Let's see your KEYS/SYNTHS!

Moderator: Ghost Hip

Re: Let's see your KEYS/SYNTHS!

Postby Pepe » Sat Oct 12, 2019 6:48 pm

MrNovember wrote:
Pepe wrote:Hey, that's a KORG SD-200 Signal Delay on the old monitor on the third picture, right? I have one, too, but what is it doing there?

It is! It needs a little work; some scratchy pots and missing most of the screws in the body for some reason. Just haven't gotten around to dealing with it yet. I got it in a trade and the previous owner didn't bother letting me know these facts.

The insides are very clean and accessible, so just open the chassis and give the potentiometers a good dose of tuner spray. Screws can be a bit tricky, since these are the typical mid-'80s Japanese screws. I don't know if these are still a sort of standard in Japan.

By the way, the SD-200 is a Maxon circuit. You can clearly see that, because the boards don't have the typical KLM-xxx labelling that KORG uses since the late '70s. It sounds good, especially when it is properly calibrated. A friend in England did it for me after he repaired my unit. It sounds very mellow, but in a good way.
Pepe at YouTube and Instagram
Pepe

IAMILF
IAMILF

Postby 01010111 » Sat Oct 12, 2019 10:50 pm

I’m pretty happy with this setup. The rule is supposed to be whatever fits in the case or on the pedalboard stays, but then there’s my recorder. And the Zoia/boneshaker are too handy to get rid of. The replicator jr’s delay character’s too much fun when to get rid of. So, it’s really more of a soft rule than anything else...
Attachments
5E966421-D16F-4236-BE6F-9FD333C08300.jpeg

IAMILFFAMOUS
IAMILFFAMOUS

Postby MrNovember » Sat Oct 12, 2019 11:08 pm

Pepe wrote:
MrNovember wrote:
Pepe wrote:Hey, that's a KORG SD-200 Signal Delay on the old monitor on the third picture, right? I have one, too, but what is it doing there?

It is! It needs a little work; some scratchy pots and missing most of the screws in the body for some reason. Just haven't gotten around to dealing with it yet. I got it in a trade and the previous owner didn't bother letting me know these facts.

The insides are very clean and accessible, so just open the chassis and give the potentiometers a good dose of tuner spray. Screws can be a bit tricky, since these are the typical mid-'80s Japanese screws. I don't know if these are still a sort of standard in Japan.

By the way, the SD-200 is a Maxon circuit. You can clearly see that, because the boards don't have the typical KLM-xxx labelling that KORG uses since the late '70s. It sounds good, especially when it is properly calibrated. A friend in England did it for me after he repaired my unit. It sounds very mellow, but in a good way.

Good to know, I'll have to dig into it soon. I am always down for some more delay! I'll probably work it into my DX7 setup along with a Westwood and the Boss DE200
MrNovember

Modulae of BILF
Modulae of BILF

Postby Faldoe » Sun Oct 13, 2019 12:11 pm

Have no desk. Working on building one.

Faldoe

Postby JonnyAngle » Mon Oct 14, 2019 5:34 pm

MrNovember wrote:Reorganized everything after picking up my Matriarch. Super happy with the new setup.

let's talk about that hand holding your patch cables!
JonnyAngle

IAMILFFAMOUS
IAMILFFAMOUS

Postby MrNovember » Mon Oct 14, 2019 9:28 pm

A few years ago someone (Alessandro Cortini, I think) posted something similar. I showed my fiancee and she got me one of these for Christmas that year:
https://www.areaware.com/products/reali ... 1298914812
MrNovember

Modulae of BILF
Modulae of BILF

Postby cantremember » Tue Oct 15, 2019 10:21 am

01010111 wrote:I’m pretty happy with this setup. The rule is supposed to be whatever fits in the case or on the pedalboard stays, but then there’s my recorder. And the Zoia/boneshaker are too handy to get rid of. The replicator jr’s delay character’s too much fun when to get rid of. So, it’s really more of a soft rule than anything else...

How do you like the prophet? Looks like the 6?
cantremember

Lagom Gigantic Lurker of BILF
Lagom Gigantic Lurker of BILF

Postby 01010111 » Wed Oct 16, 2019 4:07 am

cantremember wrote:
01010111 wrote:I’m pretty happy with this setup. The rule is supposed to be whatever fits in the case or on the pedalboard stays, but then there’s my recorder. And the Zoia/boneshaker are too handy to get rid of. The replicator jr’s delay character’s too much fun when to get rid of. So, it’s really more of a soft rule than anything else...

How do you like the prophet? Looks like the 6?

It is the Prophet 6! I like it, but it’s way too expensive for what it does. If it was $1200 new, that’d be a much more reasonable price. The filters are some of the nicest I’ve heard and the built in effects are pretty nice. It has a bunch of weird quirks, thoough. They’re not enormous or even dealbreakers for me, they’re just mildly frustrating when I run into them. Like, the LFO won’t modulate OSC 2’s pitch while OSC 2 is modulating OSC 1’s pitch. It’s not enormously problematic, but it’s a weirdly artificial barrier.

Outside of some little issues like that, it’s really intuitive to use and it’s really easy to get great sounds. That said, if I had to make the decision again, I would have gotten either a Rev2 or a Minilogue XD module. It doesn’t sound good enough to be this expensive.

IAMILFFAMOUS
IAMILFFAMOUS

Postby $harkToootth » Wed Oct 16, 2019 7:49 am

I recently watched a video on a similar DSI synth and thought of you. I heard the price and thought... poor 01010111.
tfw you find your whale
tfw you dead but you beckons

"SWIPE LEFT ASSHOLE!" -retinal orbita
"Whatever ASSHOLE here’s my pedal that makes humpback whale noises and also it has a built in sequencer so stick it in your craw! -retinal orbita
"Patty Mullen takes me from a ball peen to a sledge" -The Great Velvet Hammer
"...at this exact moment Divine has learned of your jealous scheme from the local town gossip. She also has your address, ASS HOLE!" -Narrator (Mr. J) PINK FLAMINGOS
1 bird per post please
$harkToootth

IAMILFFAMOUS
IAMILFFAMOUS

Postby 01010111 » Wed Oct 16, 2019 11:02 pm

It’s a great synth. But given it’s feature set and how much it costs, it should have more flexibility, less hand holding, and be as close to a “perfect” synth as possible. The filter shouldn’t be tuned to semitones, I should be able to run delay into reverb or reverb into reverb, OSC1 should be used for modulation as well as OSC2, it should have polyphonic aftertouch, the envelopes should have retriggering, the lfo should be playable as a third oscillator (or at least have key tracking for speed), it should have a proper modulation matrix instead of a generic “cross mod” (which is like have a one slot mod matrix that’s routed to/from all your sources and destinations), etc etc...

None of these are dealbreakers, but the lack of alllll of these things makes this synth very underwhelming. If it was a $1k synth it’d be amazing, but it’s stupidly expensive to lack all the features it lacks and have such poor implementation overall.

IAMILFFAMOUS
IAMILFFAMOUS

Postby eatyourguitar » Sun Dec 15, 2019 3:59 pm

you are not going to get poly aftertouch for $1000. every $300 synth that comes out people bitch about no poly aftertouch. the CS80 has poly after touch. $3000 midi controllers have poly after touch. this was never a standard feature on synths ever. it was a weird feature that put synth companies out of business in the 70's when they tried to make money selling poly aftertouch keyboards.
WWW.EATYOURGUITAR.COM <---- MY DIY STUFF
eatyourguitar

IAMILFFAMOUS
IAMILFFAMOUS

Postby 01010111 » Sun Dec 15, 2019 10:24 pm

The Hydrasynth ASM has poly aftertouch and it’s $1300. If the Prophet6 had half of the other little features it’s missing it’d be an amazing synth. As it is, it’s only marginally better than the minilogue (maybe).

IAMILFFAMOUS
IAMILFFAMOUS

Postby eatyourguitar » Fri Dec 20, 2019 6:09 pm

01010111 wrote:The Hydrasynth ASM has poly aftertouch and it’s $1300.

a $300 feature. nothing is free. that is a super awesome synth BTW.
WWW.EATYOURGUITAR.COM <---- MY DIY STUFF
eatyourguitar

IAMILFFAMOUS
IAMILFFAMOUS

Postby merlatte » Fri Mar 06, 2020 12:33 pm

Hi. Long time lurker, first time poster- thought I'd finally post as I'm getting more into pedals. After going through quite a few different buy/sell cycles within different modular formats (namely Euro, Ciat-Lonbarde, Bugbrand, Serge), I'm mostly down to these five Flower Electronics pieces with a couple CBA pedals after some non-voluntary downsizing. I'm still trying to get the hang of managing all of them together- a single LBB/JH combo is already a lot to work with- but it's been fun.

flowers (1).jpg
Last edited by merlatte on Fri Mar 06, 2020 3:21 pm, edited 1 time in total.
merlatte

uncommitted
uncommitted

Postby coldbrightsunlight » Fri Mar 06, 2020 1:47 pm

I don't know what any of that is doing but it looks fun.

:thumb:
füzz lover. Friend. Quilter evangelist.

I make music sometimes:

https://nitrx.bandcamp.com/

https://mediocrisy.bandcamp.com/

https://fleshcouch.bandcamp.com
coldbrightsunlight

Supporter
Supporter

PreviousNext

Return to General Gear