Katanas (Boss)

Moderator: Ghost Hip

Katanas (Boss)

Postby Errant Tiger » Sun Jul 14, 2019 1:08 pm

So I’ve been running the 50w Katana in stereo alongside my Gemini I and it’s pretty damn good, i.e., neutral and clear. All my FX except verb come from pedals, and for the most part the clean channel handles everything I throw at it (fuzz can be a little iffy but not a dealbreaker). Volume-wise, the two amps seem to work pretty well together, and no place I’m likely to play my solo set is likely to require anything louder.

However, I find I’m never quite satisfied (as my several previous posts about amps will demonstrate). I like the contrast between the depth of the Ampeg and the crispness of the Boss, and I usually spend my time worrying about what kind of Fender I can afford to complement the Ampeg, but I wonder what it might be like to upgrade to the 100w (1x12) or the Artist. Particularly as my wife - who has all sorts of sound/noise issues - really likes the Katana, both for listening and playing.

Any Katana users have any thoughts about the other models?
Errant Tiger

experienced
experienced

Re: Katanas (Boss)

Postby Gone Fission » Sun Jul 14, 2019 1:24 pm

Anecdotally, I’ve seen Katana fans disappointed by the Artist version, but probably a different use case than yours, so dunno.
D.o.S. wrote:Broadly speaking, if we at ILF are dropping 300 bucks on a pedal it probably sounds like an SNES holocaust.
friendship wrote:death to false bleep-blop
UglyCasanova wrote:brb gonna slap my dick on my stomp boxes
Gone Fission

IAMILFFAMOUS
IAMILFFAMOUS

Postby Errant Tiger » Sun Jul 14, 2019 1:27 pm

Gone Fission wrote:Anecdotally, I’ve seen Katana fans disappointed by the Artist version, but probably a different use case than yours, so dunno.

I’ve read that the differences between the 100w and the Artist aren’t significant enough to justify the latter over the former. But then I’ve read that they are, so...

I should also say that I’m planning to give them both a whirl next weekend, which of course will be helpful. But this is helpful to keep me obsessing until then!
Errant Tiger

experienced
experienced

Postby Gone Fission » Sun Jul 14, 2019 2:46 pm

BTW, check this if you haven’t: https://www.vguitarforums.com/smf/index ... ic=20609.0
Not a Katana user, so the deepest thing I know is that there are more sounds in the Katana than the front panel will give you.
D.o.S. wrote:Broadly speaking, if we at ILF are dropping 300 bucks on a pedal it probably sounds like an SNES holocaust.
friendship wrote:death to false bleep-blop
UglyCasanova wrote:brb gonna slap my dick on my stomp boxes
Gone Fission

IAMILFFAMOUS
IAMILFFAMOUS

Postby Paul_C » Sun Jul 14, 2019 2:55 pm

I've got a 50w Katana too (and also use it on the clean channel, with just a hint of reverb), but only use it at home - I do know one or two people who gig regularly who moved up to the 100w and are very happy with the result, and one who uses two 50w which he finds equally pleasing.

Maybe three 50w Katanas is the answer ?

;)
Paul_C

FAMOUS
FAMOUS

Postby UglyCasanova » Sun Jul 14, 2019 3:01 pm

I've only got one 50w and I don't see myself needing a bigger version. I tried the 100w, which is just more of the same stuff, so I'm guessing upgrading to that is a safe bet.
UglyCasanova

IAMILFFAMOUS
IAMILFFAMOUS

Postby rfurtkamp » Sun Jul 14, 2019 6:03 pm

Gone Fission wrote:BTW, check this if you haven’t: https://www.vguitarforums.com/smf/index ... ic=20609.0
Not a Katana user, so the deepest thing I know is that there are more sounds in the Katana than the front panel will give you.

Not one myself, but I've used a GT-100 for ages - and the Katana is basically a one-chain GT-100 with a few less effects at a time. Same algos though - can readily translate patches from the Katana to the GT-100 and vice-versa providing the former doesn't need more than it provides versus the GT-100 (and most don't).
==
My pedalboard costs approximately 191 Metal Zones.

rfurtkamp

IAMILFFAMOUS
IAMILFFAMOUS

Postby Errant Tiger » Sat Jul 20, 2019 6:01 pm

Finally did a little bit of testing today. To my ears, the 100w combo sounds just like my 50w, only louder (and maybe a little stronger in the bass); the Artist sounds fantastic. Deeper. (I also reconfirmed how much I dislike anything JC). It is almost certain that there's no way I'm buying another amp this year, so I am filing the Artist alongside the HRD as The Amps I'll Choose Between When The Time Comes.

Thanks

As an aside, is it a Thing that amps in guitar shops are universally noisy? It can't be EVERY amp in EVERY local shop...
Errant Tiger

experienced
experienced

Postby Inconuucl » Sun Jul 21, 2019 2:44 pm

Errant Tiger wrote:Finally did a little bit of testing today. To my ears, the 100w combo sounds just like my 50w, only louder (and maybe a little stronger in the bass); the Artist sounds fantastic. Deeper. (I also reconfirmed how much I dislike anything JC). It is almost certain that there's no way I'm buying another amp this year, so I am filing the Artist alongside the HRD as The Amps I'll Choose Between When The Time Comes.

Thanks

As an aside, is it a Thing that amps in guitar shops are universally noisy? It can't be EVERY amp in EVERY local shop...

There's two 100w models, one with 2 speakers and the single speaker mod. IMHO the 2 speaker 100w is way better value than the artist.
Le Ciel Inconnu (I was a whale once.)
NSFW: show
Chankgeez wrote:We should have a game show à la Name That Tune

Inconuucl: I can shoegaze that tune with 5 pedals.
other contestant: I can shoegaze that tune with 4 pedals.
Inconuucl: I can shoegaze that tune with 3 pedals.
other contestant: OK, shoegaze that tune!
Inconuucl: :!!!:
Inconuucl

Supporter
Supporter

Postby Errant Tiger » Sun Jul 21, 2019 3:02 pm

Inconuucl wrote:
Errant Tiger wrote:Finally did a little bit of testing today. To my ears, the 100w combo sounds just like my 50w, only louder (and maybe a little stronger in the bass); the Artist sounds fantastic. Deeper. (I also reconfirmed how much I dislike anything JC). It is almost certain that there's no way I'm buying another amp this year, so I am filing the Artist alongside the HRD as The Amps I'll Choose Between When The Time Comes.

Thanks

There's two 100w models, one with 2 speakers and the single speaker mod. IMHO the 2 speaker 100w is way better value than the artist.

I’m thinking the 2x13 might be a bit much for me, and I really liked the speaker on the Artist. But tell me more...
Errant Tiger

experienced
experienced

Postby Inconuucl » Sun Jul 21, 2019 4:47 pm

Errant Tiger wrote:
Inconuucl wrote:

Thanks

I’m thinking the 2x13 might be a bit much for me, and I really liked the speaker on the Artist. But tell me more...

The wattage switch makes it so you can set the volume you want easily which is what assuaged any concern I had with the volume difference between the two models. But even taking volume into account there's a huge different in the amount of headroom between the 112 and the 212. This is why I prefer the 212, as it makes it a much better pedal platform. Save for the reverb I'm not really interested in any of the effect add-ons the Katana has. :idk:

Inconuucl

Supporter
Supporter

Postby Errant Tiger » Tue Jul 23, 2019 11:38 am

I wonder if anyone stumbling across this has much experience with the Katana head. It was suggested to me in another forum and, as a lifelong combo guy, is kind of staggering to contemplate...
Errant Tiger

experienced
experienced

Postby Inconuucl » Tue Jul 23, 2019 11:46 am

Errant Tiger wrote:I wonder if anyone stumbling across this has much experience with the Katana head. It was suggested to me in another forum and, as a lifelong combo guy, is kind of staggering to contemplate...

From what I read people seem to like it. I've seen more than one person use it live. Also it having a tiny speaker for practice use is brilliant.

Inconuucl

Supporter
Supporter

Postby MrNovember » Thu Jul 25, 2019 10:54 am

I just noticed there's a few of the 50s available near me. I had not heard of them before. Would one be worth $250CAD? I'd probably use it in stereo with my Excelsior; I've wanted to make my setup stereo for awhile now.
MrNovember

Modulae of BILF
Modulae of BILF

Postby Errant Tiger » Thu Jul 25, 2019 1:33 pm

MrNovember wrote:I just noticed there's a few of the 50s available near me. I had not heard of them before. Would one be worth $250CAD? I'd probably use it in stereo with my Excelsior; I've wanted to make my setup stereo for awhile now.

Guitar Center in the US has them new for $230 USD; used, for around $180 USD. That comes out to like $300/$235, right?
Errant Tiger

experienced
experienced

Next

Return to General Gear