· Gen · Guit · · Bldrs · B/S/T ·

Switch to full style
General Gear Discussion - effects, synths, etc.
Post a reply

Re: New band...Needs new dirt :/

Tue Jul 17, 2018 3:22 pm

frigid midget wrote:
frigid midget wrote:Rats are way too sizzly and lack low end.

:idk:

At the highest gain setting, there's just too much lows being sacrified for all those mids

^

Also, Turbo Rat is not as compressed as the typical Rat 2 at highest gain, in case OP decides to give Rat another shot.

Tue Jul 17, 2018 3:54 pm

I'm using a Mooer Black Secret as my main dirt source atm. Going back and forth between turbo and vintage-mode.
Either into YBA-1 or V4. And 412.
Playing mostly post metal/rock.

No lack of low end, but the guitar, EGC TT2 baritone, might have something to do with that as well. ;)

Tue Jul 17, 2018 4:44 pm

ognoy wrote:I'm using a Mooer Black Secret as my main dirt source atm. Going back and forth between turbo and vintage-mode.
Either into YBA-1 or V4. And 412.
Playing mostly post metal/rock.

No lack of low end, but the guitar, EGC TT2 baritone, might have something to do with that as well. ;)

Come to think of it though, dispite all my "lack of lows" complaints...

None of my previous amps had a particular problem with low end, but I never actually tried a Rat with my Traynor. With the YBA-1, it's more a matterof rolling off the bass. I guess it's called a Bassmaster for a reason :)

A used Black Secret would cost me hardly more than my average lunch, so it's worth a shot :)

Tue Jul 17, 2018 4:44 pm

I think big low end is overrated on guitars once you're playing in a band with a bass player but :idk: if that's the sound you're going for then :thumb:

All my favourite guitar sounds with a band/on my recordings sound too thin on their own but nice with everything else. Maybe worth a shot.

That said I'm also of the perspective that if you can get something that can have low end or NOT then it's possibly better than something that only can't because more options.

Tue Jul 17, 2018 5:03 pm

Laney TI boost. Sounds great on it’s own and stacks incredibly well especially at the end of the signal chain

Tue Jul 17, 2018 5:16 pm

coldbrightsunlight wrote:I think big low end is overrated on guitars once you're playing in a band with a bass player

Tue Jul 17, 2018 5:55 pm

I used a Mantic Vitriol when I was playing similar kind of stuff, sounded monstrous. Your bass player will try and steal it though.

Tue Jul 17, 2018 6:38 pm

Update:

Just ordered a gunslinger. I could be dead wrong, I know you can't trust yt clips...But what I heard made it seem like it's in the right gain range, fairly gritty and saturated without getting too messy and without burrying/emphasasing Too cheap brand new to even bother looking for a used one. I'm not ruling out the Rat or MT2 yet, but I'll first see how the Gunslinger will work out.

It's not that I'm obsessed with low end or trying to steal our bassist's thunder, but some pedals, like the Rat, just get you a noticeable bass sag when going from clean to dirty, as a trade off for the gain/grit. I guess most people hear a mids boost rather than a low end loss, it's probably just me :idk:

Tue Jul 17, 2018 7:43 pm

frigid midget wrote:It's not that I'm obsessed with low end or trying to steal our bassist's thunder, but some pedals, like the Rat, just get you a noticeable bass sag when going from clean to dirty, as a trade off for the gain/grit.

That's why it works. Sounds like shit for the solo ambient bedroomz jams.

Wed Jul 18, 2018 8:09 am

tremolo3 wrote:
frigid midget wrote:It's not that I'm obsessed with low end or trying to steal our bassist's thunder, but some pedals, like the Rat, just get you a noticeable bass sag when going from clean to dirty, as a trade off for the gain/grit.

That's why it works. Sounds like shit for the solo ambient bedroomz jams.

Not sure if that's exactly your point, but I agree that in a band you sometimes NEED that pedal that sounds shitty at home on your own, and vice versa :idk:
And again, yer amp plays a big part too, and Rat-type peds can be found in the Gunslinger price range, so I'm looking for something like the Mooer clone to try side by side with the Gunslinger. Any other options there though? Those tiny fellows tend to tip over when I stomp 'em, even the weight of one of the cable jacks is sometimes enough to make 'em wobble...

Edit: Holy F*ck, 249Euro for a Proco Fatrat???? I'm pretty confident even my humble skills would be enough to mod a stock Rat to make it similar, for less than $20 :idk:

Wed Jul 18, 2018 3:09 pm

There's those rattack little bear cheapos, in a normal box. They cover multiple rats and are also cheap. I think some people have had issues with theirs, though mine never gave me any trouble (sold eventually, but wish I still had it). It's not a spot on clone though, so settings will likely differ from what you're accustomed to.

Wed Jul 18, 2018 3:59 pm

Jero wrote:There's those rattack little bear cheapos, in a normal box. They cover multiple rats and are also cheap. I think some people have had issues with theirs, though mine never gave me any trouble (sold eventually, but wish I still had it). It's not a spot on clone though, so settings will likely differ from what you're accustomed to.

Yeah, I seen those around, don't know about the availability here in Europe though. A used Proco Rat, Turbo or Rat2, wouldn't cost a whole lot either, and they're pretty much indestructable :idk:

Wed Jul 18, 2018 4:05 pm

Ebay dude.

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Little-Bear- ... SwAL9Ui-os

Wed Jul 18, 2018 5:43 pm

frigid midget wrote:
Jero wrote:There's those rattack little bear cheapos, in a normal box. They cover multiple rats and are also cheap. I think some people have had issues with theirs, though mine never gave me any trouble (sold eventually, but wish I still had it). It's not a spot on clone though, so settings will likely differ from what you're accustomed to.

Yeah, I seen those around, don't know about the availability here in Europe though. A used Proco Rat, Turbo or Rat2, wouldn't cost a whole lot either, and they're pretty much indestructable :idk:

goroth wrote:Ebay dude.
https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Little-Bear- ... SwAL9Ui-os

This guy knows^
but you are correct, for like $20 more you could find a real one, and have the street cred to boot...I regret getting rid of mine (who sells off an orig reissue, rat2, brat, and decent clone around the same time?? :facepalm: ...me, big dumb ol' me)

Wed Jul 18, 2018 6:42 pm

Plenty of Rat options apparantly :)

Including clones, I bought and flipped 3 rats during the last decade, and I heard/tried several different types of rats from friends...so even though I'm curious where my love/hate relationship will end up when I give the Rat another try with my current rig, I can't say I've got huge expectations :idk:

No shortage of dirt options, thanks everyone :hello:

Next stop: everything else :facepalm:

There's a BIG difference between building a board for just home use and occasional jam sessions, or putting one together for a band that plans to gig/record. Accidentally stomping two pedals at hte same time is NOT cool, falling on your face due to a challenging pedal dance becomes a risk, hauling around a case the size of a ping pong table isn't exactly convenient, having you cheap patch cables fail on you in the middle of your set is hell,..etc etc etc :facepalm:

Most of that is fairly easy to fix, but the issues I have with my beloved cheap old pedals should probably be fixed if I replace some of them with better pedals :idk:

Silent switching, reliable inputs/controls, accurate tap tempo, quick tracking on my octave down pedlol, true bypass switching, no noise...All of a sudden I'm beginning to see why it could make sense for someone to swicth from thrift store mojo to new/boutique... :(
Post a reply