Industrialectric RM-1N vs Caroline Meteore

Moderator: Ghost Hip

Industrialectric RM-1N vs Caroline Meteore

Postby Blood_mountain » Sun Jul 07, 2019 9:07 pm

Hi Pals,

Seems like these two pedals cop some of the same sounds, with the RM-1N being a much more tweakable, noisier, bigger potentially crazier pedal. I love the Meteore, but am considering selling it to get an RM-1N. There are two pretty petty things about the Meteore that I'm not super duper fond of. 1) The pre-delay bugs me. 2) no real tails on the havoc oscillation, it just kind of drops off. I'd love it if it could gradually fade out instead.

I've also been told that it's difficult to get a "normal" reverb from the RM-1N, that even with the pre and post gains zeroed it's still dirty. This is less of a concern for me as my main reverb is an Empress, so I've got clean "normal" reverbs covered.

Can anyone who has had both pedals provide a comparison of the two?

Thanks!
Blood_mountain

FAMOUS
FAMOUS

Re: Industrialectric RM-1N vs Caroline Meteore

Postby neonblack » Mon Jul 08, 2019 2:12 am

I've had both. RM-1N for a good chunk of time and Meteore pretty briefly. The RM is definitely always pretty dirty. In order to get it to unity you have to turn up the gain a bit. The Meteore always has some clean signal. The dry is clean while the reverb is dirty. This is cooler in theory for me than in practice. I typically want it all clean or all dirty.

Tonally, the RM has way more variation and generally just sounds more interesting to me. I prefer gnarly broken kinds of sounds though so you might not feel the same way.
neonblack

IAMILFFAMOUS
IAMILFFAMOUS

Postby Blood_mountain » Mon Jul 08, 2019 3:21 am

neonblack wrote:I've had both. RM-1N for a good chunk of time and Meteore pretty briefly. The RM is definitely always pretty dirty. In order to get it to unity you have to turn up the gain a bit. The Meteore always has some clean signal. The dry is clean while the reverb is dirty. This is cooler in theory for me than in practice. I typically want it all clean or all dirty.

Tonally, the RM has way more variation and generally just sounds more interesting to me. I prefer gnarly broken kinds of sounds though so you might not feel the same way.

I'm not opposed to gnarly broken sounds, but tend towards the more ambient, atmospheric and "pretty" for lack of a better term. It's the pre-delay on the Meteore that bugs me, and it's a pretty minor bug.
Blood_mountain

FAMOUS
FAMOUS

Postby UglyCasanova » Mon Jul 08, 2019 5:26 am

6:25 in this video is about as clean as it gets. Camera audio only, sorry. :lol:

UglyCasanova

IAMILFFAMOUS
IAMILFFAMOUS

Postby Blood_mountain » Mon Jul 08, 2019 12:25 pm

UglyCasanova wrote:6:25 in this video is about as clean as it gets. Camera audio only, sorry. :lol:

Yeah, i’ve watched your demo before, and I love the sounds. I’ll keep my eye out and if the opportunity comes up I may buy one. Probably the only way to get a full understanding of if it’s for me or not would be to actually spend some time playing it. I’m looking at the SolidGoldFX countercurrent as well; I think it seems like a Meteore with a bit more added control.
Blood_mountain

FAMOUS
FAMOUS

Postby popvulture » Mon Jul 08, 2019 1:24 pm

I love the RM1N but would stay away from it if you're looking for pretty.

One that could be an option, and probably something you could get for fairly cheap used, is an EQD Dispatch Master. I love mine—there's not a lot of tweakability, but it does big/pretty/atmospheric VERY well without adding any kind of dumb shimmer. Of course that last bit of disdain for over sparkliness just based on personal opinion, but all in all I'd say the DM does a great job of pretty without being fussy.
neonblack wrote:They say tone is in the hooks

D.o.S. wrote:I'm pretty sure moderation leads to Mustang Sally.

coldbrightsunlight wrote:Yes I am a soppy pop person at heart I think with noises round the edge

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JphJfwsUbT4
popvulture

IAMILFFAMOUS
IAMILFFAMOUS

Postby Blood_mountain » Mon Jul 08, 2019 1:30 pm

popvulture wrote:I love the RM1N but would stay away from it if you're looking for pretty.

One that could be an option, and probably something you could get for fairly cheap used, is an EQD Dispatch Master. I love mine—there's not a lot of tweakability, but it does big/pretty/atmospheric VERY well without adding any kind of dumb shimmer. Of course that last bit of disdain for over sparkliness just based on personal opinion, but all in all I'd say the DM does a great job of pretty without being fussy.

I don’t know if pretty is the right word, which is why I put it in quotations. A lot of what I’ve heard from RM-1N demos is very beautiful to me. I think sometimes when you can hear that something is capable of or just on the verge of being terrifying, that can be a really beautiful thing.
Blood_mountain

FAMOUS
FAMOUS

Postby UglyCasanova » Mon Jul 08, 2019 1:40 pm

You might like this too, as it's like a tamer RM-1N

http://www.electronicaudioexperiments.com/beholder
UglyCasanova

IAMILFFAMOUS
IAMILFFAMOUS

Postby popvulture » Mon Jul 08, 2019 2:19 pm

Would p much say the same thing about the DBA Reverberation Machine.

coldbrightsunlight wrote:Yes I am a soppy pop person at heart I think with noises round the edge

popvulture

IAMILFFAMOUS
IAMILFFAMOUS

Postby whoismarykelly » Mon Jul 08, 2019 2:24 pm

Isn't the RM1N also based on the Belton bricks? If so its going to have the exact same predelay as the Meteore because that's built into the brick and not something the builder can change. The PT2399s in a Belton brick just have a minimum delay time and you'll always have that as the lower limit for reflections. The DBA Reverberation Machine will also have the same issue.

Between the 3 I think the Caroline is by far the most flexible despite having fewer knobs. It makes a wider range of sounds unless you're primarily looking for truly extreme stuff.
whoismarykelly

FAMOUS
FAMOUS

Postby Blood_mountain » Mon Jul 08, 2019 2:41 pm

UglyCasanova wrote:You might like this too, as it's like a tamer RM-1N

http://www.electronicaudioexperiments.com/beholder

I have liked what I’ve heard of this pedal, but for my music/use I feel like the fuzz might be too much. Sounds rad tho. I’ll check out additional demos to see if it can be dialed down.
Blood_mountain

FAMOUS
FAMOUS

Postby popvulture » Mon Jul 08, 2019 4:04 pm

It can't really be dialed down much — that's why I sold mine. It's a cool pedal but I felt it was a bit 1-D.

popvulture

IAMILFFAMOUS
IAMILFFAMOUS

Postby Blood_mountain » Mon Jul 08, 2019 5:01 pm

popvulture wrote:I love the RM1N but would stay away from it if you're looking for pretty.

I do have an avalanche run but am actually selling it because I have the empress echosystem and reverb pedals and feel like I can do 99% of what the avalanche run is capable of with them. The one sound that I love that I haven’t got from the empress reverb is that dirty, overdrive reverb a la Meteore. The RM-1N seems to have a similar sound, but can go way more extreme. I’m maybe better off exploring other less expensive more accessible options.
Last edited by Blood_mountain on Mon Jul 08, 2019 7:04 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Blood_mountain

FAMOUS
FAMOUS

Postby cantremember » Mon Jul 08, 2019 5:43 pm

I have the RM and had the EAE beholder at one point but got rid of it because it didn't sound as good as the RM in my opinion. The fuzz on the beholder seemed a little harder to dial in compared to the RM and the oscillation footswitch on the beholder was very touchy in the sense that it would go from 1 to 100 very fast. I haven't had the chance to try out the meteore though so I can't really speak on that in comparison to the RM or beholder but I will say that the RM is probably my favorite reverb pedal that I have had.
cantremember

Lagom Gigantic Lurker of BILF
Lagom Gigantic Lurker of BILF

Postby breakdown » Mon Jul 08, 2019 7:52 pm

Blood_mountain wrote:

I do have an avalanche run but am actually selling it because I have the empress echosystem and reverb pedals and feel like I can do 99% of what the avalanche run is capable of with them. The one sound that I love that I haven’t got from the empress reverb is that dirty, overdrive reverb a la Meteore. The RM-1N seems to have a similar sound, but can go way more extreme. I’m maybe better off exploring other less expensive more accessible options.

Maybe a cheap dirt pedal after your empress? :idk:
breakdown

involved
involved

Next

Return to General Gear