Let's see your KEYS/SYNTHS!

Moderator: Ghost Hip

Re: Let's see your KEYS/SYNTHS!

Postby MrNovember » Wed Mar 04, 2015 10:01 pm

nevada wrote:
MrNovember wrote:Things are getting real:

How are you liking Ripples?

I have a weird love/hate relationship with it
It's an incredibly smooth and clean filter. Their description of a liquid filter seems to really fit even though I don't entirely know what that means
Definitely very warm. The oscillation is easy to control and great at tracking. Also I do really like the multiple outputs
Really this sounds all well and good but I just never seem to reach for it in a patch. I tend to patch the MMG almost every time before I even consider the Ripples
I tend to end up using it in weird places though, like in feedback loops
So love/hate. I definitely can't see myself ever getting rid of it though. I think I need to spend a little more time experimenting with it
MrNovember

Modulae of BILF
Modulae of BILF

Postby nevada » Wed Mar 04, 2015 10:05 pm

Same here...

MMG > Ripples in terms of what is used first. My Ripples oscillates like a mother at 12 o'clock, usually. Not sure if that's normal, but it can be unwieldy. The BPF feels pretty sick for bell sounds, I think.
Good deals with PumpkinPieces, hazelwould, PetZounds, Steelyeye, DannDubbleEwe (x3), skullservant (x3), ChetMagongalo, leaves turn, Helter, EvilCatBucky, OddKnowledge, vanderholm, Phengren Oswald, Uncle Grandfather, decomposing, MrNovember, multi_s (x2), smallsoundbigsound (x2), Dandolin, Strangle Tales who is a good dude
nevada

experienced
experienced

Postby MrNovember » Wed Mar 04, 2015 11:16 pm

It seems to mostly be up to the input but mine tends to self-oscillate around 1 o'clock or so. It doesn't usually get too unwieldy though. I find it much more controllable than the MMG
MrNovember

Modulae of BILF
Modulae of BILF

Postby BoatRich » Fri Mar 06, 2015 7:40 pm

Have you guys seen the Korg SQ-1 yet? It's a 1x16 or 2x8 step analog sequencer in the same form factor as the volcas but made of metal. If amazon is too be believed it's only like $100
http://www.amazon.com/Korg-SQ-1-Step-Se ... B00SGY5CIW
BoatRich

IAMILF
IAMILF

Postby oscillateur » Sat Mar 07, 2015 12:18 am

I just received a Music Thing Radio Music module and this thing is awesome, should enable me to do more complex sounding things with the modular.

I've got a few other modules that don't fit in the case anymore, but the next case I'll get will be quite expensive so it'll have to wait... I'm only planning on putting a Mutable Instruments Clouds in there probably sometime next month (swapping a few modules), but after that it should stay as it is for some time. Because much money is being spent on real-life things these days (good ones, not complaining) so it's probably much better for me to focus on properly using what I have rather than accumulating stuff.

Anyway, relatively minimal live setup from this week : 3U modular, Red Panda Context, Tech21 VT Bass DI, Boss DD20, quNexus CV controller.

IMG_2074.JPG
IMG_2074.JPG (167.21 KiB) Viewed 3290 times
oscillateur

IAMILF
IAMILF

Postby kbit » Sat Mar 07, 2015 2:44 am

Love the size of the set up. Expansive but still has limitations that can be exploited.
D.o.S. wrote:I'm fucking stupid and no one should operate under any other premise.
kbit

IAMILFFAMOUS
IAMILFFAMOUS

Postby oscillateur » Sat Mar 07, 2015 5:52 am

kbithecrowing wrote:Love the size of the set up. Expansive but still has limitations that can be exploited.

Yeah, it's definitely more than enough to do what I want. I do have a few other small things that go really well with this setup (Boss DSD2 and DSD3 for delay/sampling and Koma Kommander as an expressive controller) but that's it. Well, one Volca (Keys or Sample) might get in there sometimes too but I want the whole thing to fit in a suitcase so I can't use everything at the same time. Space constraints can be a good way to focus on a limited setup.

And just listening to some recordings I did in the past year or so with the modular and a few pedals, there definitely is enough in there to get a lot of different sounds. From Boards of Canada-esque minimal melodic stuff to more noisy/industrial tracks... I do love my modular :).
oscillateur

IAMILF
IAMILF

Postby backwardsvoyager » Sat Mar 07, 2015 6:20 am

I'm guessing you have to squeeze on the subway with that setup so the size is probably really convenient huh. Looks awesome. Do you post the recordings online anywhere?
backwardsvoyager

IAMILFFAMOUS
IAMILFFAMOUS

Postby tjlong » Sun Mar 08, 2015 11:13 pm

oscillateur wrote:I just received a Music Thing Radio Music module and this thing is awesome, should enable me to do more complex sounding things with the modular.

I've got a few other modules that don't fit in the case anymore, but the next case I'll get will be quite expensive so it'll have to wait... I'm only planning on putting a Mutable Instruments Clouds in there probably sometime next month (swapping a few modules), but after that it should stay as it is for some time. Because much money is being spent on real-life things these days (good ones, not complaining) so it's probably much better for me to focus on properly using what I have rather than accumulating stuff.

Anyway, relatively minimal live setup from this week : 3U modular, Red Panda Context, Tech21 VT Bass DI, Boss DD20, quNexus CV controller.

IMG_2074.JPG

this is great. giant modulars are awesome but i really like small-ish portable modular + some pedals setups like this.

i would really like a 3U and a pedaltrain mini. perfect.

did you get these in Tokyo? FiveG and Echigoya are amazing stores :!!!:
tjlong

committed
committed

Postby oscillateur » Mon Mar 09, 2015 2:22 am

backwardsvoyager wrote:I'm guessing you have to squeeze on the subway with that setup so the size is probably really convenient huh. Looks awesome. Do you post the recordings online anywhere?

Well, I usually don't have to squeeze that much but this stuff is heavy too :)
I just like having something more focused, it's easy to get lost when you have too many things to interact. A good design rule that applies pretty well in that context is basically to try to remove things until you can't remove anything else without changing what you want to do rather than add things just to see if it gets better. Well, that was very badly paraphrased. There's a nice quote explaining this that I forgot :).

As for recordings, I do need to put more stuff on soundcloud (recorded at home or live). Most things are only living on my hard drive now...
oscillateur

IAMILF
IAMILF

Postby backwardsvoyager » Mon Mar 09, 2015 4:03 am

oscillateur wrote:I just like having something more focused, it's easy to get lost when you have too many things to interact. A good design rule that applies pretty well in that context is basically to try to remove things until you can't remove anything else without changing what you want to do rather than add things just to see if it gets better. Well, that was very badly paraphrased. There's a nice quote explaining this that I forgot :).

I get what you mean, i think the more things you can comfortably remove the easier it becomes to learn each component inside out and that's what i find most fun really, being equally well acquainted with each piece of equipment so the overall workflow is most intuitive and exciting. When there are other things thrown in the mix that are less important or necessary it seems to throw off the balance so the benefit might not be that great anyway.
backwardsvoyager

IAMILFFAMOUS
IAMILFFAMOUS

Postby D.o.S. » Tue Mar 10, 2015 9:58 am

oscillateur wrote:I just like having something more focused, it's easy to get lost when you have too many things to interact. A good design rule that applies pretty well in that context is basically to try to remove things until you can't remove anything else without changing what you want to do rather than add things just to see if it gets better. Well, that was very badly paraphrased. There's a nice quote explaining this that I forgot :).

Minimalism is maximalism?
good deals are here.
escapecraft is here.
UglyCasanova wrote: It's not the expensive programs you use, it's the way you click and drag.

Achtane wrote:
comesect2.0 wrote:Michael Jackson king tut little Richard in your butt.

IT'S THE ENNNND OF THE WORRRLD AS WE KNOW IT
D.o.S.

IAMILFFAMOUS
IAMILFFAMOUS

Postby mikeyx13 » Sun Mar 15, 2015 9:42 am

My little place to escape

mikeyx13

committed
committed

Postby D.o.S. » Sun Mar 15, 2015 5:06 pm

What is the tiny yellow box?
good deals are here.
escapecraft is here.
UglyCasanova wrote: It's not the expensive programs you use, it's the way you click and drag.

Achtane wrote:
comesect2.0 wrote:Michael Jackson king tut little Richard in your butt.

IT'S THE ENNNND OF THE WORRRLD AS WE KNOW IT
D.o.S.

IAMILFFAMOUS
IAMILFFAMOUS

Postby blakestree » Sun Mar 15, 2015 5:22 pm

Mopho
While leaves shall fall, do branches intertwine, that we remain bound.

Blake's Tree
blakestree

IAMILF
IAMILF

PreviousNext

Return to General Gear