Looking for Solution. Need quiet or silent rig. (new baby)

Moderator: Ghost Hip

Re: Looking for Solution. Need quiet or silent rig. (new ba

Postby odontophobia » Fri Oct 26, 2018 3:13 pm

Dr. Sherman Sticks M.D. wrote:surely there is many shades in-between stoner rock/doom hardcore punk and blues lawyer :idk:

God damn. I hope so.

:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

I farted around a bit with Logic Amp Designer and using some of the built in IR for speaker cabs (found in Space Designer under the Warped section) and that yields some pleasing results. Might have to fart around and find an interface that's better than the Apogee Jam I use with the iPad. Kiddo enjoys the Moog apps so I haven't done much iPad recording these days.

weebles wrote:Part of my issue is that what had been my music room and office is now being turned into the nursery, so I've had to move my gear out into the living room, which changes the dynamic. I've got a 5-watt Supro Bantam that sounds great for low-level bedroom playing, but without a door to shut, it might not work out.

I know at least a few of you use iPad interfaces. Any recommendations that way?

Ahem... speaking of...

Depends on my desires. There was an app that Peavey had partnership with and I used that quite a bit on my old ass first gen. iPad and that was awesome. For hardware I've just been using an Apogee Jam which works out really well and can also hook up to the computer. I wouldn't mind find something that's a little more robust though.
odontophobia

Supporter
Supporter

Postby Dr. Sherman Sticks M.D. » Fri Oct 26, 2018 3:18 pm

IRIG makes some nice compact interfaces also.
i have the HD2 for my phone/pad and it works very nice.

i want to try this hotone binary cab pedal for cab sim stuff. close to pulling the trigger a few times
Dr. Sherman Sticks M.D.

IAMILFFAMOUS
IAMILFFAMOUS

Postby GAS KING » Fri Oct 26, 2018 3:31 pm

Dr. Sherman Sticks M.D. wrote:surely there is many shades in-between stoner rock/doom hardcore punk and blues lawyer :idk:

MATT PIKE is out. BEANO IS GOD NOW.
GAS KING

experienced
experienced

Postby GAS KING » Fri Oct 26, 2018 3:32 pm

<------ is android user. this IOS based shit makes me sick! kidding, not kidding.
GAS KING

experienced
experienced

Postby GAS KING » Fri Oct 26, 2018 9:43 pm

I went for a used Line 6 Helix LT. People rave about the sim quality, amount of effects and ease of programming.
Will never need to upgrade.

Thanks everyone.
GAS KING

experienced
experienced

Postby odontophobia » Fri Oct 26, 2018 10:43 pm

good luck dude. hope it works out the way you're looking for.
odontophobia

Supporter
Supporter

Postby horseblanket » Sat Oct 27, 2018 2:30 am

I was in the same boat as you with a baby and I got a Two Notes Captor and run it into my computer and use IR cab sims.
https://www.two-notes.com/en/torpedo-captor
Got it used for 175.

Sounds ridiculously good through headphones, monitors and records really well. And it attenuates 100 watt monsters and below.

If you don't have a computer you could spend a little more and get a Mooer Radar or something for a cab sim/headphone solution.

At any rate, I can crank all my amps now and the baby has no idea what I am up to.
horseblanket

committed
committed

Postby frigid midget » Sat Oct 27, 2018 9:12 am

When I went through that new baby phase and tried to really come close to the sound and feel of my stupid loud half stack wtih a bunch of fuzz peds..I eventually just stopped trying. I sorta refused to settle for headphones, and even acoustic string rattle was almost too loud late at night, let alone a 1 watt amp :idk:

Nowadays there's a ton of options though. If it's just for some late night noodling, the katana mini supposedly does an okay job :idk:

Only one I actually tried myself, not counting amp sim apps (meh): Yahama THR10. Huge dissapointement. The overdrive/dist tones might be a *tiny* little bit less fizzy than, and the cleans may be a hair less sterile and dry...But for the money, I was expecting a lot more personally :idk: Especially with all the hype and raving reviews nstuff...:/

And was the one I tried broken, or is the heaphone volume way too quiet?

I can afford to make a little more noise these days. So for my home rig I was looking at the Peavy Classic or Valveking mini heads. The Fender Bassbreaker 15 costs a bit less though. The lack of a headphone out doesn't bother me, but it also doesn't have an attenuator or some other power scaling trick...:/

Anyway, a 15 or 20 watt practice amp can also be used as a backup for your live/rehearsel amp, or turn your mono rig into a stereo rig :)
A big avantage over any tiny digital headphone device imo, and a decent one wouldn't even cost you that much less.
frigid midget

IAMILF
IAMILF

Postby GAS KING » Tue Oct 30, 2018 2:09 pm

odontophobia wrote:good luck dude. hope it works out the way you're looking for.

My only real questions about modeling/using the helix is the practicality live........

While I am totally getting ahead of myself......the question still remains.

People are using powered PA speakers for stage monitoring or having stage volume with modeling rigs. FRFR.

While I'm not in a band or gigging anymore........the places we used to play were more like punk basements, dive bars, houses and skateparks.......we played a few nice places with full PA systems too.
I'm not sure what I'd be doing in the future? full on doom/stoner rock again? punk again? who knows. I doubt I'd be interested in doing a cover band again....

Still can a single 1x12 full response powered PA speaker keep up with a full band with amps and drums? idk

Seems like most people using 100% Helix are accomplished and play nice places and can go direct with monitoring (or in ears). lol
Or they like to keep the volume reasonable and play the blues or classic rock covers.
GAS KING

experienced
experienced

Postby BoatRich » Tue Oct 30, 2018 3:53 pm

GAS KING wrote:I went for a used Line 6 Helix LT. People rave about the sim quality, amount of effects and ease of programming.
Will never need to upgrade.

Thanks everyone.

I use Helix Native to practice and for some tones when recording. It’s a really cool and super powerful software. Line 6 definitely stepped up their sim stuff a lot
BoatRich

IAMILF
IAMILF

Postby rickenbastard » Wed Oct 31, 2018 2:57 am

Just get your baby hearing protection and crank it.

Or that Laney tube preamp/headphone/usb pedal
rickenbastard

committed
committed

Postby GAS KING » Fri Nov 02, 2018 1:49 am

Helix lt showed up today. Damn.....so good. So much to learn.
GAS KING

experienced
experienced

Postby odontophobia » Fri Nov 02, 2018 1:39 pm

GAS KING wrote:Helix lt showed up today. Damn.....so good. So much to learn.

but does it doom?

haha.

:picard:
odontophobia

Supporter
Supporter

Postby GAS KING » Fri Nov 02, 2018 6:59 pm

It is not very doomy. Doesn't need to be doomy.
GAS KING

experienced
experienced

Postby odontophobia » Fri Nov 02, 2018 9:05 pm

GAS KING wrote:It is not very doomy. Doesn't need to be doomy.

Taking the piss, but I’m interested in hearing how you think it’ll do with heaps of gain.
odontophobia

Supporter
Supporter

PreviousNext

Return to General Gear