Do you guys have 'that guy' on your local CL?

Moderator: Ghost Hip

Re: Do you guys have 'that guy' on your local CL?

Postby retinal orbita » Tue Sep 10, 2019 9:34 pm

$harkToootth wrote:And my dream bass (It's a piece of shit but it's 'my dream' bass :lol:).

My dream bass was a 6 string Ibanez BTB - I bought it from a guy (failed screamo or tech metal band?) at a university frat house. I didn't have a car and it was on the outskirts of the city so my dad had to drive me out there, the house was a piece of shit and he said "if you don't come out in 15 minutes I will assume they are eating your corpse and I'm driving away" :lol: and then I bought it and we went for hamburgers and then his car broke down on the highway and the tow truck dropped me off at the subway and I was carrying this gigantic monster bass with no case around like a total asshole.

I've nabbed every sick DOD pedal, both bass heads, my synth, drum machine, etc all through waiting and finding solid deals. I'm willing to eat a little BS dealing with dickheads to not owe a guitar store money.....

Oh one time I sold my old bass and the guy drove up in the sketchiest white van and I was totally worried he was going to kill me but he was super nice and we talked about sick basses for like a half hour and then he paid me the full price and drove off.

Also one time I sold my Marshall JCM 900 head and the dude drove in from like 4 hours away, test drove it with some sick Slayer riffs, paid cash, no haggling while his wife and kids waited in a minivan outside my jam space - dude was so nice and then like a FULL YEAR LATER he calls me, out of the blue, drunk as anything to tell me how much he loves the amp. It was GREAT. "BROTHER THIS AMP HAS THE SICKEST TONES BROTHER"
retinal orbita

IAMILF
IAMILF

Postby $harkToootth » Tue Sep 10, 2019 9:39 pm

I’ve seen your bass... that thing looks like it rips. I wonder how many deals people have gotten buying a nice six string from a high school prog metal kid that joined a frat and found new purpose in life?
“If I sell this... I can pay my house dues.”
"SWIPE LEFT ASSHOLE!" -retinal orbita
"Whatever ASSHOLE here’s my pedal that makes humpback whale noises and also it has a built in sequencer so stick it in your craw! -retinal orbita
"Patty Mullen takes me from a ball peen to a sledge" -The Great Velvet Hammer
"...at this exact moment Divine has learned of your jealous scheme from the local town gossip. She also has your address, ASS HOLE!" -Narrator (Mr. J) PINK FLAMINGOS
1 bird per post please
$harkToootth

IAMILFFAMOUS
IAMILFFAMOUS

Postby retinal orbita » Tue Sep 10, 2019 9:44 pm

$harkToootth wrote:I’ve seen your bass... that thing looks like it rips. I wonder how many deals people have gotten buying a nice six string from a high school prog metal kid that joined a frat and found new purpose in life?
“If I sell this... I can pay my house dues.”

It rips hard.... I took it in for a setup about three weeks ago and they're really dragging their feet on it and I miss having it around, even if I'm not playing in a band currently.... I am hoping I get that calls soon baby cause I got get some skronkin' in.....
retinal orbita

IAMILF
IAMILF

Postby repoman » Tue Sep 10, 2019 9:44 pm

crochambeau wrote:I did a partial trade with a guy (this was the late 90s, we connected through a music store I was working at) for my Stratocaster, and he held firm on his price to the point at which he went home with $20 in quarters.

Someone about an hour south of me who appears to collect tools and stuff at estate sales, then turn around and ask insane prices as if the thing was either brand new or collectible. They used to just post one ad with like 20 pictures of different things, followed by a list of prices referencing "picture number 1" etc, but there were no numbers on the pictures so you had to hope the sequence was correct. All the ads would begin with:

"You are buying one or all"

I just did a search, and it appears they have figured out how to make a post for each item separately. Now the post just begins with:

"You are buying all"

https://eugene.craigslist.org/art/d/dra ... 87422.html

https://eugene.craigslist.org/grd/d/dra ... 16473.html

https://eugene.craigslist.org/grd/d/dra ... 06150.html

Sometimes it's nice to spot the wackos from way off.

I wonder if that bum deal on the 2011 rip-off call-out thread was pivotal or contributed in some motivational way in the creation of Industrialectric?

LMAO
F U T U R E G A M E R
repoman

IAMILF
IAMILF

Postby odontophobia » Tue Sep 10, 2019 10:34 pm

I bought an RV-3 off craigslist last winter. Met at a Walgreens parking lot. Guy shows up, whipping around in his car and waving the pedal out the window at me while smoking a cigarette.
odontophobia

Supporter
Supporter

Postby chromandre » Tue Sep 10, 2019 11:12 pm

I remember for years someone was desperately trying to find a buyer for a fitted hard shell case only for a moog liberation(vintage keytar). IIRC the price was decent.
chromandre

committed
committed

Postby retinal orbita » Wed Sep 11, 2019 7:10 am

odontophobia wrote:I bought an RV-3 off craigslist last winter. Met at a Walgreens parking lot. Guy shows up, whipping around in his car and waving the pedal out the window at me while smoking a cigarette.

And then he drove away? Or did he ever slow down and make a deal?
retinal orbita

IAMILF
IAMILF

Postby odontophobia » Wed Sep 11, 2019 3:06 pm

retinal orbita wrote:
odontophobia wrote:I bought an RV-3 off craigslist last winter. Met at a Walgreens parking lot. Guy shows up, whipping around in his car and waving the pedal out the window at me while smoking a cigarette.

And then he drove away? Or did he ever slow down and make a deal?

I got the pedal, I purchased on reverb but did local pickup, he has no choice but to stop.
odontophobia

Supporter
Supporter

Postby retinal orbita » Wed Sep 11, 2019 3:27 pm

Imagine the feeling of whippin’ donuts around a parking lot in your trans am, tantalizing the buyer with the pedal and causing such extreme anxiety “did this guy drive down here just to fuck with me and drive away?”

What a free spirit!

Imagine Thunderkiss ‘65 blaring the whole time. It would be worth the negative feedback on reverb! That’s LIVIN’ man!!
retinal orbita

IAMILF
IAMILF

Postby echorec » Wed Sep 11, 2019 5:50 pm

retinal orbita wrote:Imagine the feeling of whippin’ donuts around a parking lot in your trans am, tantalizing the buyer with the pedal and causing such extreme anxiety “did this guy drive down here just to fuck with me and drive away?”

What a free spirit!

Imagine Thunderkiss ‘65 blaring the whole time. It would be worth the negative feedback on reverb! That’s LIVIN’ man!!

+1

That reminds me of a guy from my hometown. He was like the redneck King Solomon. When local fuck-ups had an issue, they'd go see Mike out at his trailer. Typical cases went something like this: "Robbie screwed my ex- and he knew I wanted to get back with her," the plaintiff decried. King Mike would sit on his aluminum lawn chair, stroking his goatee. Then he'd succinctly declare that Robbie needed to receive a punch to the face as an act of penance. So Junkyard Steve coldcocks Robbie in the jaw, knocking him unconscious in one punch. Then as Robbie lied there motionless & bleeding on the dusty gravel, everyone else drudged back up the driveway to resume their drinking.

Eventually King Mike decided to take his justice away from the trailer and onto the strip. Some guy had been getting overly-aggressive with the local skin traders and K.M. inserted himself, by confronting the guy out by the Suds 'N Shine. After producing a pistol, K.M. fired a single shot in the air as a warning shot (in the middle of fucking town...in the middle of a sunny day). Last I heard, he got probation and slinked back into the familial confines of the outer county limits.
echorec

IAMILFFAMOUS
IAMILFFAMOUS

Postby $harkToootth » Wed Sep 11, 2019 6:14 pm

I will never forget reading that. Bravo. Redneck Taxi Driver.
TRAILER DRIVER!
"Whatever ASSHOLE here’s my pedal that makes humpback whale noises and also it has a built in sequencer so stick it in your craw! -retinal orbita
"...at this exact moment Divine has learned of your jealous scheme from the local town gossip. She also has your address, ASS HOLE!" -Narrator (Mr. J) PINK FLAMINGOS
1 bird per post please
$harkToootth

IAMILFFAMOUS
IAMILFFAMOUS

Postby mutron » Wed Sep 11, 2019 10:34 pm

This is the best thread I've ever read in my life. 10/10!
mutron

uncommitted
uncommitted

Postby _r_ » Thu Sep 12, 2019 5:58 am

Selling over here on Gumtree has been similarly hilarious. Once I sold my Shoe Gazer on there, probably had it listed for about £150 IIRC and someone messaged me offering £70 and asking me if I was selling it because it was broken... I usually list stuff for local collection/drop-off only to save the hassle of shipping and because I think Brighton has more guitarists per capita than anywhere else in the world, but I did get someone messaging me once about a piece of gear I was trying to get a quick sale on saying he didn't live in Brighton but would probably be visiting 'sometime in the next 6 months'!

Also, going off on a major tangent here but I've learned over the last year that when you work in a music store the general public actually see you as a pawnbroker. I'm not exaggerating when I say about half the phone calls we receive are people inquiring about our interest in various junk musical instruments they're trying to get rid of. We once had a woman come in trying to sell a classical guitar whose neck heel had snapped completely off the body and couldn't understand why this might put us off buying it off her...
Fane - folk music from the furthest reaches
_r_

committed
committed

Location: The United Kingdom of Great Britain and Northern Ireland

Postby $harkToootth » Thu Sep 12, 2019 4:11 pm

_r_ wrote:I think Brighton has more guitarists per capita than anywhere else in the world...

I’m going to say this checks out because I’ve been there ONCE and even though this movie takes place on the polar opposite part of the UK, I watched GOD HELP THE GIRL and it seems like there are a lot of guitarist in Glasgow so Brighton is close enough. Case closed.

I feel like... somewhere in Canada might be a contender? I’d actually be really interested to know. I’ll check in with my guys in the African Noise scene as well.
1 bird per post please
$harkToootth

IAMILFFAMOUS
IAMILFFAMOUS

Postby retinal orbita » Thu Sep 12, 2019 5:14 pm

$harkToootth wrote:I feel like... somewhere in Canada might be a contender? I’d actually be really interested to know.

If I met someone between the ages of 15-55 and they “didn’t” “play guitar” I would simply assume they were lying.

There’s a few punishers on the musicians wanted section as well - one guy has been posting the same ad for a drop tuning band - I can only assume it sounds like Queensrych meets Pantera from the description. “Looking for all instruments”.

I’ve spent a lot of time reading and replying to those ads when looking for a band and now I just read them for fun to see cool bands like:

Meninist alt-rock “no snowflakes or libtards”

A Ramones “all male” cover band (“sorry ladies guy only” was the selling point).

Black metal - “no snowflakes” (okay we get it, you’re a Nazi)

Fuck I recently saw one for a “Lana Del Ray” cover band looking for singer

One time I made a fake ad “heavy psych band looking for spiritual guru” (the band was real) and wow did I get some weird responses.

I’m going to go through my Instagram and post a screenshot of one I made a few years ago.....
retinal orbita

IAMILF
IAMILF

PreviousNext

Return to General Gear