Let's see your KEYS/SYNTHS!

Moderator: Ghost Hip

Re: Let's see your KEYS/SYNTHS!

Postby modernage » Mon Jan 05, 2015 7:22 pm

MrNovember wrote:
BoatRich wrote:
bob the r0bot wrote:What are you talking about man, 80's futurism is awesome. Plus, you get to be Anti-pop Consortium

This is so rad. What're some good resources to read about the basics of synths/modulars? I have a microbrute, a volca beats, an iPad with a controller, and a Moog Theremini, and while I understand how to play each thing and how they work together, I know next to nothing about all of the technical details.

http://www.muffwiggler.com/forum/
Although unfortunately they've been down lately

Muffwiggler is where it's at... and it's usually where I'm at :erm:
Some great technical reads can be found on the Sound on Sound site too. Anything from how to create this type of sound to what's a VCA and how does it work. Good stuff.
http://www.soundonsound.com/sos/allsynthsecrets.htm
modernage

FAMOUS
FAMOUS

Postby oscillateur » Mon Jan 05, 2015 9:25 pm

Yeah, the Synth Secrets articles are a good start. The manual for the Clavia Nord Modular series also contain good explanations of the basic principles of substractive synthesis...
oscillateur

IAMILF
IAMILF

Postby Bassus Sanguinis » Tue Jan 06, 2015 4:06 am

Yeah, Muffwiggler is the ILF forum of the synth world. Though no place in the Internet is quite as cool as this forum.
:::: Metal up Yöur Jazz! with FUZZIFERblack psychedelic doom ::::
Ugly Nora wrote:It's a sad day when Bassus Sanguinis becomes the voice of reason. :lol:
Bassus Sanguinis

Supporter
Supporter

Postby bigchiefbc » Tue Jan 06, 2015 9:50 am

trace wrote:Hell yeah! 5U modular best modular.

QFT

Someday, I'll get back to building that dotcom/5U modular
Buy my gear! viewtopic.php?f=44&t=58763

Achtane wrote:I can hit it with a Blowing Up and it'll just sound awesome instead of like capacitors farting into each others' dicks.

Achtane wrote:
last.fm wrote:Zs makes music that is variously categorized as no-wave, post-jazz, brutal-chamber, brutal-prog, and post minimalist.

srsly?

Fuck you.
bigchiefbc

IAMILFFAMOUS
IAMILFFAMOUS

Postby BoatRich » Tue Jan 06, 2015 11:28 am

Thanks for all the help! I'm reading the Sound on Sound articles now and trying to get a better grasp of stuff. I also impulse bought a volca keys last night as a cheap poly analog synth... I'm hoping to chain it with my volca beats and the microbrute and get chords following the microbrutes single notes. Unrelated, does anyone know if I can use the looper on the microbrute indepently? Like if I wanted to record myself playing the volca beats instead of setting a sequence?
BoatRich

IAMILF
IAMILF

Postby kbit » Tue Jan 06, 2015 11:37 am

I assume you mean the looper on the volca keys and not the microbrute. If that's whay you meant than no, the looper on the keys is internal.

However, the flux mode on the keys will let you record notes that aren't tethered to the 16 steps (or however many steps you activate).
D.o.S. wrote:I'm fucking stupid and no one should operate under any other premise.
kbit

IAMILFFAMOUS
IAMILFFAMOUS

Postby Wes Mantooth » Tue Jan 06, 2015 4:24 pm

Where are some good tutorials for syncing the Volcas with the Microbrute? My roommate just got the Brute and has had the Volca Bass and Keys for a while. He just noodles on them for half an hour then says he has to learn more about them first. I'm trying to push him to start making stuff. Also he leaves them in my room so I can use them whenever.
Wes Mantooth

Supporter
Supporter

Postby BoatRich » Tue Jan 06, 2015 4:38 pm

Wes Mantooth wrote:Where are some good tutorials for syncing the Volcas with the Microbrute? My roommate just got the Brute and has had the Volca Bass and Keys for a while. He just noodles on them for half an hour then says he has to learn more about them first. I'm trying to push him to start making stuff. Also he leaves them in my room so I can use them whenever.

I just watched a couple of videos this dude posted as "minimal bass jam" and figured out what he was doing from there. I'm pretty terrible at syncing all of this stuff past timing tbh though. Also, watching the tutorial vids for the volcas definitely helped me learn how to integrate those and do a lot more than the basic functions.
BoatRich

IAMILF
IAMILF

Postby MrNovember » Tue Jan 06, 2015 4:46 pm

MrNovember

Modulae of BILF
Modulae of BILF

Postby kbit » Tue Jan 06, 2015 11:58 pm

Wes Mantooth wrote:Where are some good tutorials for syncing the Volcas with the Microbrute? My roommate just got the Brute and has had the Volca Bass and Keys for a while. He just noodles on them for half an hour then says he has to learn more about them first. I'm trying to push him to start making stuff. Also he leaves them in my room so I can use them whenever.

I mean, the volcas jusy have a clock in and clock out, so you can think about how the triggering of timing could effect the different inputs of the microbrute, like lfo rate or turning the gate on and off, if those are options on the microbrute.
D.o.S. wrote:I'm fucking stupid and no one should operate under any other premise.
kbit

IAMILFFAMOUS
IAMILFFAMOUS

Postby modernage » Wed Jan 07, 2015 4:09 pm

:snax:
modernage

FAMOUS
FAMOUS

Postby BoatRich » Wed Jan 07, 2015 4:22 pm

What's the best way to record/sequence free form playing a drum machine? Or just to get weirder rhythms out of the volca beats? I have a sample pad and a ton of loops, I just really love the way this thing sounds. I was thinking of an EHX clockworks + 8 step sequencer to control that and my pedal based noise rig, but if there's a simpler/cheaper option I'd love to hear it.
BoatRich

IAMILF
IAMILF

Postby kbit » Wed Jan 07, 2015 5:20 pm

BoatRich wrote:What's the best way to record/sequence free form playing a drum machine? Or just to get weirder rhythms out of the volca beats? I have a sample pad and a ton of loops, I just really love the way this thing sounds. I was thinking of an EHX clockworks + 8 step sequencer to control that and my pedal based noise rig, but if there's a simpler/cheaper option I'd love to hear it.

I dont want to give away all my precious secrets... ;) but what makes the beats so awesome to me is the actives step function. Lots of cool shit to do with that.

Also if you didnt know, you can synch the stutter to the clock in different divisions by holding down the function button and turning the time knob simultaneously.
kbit

IAMILFFAMOUS
IAMILFFAMOUS

Postby MrNovember » Thu Jan 08, 2015 9:24 pm

I did this with the small system I brought home for Christmas holidays:
MrNovember

Modulae of BILF
Modulae of BILF

Postby kbit » Thu Jan 08, 2015 11:33 pm

MrNovember wrote:I did this with the small system I brought home for Christmas holidays:

Whoaaa that first patch is bananas.
kbit

IAMILFFAMOUS
IAMILFFAMOUS

PreviousNext

Return to General Gear