Is downsizing a trend?

Moderator: Ghost Hip

Re: Is downsizing a trend?

Postby Ugly Nora » Tue Jul 10, 2018 2:38 pm

I recently lost 3 forks. This is a big issue since I only had 6 to begin with. Maybe I should check my studio now that you mention it. :thumb:
Ugly Nora

IAMILFFAMOUS
IAMILFFAMOUS

Postby DRodriguez » Tue Jul 10, 2018 2:48 pm

:cry:

Try the kitchen?
DRodriguez

IAMILFFAMOUS
IAMILFFAMOUS

Postby Paul_C » Tue Jul 10, 2018 2:56 pm

If you have teenagers then forks, plates, mugs etc. are usually under the bed, approach with caution though.
Paul_C

FAMOUS
FAMOUS

Postby BitchPudding » Tue Jul 10, 2018 4:12 pm

I used to have my pedaltrain pro completely filled until recently, now Its got about 8 pedals if you count the effects loop.

For me it boiled down to a few things: Having a massive board with tons of options wasnt working for me live. Too much could and did go wrong too frequently. Another issue I ran into was I was spending more time making sure that my gear sounded right than I did writing actual music. I would dedicate an afternoon to recording, and instead end up fussing with my board for a few hours until I was burnt out on anything music for the day. Thats something I didnt like.

On top of all that, at the end of the day im a pretty basic bitch. My main focus is drives, some type of delay, and a wah. Everything else is secondary stans tuner. So while some people here love to get weird and have some crazy oscillating noise beast, I dont have a use for any of that. Doesn't do anything for me. :idk:
ummohyeah wrote:Godspeed rule and no amount of tape would make their pedalboards safe from my cum.

ImageImageImage
YO YO ITS YA BOI
The Eville Experience: http://www.rosegonzalesmusic.com/the-eville-experience
Spotify: https://open.spotify.com/artist/10Qbd3gcYrfIyZ89HCArCt?si=4KZfzqj5Qiq-rG0xFPjckA
BitchPudding

IAMILFFAMOUS
IAMILFFAMOUS

Postby Jwar » Tue Jul 10, 2018 6:22 pm

I'm getting a part time job starting the end of August. After I pay my debt, it's back to collecting like a motherfucker. Just smarter this time and more calculated towards what I'd use to record with.
"I do not have the ability to think rationally 90% of the time and I also change my mind at the drop of a hat".

-JWAR :)
Jwar

Cosmic of BILF
Cosmic of BILF

Postby codetocontra » Tue Jul 10, 2018 8:40 pm

Downsizing is a lifestyle choice. No really, it started as an idea like 10 years ago and has plagued me ever since. I go through periods of gathering a bunch of stuff only to massively purge later. Funny how selling feels more exhilarating than buying anymore. It spreads from gear to other possessions. Having a collection of anything for the sake of collecting is boring. Owning too much is distracting. Eventually your possessions own you. Feeling an impulse to purge now.
codetocontra

IAMILF
IAMILF

Postby dubkitty » Tue Jul 10, 2018 9:16 pm

spacelordmother wrote:Pedal game is insane these days. Think people are just getting overloaded/burnt out. It ebbs, it flows.

Maybe now we can start talking about $100 fuzz pedals again?

it's a lot easier to afford a big pedal habit when a pedal costs $100-150...nowadays $400 seems barely unusual.
In girum imus nocte et consumimur igni

FIFTY YEARS OF SCARING THE CHILDREN 1970-2020--and i'm not done yet

DUBZ ÄLTER LOOPZ (2012-14): https://soundcloud.com/dubkitteh-1/sets/early-works-2012-14

DUBZ LOOPZ 2: Electronic Renaissance coming soon to a Soundcloud near you!
dubkitty

IAMILFFAMOUS
IAMILFFAMOUS

Location: somewhere between Never-Never Land and Wonderland, in a place called Never Wonder Land

Postby Faldoe » Wed Jul 11, 2018 3:13 pm

There is a lot to that question.

People could be downsizing in a trendy fashion.

I used to have a PT PRO full of pedals. At the time I was doing more ambient/weird stuff and over time - maybe do to work and other life factors - I kind of stopped wanting to play that stuff.

There is also the whole persuit/Chase/consumer factor to pedals and gear. So much gear - and cool gear - is being made you can get sucked in like with anything else in the consumer realm of lusting for gear and thinking you want or worse “need,” it. I’m not trying to bash companies for making more gear and delivering more options. For me it was just too much. Too much time spent thinking about why I could get and do with it that it affected my playing and interest/attention to the instruments themselves.

I think I also limited my paying ability by hiding - both conscious and unconsciously - behind effects. I really enjoy playing without effects or some reverb and seeing what I can create.

I still browse Craigslist endlessly for gear though and catch myself in the midst and go “what the fuck are you looking for?
Faldoe

Postby spacelordmother » Wed Jul 11, 2018 5:09 pm

Faldoe wrote:I still browse Craigslist endlessly for gear though and catch myself in the midst and go “what the fuck are you looking for?

spacelordmother

HERO
HERO

Postby DRodriguez » Wed Jul 11, 2018 5:41 pm

^ me every lunch break.
DRodriguez

IAMILFFAMOUS
IAMILFFAMOUS

Postby coldbrightsunlight » Thu Jul 12, 2018 12:26 pm

I haven't done that in ages but I still occasionally find it happening...

I also struggle with purge impulses, because in terms of playing enjoyment I vastly prefer simple setups. But then when I look at the pedals on the bench I'm like "oh but not that one I might need it some day" because I'm a hoarder. It doesn't help that nobody buys the things I do try to sell. :lol:
füzz lover. Friend. Quilter evangelist.

I make music sometimes:

https://nitrx.bandcamp.com/

https://mediocrisy.bandcamp.com/

https://fleshcouch.bandcamp.com
coldbrightsunlight

Supporter
Supporter

Postby gnomethrone » Thu Jul 12, 2018 9:53 pm

spacelordmother wrote:
Faldoe wrote:I still browse Craigslist endlessly for gear though and catch myself in the midst and go “what the fuck are you looking for?

same
good dealings here:
NSFW: show
Ancient Astronaught, fuzzlord!, onyxrhino, lordgalvar, JoeTheStache, kbit, BoatRich, oscillateur, grindonomicon, doommeow, fever606, Bearstripes, Casavettes, Faldoe, jellyfishfuzz, morange, Teej212, MEC, ianmarks, JWAR, Raj007
gnomethrone

FAMOUS
FAMOUS

Postby tremolo3 » Thu Jul 12, 2018 11:20 pm

gnomethrone wrote:
spacelordmother wrote:

same

Same...

When I find somthing:

John wrote:"guys play quiet, listen to my small costly device."

PumpkinPieces wrote:Fer shoogaze

tuffteef wrote:all you need is a big muff and feelings
tremolo3

IAMILF
IAMILF

Postby Benn Roe » Fri Jul 13, 2018 12:49 am

I have no recollection of Bev Crush ever doing that, and it's bumming me out that I can't mentally give that gif context.
Former Bands: Lazy Gaga, Kadis-kot, Pyramids, In First Person, the Holy Fucking Spirit, Take Down Your Art, A Petal Fallen
Benn Roe

experienced
experienced

Postby Benn Roe » Fri Jul 13, 2018 8:01 am

Poker scene! Of course. Thanks. It's obviously been too long since I watched Next Gen.
Former Bands: Lazy Gaga, Kadis-kot, Pyramids, In First Person, the Holy Fucking Spirit, Take Down Your Art, A Petal Fallen
Benn Roe

experienced
experienced

PreviousNext

Return to General Gear