Really insanely bright LED's

Moderator: Ghost Hip

Re: Really insanely bright LED's

Postby Jwar » Mon Apr 15, 2019 9:28 am

LED seem to be inherently flawed IMO in their placement. For me the LED is for two things, being able to see the fucking controls under piss poor lighting and indicating that the pedal is on. The former LED placement fails at almost always. I wish that someone would make them with the LED's pointed at the controls. To me, that just makes sense.

Also what Bart said.
"I do not have the ability to think rationally 90% of the time and I also change my mind at the drop of a hat".

-JWAR :)
Jwar

Cosmic of BILF
Cosmic of BILF

Postby Ghost Hip » Mon Apr 15, 2019 9:38 am

I hate bright leds. I guess they make sense for outdoor applications but I haven’t had an issue not knowing if a pedal is on or not. Someone on here once said if you cannot tell if your effect is on or off are you really using it as an effect? I understand that doesnt apply to all pedals but it rings true for my set ups.
Youtube Channel?

mr. sound boy king wrote:Organic apples are not normal, they are special, like analog, whereas normal apples, like digital, taste sterile and lack warmth.

friendship wrote:y u h8 swoosh woosh
Ghost Hip

Postby adamajah » Mon Apr 15, 2019 11:18 am

Fine grit sandpaper works great if you just want to diffuse it a bit
adamajah

experienced
experienced

Postby cloudscapes » Mon Apr 15, 2019 11:33 am

I don't like em. Recently I've been using diffuse leds, and/or with higher than usual current limiting (8-10k).

Maybe it comes from playing shows who's stage/floor/table has less than ideal lighting. And for being a knob-tweaker, not a set-and-forget. I'm always staring at my gear when I play, and if the room is especially dark, it feels like looking into a bunch of laser pointers. No thanks.
cloudscapes

FAMOUS
FAMOUS

Postby D-Rainger » Tue Apr 16, 2019 1:35 pm

I find that when picking LEDs you have to get the right kind for the job...

The rule is;
If you want to shine light onto a control or an area - to illuminate it - use clear, they project really well.
If you're going to be looking at the LED itself, use diffused - easy to look at and looks very cool and 'dense' colour.
D-Rainger

experienced
experienced

Postby cbm » Tue Apr 16, 2019 9:54 pm

Bartimaeus wrote:The problem really isn't the LEDs themselves. It's that builders don't scale their resistor values to match. Waterclear LEDs generate a lot more light with the same amount of current, which should be a bonus since you can get better battery life with the same brightness by using higher resistor value. But instead builders just using the 4.7k value standard for regular LEDs...

The worst offender for me is the HEQ-1 fuzz, which is an incredible fuzz, but was just painfully bright. I swapped out the current limiting resistors, which made it much more comfortable to use.
cbm

committed
committed

Postby BetterOffShred » Tue Apr 16, 2019 11:58 pm

Haha. I love the shit out of it, but yeah it's a real retina roaster
BetterOffShred

IAMILFFAMOUS
IAMILFFAMOUS

Postby Jwar » Wed Apr 17, 2019 11:45 am

cbm wrote:
Bartimaeus wrote:The problem really isn't the LEDs themselves. It's that builders don't scale their resistor values to match. Waterclear LEDs generate a lot more light with the same amount of current, which should be a bonus since you can get better battery life with the same brightness by using higher resistor value. But instead builders just using the 4.7k value standard for regular LEDs...

The worst offender for me is the HEQ-1 fuzz, which is an incredible fuzz, but was just painfully bright. I swapped out the current limiting resistors, which made it much more comfortable to use.

No the worst offender is EQD with those fucking white LED's. That shit is horrible even when it's bright out! LOL!!
"I do not have the ability to think rationally 90% of the time and I also change my mind at the drop of a hat".

-JWAR :)
Jwar

Cosmic of BILF
Cosmic of BILF

Postby greyscales » Wed Apr 17, 2019 6:49 pm

Yeah, my Avalanche Run is so obnoxious with the ultra bright white tap tempo LED.

It’s like a lighthouse when I leave it plugged in at night. Just signaling it’s existence for the entire block to see. I eventually just put a couple pieces of tape over it, but even now it is still too bright.
greyscales

IAMILF
IAMILF

Previous

Return to General Gear