Instant lofi alternative?

Moderator: Ghost Hip

Re: Instant lofi alternative?

Postby Bearstripes » Tue Aug 20, 2019 9:05 pm

I have a ce5 that I’ve tried before. Will have to mess with that again.
Bearstripes

experienced
experienced

Postby Blood_mountain » Tue Aug 20, 2019 11:14 pm

Another one is the Retroactive Pedals Dot Chaser - currently sold out on the site tho:

https://www.retroactivepedals.com/shop/ ... jmn3mhaznn
Blood_mountain

FAMOUS
FAMOUS

Postby manymanyhaha » Wed Aug 21, 2019 4:53 am

Had Warped Vinyl V1 for awhile but hardly every played it. Don't remember why.

Had a Wardenclyffe and tried it a handful of times. I remember liking the warble but I kept going back to a narrow range with it and didn't care for the reverb for more than a few second diversion here or there.

I bought an Afterneath upon reading about the MBV mode and I like it for that though my particular pedal seems to have a nasty clipping thing that when it crops up, IS. Truly. Fucking. Yak.

Watched the abunchofpedals demo of the Demedash T-120 and liked it. There is the Young Team era sounding bass part in the middle.

I agree about the Mid Fi. Bare minimum is a mix knob, no?
manymanyhaha

FAMOUS
FAMOUS

Postby Ghost Hip » Wed Aug 21, 2019 10:33 am

I bought a Shallow Water on a 4th of July deal and it hasn't been turned off yet. I always have it set 100% wet and it pairs really well with the MOOD and CT5. I also used it during a solo guitar+vocals set and it just added a nice warm depth that kept me inspired/feeling good about my voice+guitar tonally.

Cannot really speak to any other pedals of the genre, but I know I won't be looking for anything else for a long while.
Youtube Channel?

mr. sound boy king wrote:Organic apples are not normal, they are special, like analog, whereas normal apples, like digital, taste sterile and lack warmth.

friendship wrote:y u h8 swoosh woosh
Ghost Hip

Postby Bearstripes » Wed Aug 21, 2019 11:15 am

I know I sound like a broken record (pun intended) but does the meet Maude do a straight vibrato, no delay and no dry signal? I have an offer for one and that is the one think I didn’t consider that would be a deal breaker
Bearstripes

experienced
experienced

Postby Blood_mountain » Wed Aug 21, 2019 11:40 am

Bearstripes wrote:I know I sound like a broken record (pun intended) but does the meet Maude do a straight vibrato, no delay and no dry signal? I have an offer for one and that is the one think I didn’t consider that would be a deal breaker

I have one on order, but I’ve never actually played one. It seems like you can minimize the delay time, Max the mix and modulation and get the shallow water sounds. The mod circuit is basically the same as the shallow water but has less tweakability than the shallow water itself. At about 2 minutes in this demo, he demonstrates this pretty well:

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=MdL_S-9dL58
Blood_mountain

FAMOUS
FAMOUS

Postby mcatano » Wed Aug 21, 2019 12:13 pm

Bearstripes wrote:I know I sound like a broken record (pun intended) but does the meet Maude do a straight vibrato, no delay and no dry signal? I have an offer for one and that is the one think I didn’t consider that would be a deal breaker

Kinda but not really. If you set the delay time to 10 and set the feedback to zero with the mix 100% wet you'll get a kind of garbled, chewed cassette sound, but it doesn't really sound like the shallow water nor do you have much control beyond the two levels of vibrato. The meet maude is a rad pedal, but it's not a substitute for the shallow water. I had both and kept the MM.

EDIT: just to add, the vibrato effect would be more apparent if you used a lower setting w/ the delay time knob but you can't control pre-delay on the MM so at 100% wet there's a pretty noticeable lag between signal in and signal out that increases as you increase delay time/dial back the knob.
mcatano

committed
committed

Postby Bearstripes » Wed Aug 21, 2019 12:24 pm

I saw the demo and think it sounds good. Basically just want to ensure similar tones to the lofi junky. Not to concerned about too much control. It’s mostly gonna go on my board to act as a lofi chorus/vibrato with an expression pedal to do some fun pitchy delay stuff
Bearstripes

experienced
experienced

Postby Bearstripes » Wed Aug 21, 2019 12:26 pm

mcatano wrote:

Kinda but not really. If you set the delay time to 10 and set the feedback to zero with the mix 100% wet you'll get a kind of garbled, chewed cassette sound, but it doesn't really sound like the shallow water nor do you have much control beyond the two levels of vibrato. The meet maude is a rad pedal, but it's not a substitute for the shallow water. I had both and kept the MM.

EDIT: just to add, the vibrato effect would be more apparent if you used a lower setting w/ the delay time knob but you can't control pre-delay on the MM so at 100% wet there's a pretty noticeable lag between signal in and signal out that increases as you increase delay time/dial back the knob.

This is what I’m concerned about. I’ve used delays as chorus/vibrato before but can’t stand that lag. So your saying that with mix and delay maxed, no feedback and what not, there is still a lag?
Bearstripes

experienced
experienced

Postby mcatano » Wed Aug 21, 2019 12:31 pm

Yeah, exactly—I'm pretty sure the MM is actually analog and not just "analog voiced" or whatever, so the delay path is going to have the first repeat offset from the input by whatever length to which you set the delay time.
mcatano

committed
committed

Postby mcatano » Wed Aug 21, 2019 12:37 pm

As an aside, one thing that's nice about the shallow water which the Cooper gen loss lacks is the output volume control. I had a shallow water, sold it, wound up getting a gen loss a few years later and while it's a cool pedal for sure I don't see how you could use it in a live band setting as most of the settings result in pretty substantial volume drop due to the filtering and such.
mcatano

committed
committed

Postby shikawkee » Wed Aug 21, 2019 1:32 pm

Honestly, as someone who had a Lo Fi Junky I can tell you that the video somebody put on YouTube making a preset on the Zoom MS-50G gets you pretty damn close. You have to tweak to taste, adjust levels and compression of course, etc. but it's really, really good.
Singer-songwriter, composer and author. I also manufacture and distribute Gary Hall designed and endorsed Lexicon PCM42 mods. Owner of HOSAT Effects. BETA tester for Line 6 and Eventide.
shikawkee

FAMOUS
FAMOUS

Postby Bearstripes » Wed Aug 21, 2019 2:26 pm

mcatano wrote:As an aside, one thing that's nice about the shallow water which the Cooper gen loss lacks is the output volume control. I had a shallow water, sold it, wound up getting a gen loss a few years later and while it's a cool pedal for sure I don't see how you could use it in a live band setting as most of the settings result in pretty substantial volume drop due to the filtering and such.

Oooo that sucks bout the gen loss. Is it that bad? These are the two offers I have right now. Unless someone has a shallow water (which I have to listen to more demos of).

What you all think, Maude or gen loss? The gen loss seems to sell better on the used market which is kind of a plus if I’m not diggin it
Bearstripes

experienced
experienced

Postby mcatano » Wed Aug 21, 2019 2:34 pm

I have both the MM and the Gen Loss, and have previously owned a SW. I think the MM is the most interesting and useful of the lot, but I don't get the sense it's going to do the thing you want it to do (ie, replace a lo fi junky). The SW is *very* dark sounding and I found it really hard to make it work on anything, guitar-wise. YMMV of course. The gen loss is a cool pedal and a nice texture to have around, but I rarely find myself pulling it out of the drawer for much unless I'm just making weird drone loops and spacing out. Again, I don't know anything about your individual use case so who knows, it might be perfect for you. The MM is a weird, creepy pedal and will put your pony on the fast path to calexico-ville.
mcatano

committed
committed

Postby Bearstripes » Wed Aug 21, 2019 2:51 pm

So Wgat I want us a lofi chirus/vibrato and I do love the junky but I wish I could dial out the comp sometimes. That’s why I am so interested in the Maude cause I do like the comp and by bringing down the mix I can have just the chorus compressed which would totally work for me.

The gen loss sounds awesome and I feel like it would be a great chorus but if it’s gonna get lost in the mix then it would be pointless, especially for the price
Bearstripes

experienced
experienced

PreviousNext

Return to General Gear