraction of the price. I use that a lot with an app matrix mixer called ApeMatrix and make a lot of feedbacky stuff. Also using the microphone on the ipad itself is more than good enough when recording weird audio or sampling hits/materials/things you have lying around. I mean of course it's not "pristine" but if I'm using my iPad instead of my Mic I'm already running it through so many effects that worrying about fidelity is hilarious.

For controller I knew I was not going to go for the full on Push; I love the idea of not needing to see my computer, but the times I've tried switching to a workflow like that I ended up adding a screen regardless. Luckily the newish Launchpad X has all of the note playing coolness of the push, so I have all the note mode replicate a guitar which lets me jump between the two easily.

In the future I'll be looking to get a full foot MIDI remote, my plan is to use the clip view in ableton as a giant looper playground. I already do but I want to do that while playing guitar lol. This would also let me better use my favorite favorite app/VST Enso. Which is a crazy Frippertronics style looper with so many crazy things, like decoupling the read and rec heads' speed and direction. It's like $7 on the ipad rn for black friday and I think $40 on PC.

Aside from Enso I use a lot of creative routing of pretty generic stuff PC. Most out there app I have in the Ableton Grain Scanner, which I'm still exploring but using to morph sounds beyond what my usual chopping an stretching can do. There's also a lot of iPad shenanigans going on thanks to Ableton Link synchronizing my sessions.

Anyways, to tie this rambling essay down. Integrating depends entirely on what you want to integrate and how. My simple one lane chain is pretty cheap all things considered, but the more you'd want to have loops between hardware and digital the more you'll have to spend. I work in layers to solve this, but I know a lot pf people are put off by that. This entire idea for my setup started with the idea of working with layers thanks to the Doom 2016 soundtrack, where he said that he takes all of the sounds and uses a hardware matrix mixer to drive everything to the edge of becoming feedback and noise and then records and take all of the layers he made to make the music. That approach of making sounds and stacking them one by one was a complete epiphany. Like I knew of the concept before and I semi employed with looper pedals and such. But the way Mick Gordon would talk about it as a whole workflow clicked with me really well.

Also https://www.tobias-erichsen.de/software/rtpmidi.html for Midi over network, which when combined with Ableton Link makes life a lot easier.
Le Ciel Inconnu (I was a whale once.)
Chankgeez wrote:We should have a game show à la Name That Tune

Inconuucl: I can shoegaze that tune with 5 pedals.
other contestant: I can shoegaze that tune with 4 pedals.
Inconuucl: I can shoegaze that tune with 3 pedals.
other contestant: OK, shoegaze that tune!
Inconuucl: :!!!:
Inconuucl

Supporter
Supporter

Postby $harkToootth » Mon Dec 02, 2019 9:59 am

Reading and digesting. Tnx m8!
"Whatever ASSHOLE here’s my pedal that makes humpback whale noises and also it has a built in sequencer so stick it in your craw! -retinal orbita
"...at this exact moment Divine has learned of your jealous scheme from the local town gossip. She also has your address, ASS HOLE!" -Narrator (Mr. J) PINK FLAMINGOS
1 bird per post please
$harkToootth

IAMILFFAMOUS
IAMILFFAMOUS

Postby $harkToootth » Mon Dec 02, 2019 10:46 pm

Okay... this was great Inconuucl. It's a lot less complicated than I thought you had it. I took a screen shot though so I can come back to it.
I remember when the tensor was coming out... you posted about a time stretch app, and in this thread, wrote about Abelton satifying any glitch/granular needs you have. I must confess, when you posted about the ipad and apps I used to think this fucking guy but now I am ready to listen to reason. Thanks for being so helpful :hug:
1 bird per post please
$harkToootth

IAMILFFAMOUS
IAMILFFAMOUS

Postby Inconuucl » Mon Dec 02, 2019 11:03 pm

$harkToootth wrote:Okay... this was great Inconuucl. It's a lot less complicated than I thought you had it. I took a screen shot though so I can come back to it.
I remember when the tensor was coming out... you posted about a time stretch app, and in this thread, wrote about Abelton satifying any glitch/granular needs you have. I must confess, when you posted about the ipad and apps I used to think this fucking guy but now I am ready to listen to reason. Thanks for being so helpful :hug:

I mean, sometimes I look at my own set up and think really? My teenage goth/punk self would be so disappointed. :lol:

Also I'll be the first to tell you that this set up isn't really a be all, if you want to swing more on the effects/live playing side an irig stomp and an iPad Mini can get you up and running with a lot of crazy shit without looking like you've been ripped out of the nearest Cyberpunk movie set lol. I think Uglycasanova (Or was it Eivind August?) rocked something like that for a long while.

But you can always reach out if anything, I'm only a DM slide away. ;)
Le Ciel Inconnu (I was a whale once.)
Chankgeez wrote:We should have a game show à la Name That Tune

Inconuucl: I can shoegaze that tune with 5 pedals.
other contestant: I can shoegaze that tune with 4 pedals.
Inconuucl: I can shoegaze that tune with 3 pedals.
other contestant: OK, shoegaze that tune!
Inconuucl: :!!!:
Inconuucl

Supporter
Supporter

Previous

Return to General Gear