· Gen · Guit · · Bldrs · B/S/T ·

Switch to full style
General Gear Discussion - effects, synths, etc.
Post a reply

Electro-Harmonix Chillswitch alternatives

Tue Jul 16, 2019 10:15 pm

Hey guys, I've got a Chillswitch that I dig, except that it's buffered bypass, which is a bummer for my purposes. I have different fuzzes connected to the "send" and "return" loops of the pedal. I use the Chillswitch for momentary switching-to get momentary bursts of fuzz, or momentary bursts of "clean" tone, depending on the Chillswitch setting. The only problem is the buffered bypass which interferes with the sound quality of some of the finicky fuzzes. I tried putting the Chillswitch in a true bypass looper pedal, but it didn't solve the problem-The fuzzes are still within the loop ("Send" and "Return" ) of the Chillswitch, which is within the loop ("Send" and "Return") of the true bypass looper pedal. So, basically, the fuzzes are within the true bypass looper, and not separated, so the buffered bypass of the Chillswitch is still messing with the fuzz.

So, basically what I want is a Chillswitch that's true bypass, or an alternative true bypass pedal that serves the same function. Before I got the Chillswitch, I tried out a Saturnworks "True Bypass Looper with Latching and Momentary Switches":

https://saturnworkspedals.com/product/t ... ss-looper/

^
"The latching + momentary looper features both a latching and a momentary switch, so you can engage the true bypass loop by either clicking it on/off with the latching switch, or by holding down the momentary switch. It should be obvious, but if the loop is already turned on with the latching switch, you can’t turn it on again with the momentary switch. Trying to do so will likely create feedback — undesirable, unless feedback is your thing."

It was cool, but the downside is you can only use the momentary switch to engage the effect (fuzz), and not the other way around-using the momentary switch to cut out the fuzz.

I got the Chillswitch, because it offers both options, but the buffered bypass is an issue... I've tried looking for alternatives, and I can't find anything out there. Does anyone here know of a pedal that will do what I want (Chillswitch, but true bypass)? That, or, any suggestions on someone who could mod an Electro-Harmonix Chillswitch to be true bypass?

Thanks, guys!

Re: Electro-Harmonix Chillswitch alternatives

Thu Jul 18, 2019 12:31 pm

Try running a boost or buffer with a variable impedance circuit in line w/ your fuzz in the loop of the Chillswitch.

Or put the fuzz in a passive TB loop with something like a Dwarfcraft memento to emulate some of the weirdo random stuttering that the Chill can do?

Sat Jul 20, 2019 10:17 pm

doommeow wrote:Try running a boost or buffer with a variable impedance circuit in line w/ your fuzz in the loop of the Chillswitch.

Or put the fuzz in a passive TB loop with something like a Dwarfcraft memento to emulate some of the weirdo random stuttering that the Chill can do?

Thanks for the suggestions. This is probably a long shot, but I was looking at the Saturnworks splitter pedals with two inputs ("2:4 splitters"):

https://saturnworkspedals.com/product/splitter/

...and I was wondering if I could maybe use one of those to trick the fuzz sound not to be altered by the Chillswitch's buffered bypass... The scenario I brainstormed was if I set up the pedals like this:

-Chillswitch in the loop of a true bypass looper
-"Send" of Chillswitch connected to Input ONE of Saturnworks 2:4 splitter
-output ONE of splitter connected to "return" of Chillswitch
-outut TWO of splitter connected to fuzz
-output of fuzz connected to input TWO of splitter
-then I guess I just don't use the other two outputs of the splitter
-output of Chillswitch back to "return" of true bypass looper
-output of true bypass looper to amp or whatever

^This way I would have the fuzz in the loop of the Chillswitch, but not directly connected back to the "send" and "return" outputs of the Chillswitch... I feel like this most likely wouldn't accomplish anything, and the buffered bypass of the Chillswitch will still alter the fuzz tone... But it seems like an interesting idea. Any idea if that could work?

Sun Jul 21, 2019 2:54 am

If you are DIY inclined and you haven't already checked it out, you could build a pickup simulator to go between the send of the Chillswitch and input of your fuzz.

Details for it are all here http://www.muzique.com/lab/pickups.htm

As the name of it suggests, it basically tricks the fuzz into thinking its immediately downstream of guitar pickup . Its an inexpensive project thats relatively straight forward and totally passive. Works a treat for fuzz's and older pedal designs that don't like to be downstream of buffers.

Sun Jul 21, 2019 11:44 pm

SouthIslandSplit wrote:If you are DIY inclined and you haven't already checked it out, you could build a pickup simulator to go between the send of the Chillswitch and input of your fuzz.

Details for it are all here http://www.muzique.com/lab/pickups.htm

As the name of it suggests, it basically tricks the fuzz into thinking its immediately downstream of guitar pickup . Its an inexpensive project thats relatively straight forward and totally passive. Works a treat for fuzz's and older pedal designs that don't like to be downstream of buffers.

Awesome, thanks for the tip. Searching pickup simulator pedals, I found this.

http://siegmundguitars.com/PupEmu.html

It looks like this pedal is basically what you’re describing? I don’t have DIY experience, so I’m looking first to see what’s already out there to buy, ha

Mon Jul 22, 2019 2:48 am

Cool yeah I expect either one of those Pup Emu pedals should work fine. I wouldn't be surprised if the guts of both of those pedals consist of the circuit from the AMZFX website but with a rotary switch instead of a pot to set the impedance.

If you ever wanted to try DIY, this is a perfect project for you! :thumb: One of my first DIY builds was one of these using a transformer that I harvested from a bread maker of all places.... Works just fine though. Ha
Post a reply