Let's see your KEYS/SYNTHS!

Moderator: Ghost Hip

Re: Let's see your KEYS/SYNTHS!

Postby JereFuzz » Wed Jan 11, 2017 1:00 am

$harkToootth wrote:
JereFuzz wrote:
Pepe wrote:Thanks a lot for sharing this link! That looks very useful. :thumb:

No prob. There is one in there that sounds like wind that is awesome. The ms-20 is as much a sound fx machine as it is a music instrument. I don't know if one has enough years in a life to maximize what u can do with this machine. I hope Korg expands on this machine in the future.

Pepe and I agree. Every time I think of getting a new synth or pedal I have to stop myself and say 'I wonder if I can get that sound out of my MS 20 mini?" That plus pedals I already have.

I usually don't get the sound I want but it's okay anyway so I buy the pedal or synth. But it's fun!

One synth I am really thinking hard about is the Yamaha Reface DX. From what I understand FM Synthesis is very customizable and can produce great sounds. The clips I've heard online have been great.
“We learn from history that we do not learn from history.”
― Georg Wilhelm Friedrich Hegel
JereFuzz

FAMOUS
FAMOUS

Postby echorec » Thu Jan 12, 2017 5:30 pm

JereFuzz wrote:One synth I am really thinking hard about is the Yamaha Reface DX. From what I understand FM Synthesis is very customizable and can produce great sounds. The clips I've heard online have been great.

If you're willing to edit the parameters, the Reface DX can do some great stuff (and it's definitely easier to navigate than a vintage unit)---metallic clangs, sci-fi sounds, slowly-evolving pads, et cetera. I think these are two of the best DX demos.

echorec

IAMILFFAMOUS
IAMILFFAMOUS

Postby Dr. Sherman Sticks M.D. » Thu Jan 12, 2017 7:29 pm

some real nice sounds in that second vid
i :love: fm
Dr. Sherman Sticks M.D.

IAMILFFAMOUS
IAMILFFAMOUS

Postby JereFuzz » Thu Jan 12, 2017 8:08 pm

echorec wrote:
JereFuzz wrote:One synth I am really thinking hard about is the Yamaha Reface DX. From what I understand FM Synthesis is very customizable and can produce great sounds. The clips I've heard online have been great.

If you're willing to edit the parameters, the Reface DX can do some great stuff (and it's definitely easier to navigate than a vintage unit)---metallic clangs, sci-fi sounds, slowly-evolving pads, et cetera. I think these are two of the best DX demos.

Yeah, that's good stuff. That first clip sounded like something out of BladeRunner. But I believe Vangelis, the composer, used a Yamaha CS ... btw, everyone who owns the Reface CS say its amazing.
JereFuzz

FAMOUS
FAMOUS

Postby $harkToootth » Fri Jan 13, 2017 1:20 am

Yeah, that's good stuff. That first clip sounded like something out of BladeRunner. But I believe Vangelis, the composer, used a Yamaha CS ...

CS 80. Magnificent machine. He loved the thing. It weighs about 200 Pounds.
"SWIPE LEFT ASSHOLE!" -retinal orbita
"Whatever ASSHOLE here’s my pedal that makes humpback whale noises and also it has a built in sequencer so stick it in your craw! -retinal orbita
"Patty Mullen takes me from a ball peen to a sledge" -The Great Velvet Hammer
"...at this exact moment Divine has learned of your jealous scheme from the local town gossip. She also has your address, ASS HOLE!" -Narrator (Mr. J) PINK FLAMINGOS
1 bird per post please
$harkToootth

IAMILFFAMOUS
IAMILFFAMOUS

Postby space6oy » Fri Jan 13, 2017 1:43 am

Warpsmasher wrote:5 rows down, 4 to go...

XL: http://i.imgur.com/s9VfBtB.jpg

nice. what do you think of the roland modules? i keep bitching about them not having made anything good in ages like korg has...
i'll also have to check out the trogotronics since getting started trying to slim down my rig i'm of course having the addiction try to creep back into me...
:omg:
space6oy

IAMILFFAMOUS
IAMILFFAMOUS

Postby Strange Tales » Fri Jan 13, 2017 9:21 am

FWIW: Those Roland modules are selling for dirt cheap now, like $169 from suppliers. No idea what is going on there with that, but it's been going on for a month or two now.
木枯らし // 木漏れ日 // 風に綱は戦ぐ

Strange Tales Distro - Japanese Underground Music Distribution in the US

Invisible Man wrote:Strange Tales: putting the ‘weeb’ in ‘dweeb’ since whenever.
Strange Tales

IAMILFFAMOUS
IAMILFFAMOUS

Postby Warpsmasher » Fri Jan 13, 2017 10:08 am

space6oy wrote:
Warpsmasher wrote:5 rows down, 4 to go...

XL: http://i.imgur.com/s9VfBtB.jpg

nice. what do you think of the roland modules? i keep bitching about them not having made anything good in ages like korg has...
i'll also have to check out the trogotronics since getting started trying to slim down my rig i'm of course having the addiction try to creep back into me...
:omg:

I LOVE my Rolands, they were amongst my first and earliest acquisitions, and gatewayed me in smoothly and effectively. They are so ridiculously underrated, mostly due to not being marketed properly (hence the apparent discontinuation and price reduction). Now that they are selling better, perhaps that will change, fingers crossed. Each one is like a roided double Disting with extra powers, and the proprietary FX. Much easier to change up too. All 8 input jacks are DC coupled, so they're also great for mixing. I use the Torcido as a mixer most of the time now, sometimes like a double Rosie, sometimes for 4 stereo signals, input boost wherever it's needed, etc. The customizing software is basically just a virtual 84 HP modular system for inside each module, so all you have to do to change how they work is patch. They free me up to waste as much HP as I want on frivolous modules, since I can use them for pretty much anything.

I emailed WT recently to ask about an updated m333 (currently under revision) and anything else, and there is some exciting new Trogotronic stuff coming, 3 modules at least.
Warpsmasher

FAMOUS
FAMOUS

Postby Strange Tales » Fri Jan 13, 2017 11:00 am

Do you have them plugged in using an AC adapter? I was looking them up right now and those things take up half an amp on the 12+ rail using euro power (and close to 1 amp with the AC adapter). That's way, way, way too much power. For comparison, I think the Intellijel Rainmaker takes up like 250-260 mAmps on the 12+ rail.
木枯らし // 木漏れ日 // 風に綱は戦ぐ

Invisible Man wrote:Strange Tales: putting the ‘weeb’ in ‘dweeb’ since whenever.
Strange Tales

IAMILFFAMOUS
IAMILFFAMOUS

Postby Warpsmasher » Fri Jan 13, 2017 12:37 pm

Yeah, most people power them separately, and I do too, but I don't have to. See the row of wallwarts on the bottom left...they (and the Trogotronic adapters) are plugged into a Monster surge protector, which is plugged into the power strip atop the lower half of the jamstand (not quite visible in the pic). Also, each trog power supply (I have one for each rack) is rated at 10 amps, so I shall not want for extra juice, like ever.
Warpsmasher

FAMOUS
FAMOUS

Postby Strange Tales » Fri Jan 13, 2017 12:45 pm

That's uh, fucking wild to say the least. I should've looked into that before going with Intellijel for my new case (no complaints though)
木枯らし // 木漏れ日 // 風に綱は戦ぐ

Strange Tales

IAMILFFAMOUS
IAMILFFAMOUS

Postby friendship » Fri Jan 13, 2017 3:48 pm

yo what do you guys like to use as a stereo chorus for a mono synth?
sound journal

actualidiot wrote:12-bit's almost analog, right?
friendship

IAMILFFAMOUS
IAMILFFAMOUS

Postby frodog » Fri Jan 13, 2017 4:47 pm

Ibanez TC10, maybe SC10. I'd also love to try a Transroom, bet that would be nice.
frodog

FAMOUS
FAMOUS

Postby space6oy » Fri Jan 13, 2017 5:38 pm

Warpsmasher wrote:I LOVE my Rolands, they were amongst my first and earliest acquisitions, and gatewayed me in smoothly and effectively. They are so ridiculously underrated, mostly due to not being marketed properly (hence the apparent discontinuation and price reduction). Now that they are selling better, perhaps that will change, fingers crossed. Each one is like a roided double Disting with extra powers, and the proprietary FX. Much easier to change up too. All 8 input jacks are DC coupled, so they're also great for mixing. I use the Torcido as a mixer most of the time now, sometimes like a double Rosie, sometimes for 4 stereo signals, input boost wherever it's needed, etc. The customizing software is basically just a virtual 84 HP modular system for inside each module, so all you have to do to change how they work is patch. They free me up to waste as much HP as I want on frivolous modules, since I can use them for pretty much anything.

I emailed WT recently to ask about an updated m333 (currently under revision) and anything else, and there is some exciting new Trogotronic stuff coming, 3 modules at least.

it doesn't look like they've been discontinued, they're on preorder for end of the month at MF.
space6oy

IAMILFFAMOUS
IAMILFFAMOUS

Postby JereFuzz » Fri Jan 13, 2017 9:10 pm

$harkToootth wrote:
Yeah, that's good stuff. That first clip sounded like something out of BladeRunner. But I believe Vangelis, the composer, used a Yamaha CS ...

CS 80. Magnificent machine. He loved the thing. It weighs about 200 Pounds.

Shit I may have to get the reface CS now :( ... Vangelis showed what a great musician can do with a great synth as opposed to "synth script kiddies", which I am, but don't underestimate "synth script kiddies", the dude who composed the theme song for requiem for a dream was one of them :)
JereFuzz

FAMOUS
FAMOUS

PreviousNext

Return to General Gear