Is downsizing a trend?

Moderator: Ghost Hip

Re: Is downsizing a trend?

Postby ognoy » Tue Jul 03, 2018 2:40 pm

During the last year I've been downsizing on pedals and upsizing on amps.

I used to have a PT3-sized board with around 15 pedals, including 2 Eventides, 1 same size as Eventide and a Moogerfooger.

Sold a lot of stuff and had a PT Metro 20 with 9/10 pedals on it.

Now I'm down to 7 pedals on a DIY plywood board. I'm hoping to cut it down even more. I also got a grab'n'go-board with 3 Boss-pedals: Modded ODB-3, RC-3 and RV-3.

In the amp department I'm now running two halfstacks. And that rocks!!
OGNOY/solo(ambient/noise/drones)https://ognoy.bandcamp.com/
Solstorm(doom/postmetal) https://solstormdoom.bandcamp.com/
ognoy

FAMOUS
FAMOUS

Postby retinal orbita » Tue Jul 03, 2018 3:06 pm

I try to keep it limited to the board I have in terms of size and a PP2. Or even less if possible. That’s been like, my limit forever.

But like, I have this plastic tub that’s full of effects that I don’t see myself selling and I want to use them all.

But when I go play music I like to crank a few beers with the lads so I don’t drive, therefor my board needs to be reasonably sized. It’s very important to remember that intoxicated driving is very bad and you should never do it. So do I like minimal gear or am I a functional safety conscious alcoholic?

tbqh I just really liked the talk itt about much that shimmer reverb sound sucks.
retinal orbita

IAMILF
IAMILF

Postby comesect2.0 » Tue Jul 03, 2018 3:25 pm

stopped reading because it just sounded pretentious as fuck....they are pedals, majority of them are just a buncha crap.
amps & instruments. pedals are confetti. I like to party too, throwing confetti around.
but at night when I turn off the lights and crawl into the sheets, im whispering at me amps & instruments that was good not my pedals.
Last edited by comesect2.0 on Tue Jul 03, 2018 3:35 pm, edited 1 time in total.
comesect2.0

IAMILFFAMOUS
IAMILFFAMOUS

Postby tremolo3 » Tue Jul 03, 2018 3:33 pm

Maybe downsizing is the sign that more pedal nerds are actually getting out of the bedroom, with all what this implies, like listening to avant-garde noise pieces while I try to chill and drink at the bar.
John wrote:"guys play quiet, listen to my small costly device."

PumpkinPieces wrote:Fer shoogaze

tuffteef wrote:all you need is a big muff and feelings
tremolo3

IAMILF
IAMILF

Postby Jwar » Tue Jul 03, 2018 4:03 pm

comesect2.0 wrote:stopped reading because it just sounded pretentious as fuck....they are pedals, majority of them are just a buncha crap.
amps & instruments. pedals are confetti. I like to party too, throwing confetti around.
but at night when I turn off the lights and crawl into the sheets, im whispering at me amps & instruments that was good not my pedals.

Whut?

Hahahahaha
"I do not have the ability to think rationally 90% of the time and I also change my mind at the drop of a hat".

-JWAR :)
Jwar

Cosmic of BILF
Cosmic of BILF

Postby MechaGodzilla » Tue Jul 03, 2018 4:11 pm

tremolo3 wrote:Maybe downsizing is the sign that more pedal nerds are actually getting out of the bedroom, with all what this implies, like listening to avant-garde noise pieces while I try to chill and drink at the bar.

tbh I have no feelings towards the amount of gear people own, or how much they jam with at home, or how much they use in the studio... but if you're turning up to play a 20 min support slot at 7.30 on a tuesday night with a huge board of gazer cred soft nonsense... well, you look daft next to the guy who brought a tuner, a fuzz and a killer set.
MechaGodzilla

IAMILF
IAMILF

Postby greyscales » Tue Jul 03, 2018 4:22 pm

worra wrote:Or maybe it's just because I'm addicted to eurorack now. :facepalm:

Definitely the case for me.

I had the realization that what I was trying to do with pedals was a lesser version of what I could do with eurorack. So I just sold a bunch of pedals that I couldn’t use in a band to put towards synths (which I actually can use in my band now).
greyscales

IAMILF
IAMILF

Postby retinal orbita » Tue Jul 03, 2018 6:15 pm

Maybe it’s just that everyone has a tuner on their cell phone now so boards look smaller?
retinal orbita

IAMILF
IAMILF

Postby retinal orbita » Tue Jul 03, 2018 6:18 pm

Plus I just bought this tiny little bass wah mini so I can fit like a bunch of other really garbage distortions so my board doesn’t look crowded
retinal orbita

IAMILF
IAMILF

Postby Bassist_Diver » Tue Jul 03, 2018 6:50 pm

Only in terms of real estate. Multi-FX pedals have gotten a helluva lot better over the years, so if you can afford a $400 Eventide pedal instead of 4 modulation stomp boxes why wouldn't you?

I also think a lot of music is heading more into loud, in-your-face territory and the need for more than dirt, octave, and a single mod/delay pedal is starting to ebb. For now.
The sea, once it casts its spell, holds one in its net of wonder forever. - Jacques Cousteau
Good dealings with: Vrom, Conky

Yamaha / Gallien-Krueger / Pedals
Bassist_Diver

FAMOUS
FAMOUS

Postby JereFuzz » Tue Jul 03, 2018 8:05 pm

ognoy wrote:During the last year I've been downsizing on pedals and upsizing on amps.

I used to have a PT3-sized board with around 15 pedals, including 2 Eventides, 1 same size as Eventide and a Moogerfooger.

Sold a lot of stuff and had a PT Metro 20 with 9/10 pedals on it.

Now I'm down to 7 pedals on a DIY plywood board. I'm hoping to cut it down even more. I also got a grab'n'go-board with 3 Boss-pedals: Modded ODB-3, RC-3 and RV-3.

In the amp department I'm now running two halfstacks. And that rocks!!

Me too ... more interested in amps than pedals ... but I’m more picky these days and want Fender to reissue Sunns ...
“We learn from history that we do not learn from history.”
― Georg Wilhelm Friedrich Hegel
JereFuzz

FAMOUS
FAMOUS

Postby nogodsnobedtimes » Tue Jul 03, 2018 8:42 pm

JereFuzz wrote:
ognoy wrote:but I’m more picky these days and want Fender to reissue Sunns ...

I feel like Fender missed the boat with the Sunn reissue. The doom revival would have been a perfect time to hit the market with a Beta or Model T reissue, but no. They'll probably wait 8 years, release some stuff, sell for a bit, then wonder why we're not buying.
nogodsnobedtimes

experienced
experienced

Postby retinal orbita » Tue Jul 03, 2018 8:51 pm

Yeah pedals are cool or whatever and all but a fucking giant wall of amps is way cooler.
retinal orbita

IAMILF
IAMILF

Postby Benn Roe » Tue Jul 03, 2018 9:27 pm

MechaGodzilla wrote:well, you look daft next to the guy who brought a tuner, a fuzz and a killer set.

This is a really silly preconception. Killer sets can be had with or without pedals, but not the same killer sets.
Former Bands: Lazy Gaga, Kadis-kot, Pyramids, In First Person, the Holy Fucking Spirit, Take Down Your Art, A Petal Fallen
Benn Roe

experienced
experienced

Postby Chankgeez » Tue Jul 03, 2018 9:36 pm

Dr. Sherman Sticks M.D. wrote:i still love me a gated snare
XTC forever
psychic vampire. wrote:The important take away from this thread: Taoism and Ring Modulators go together?
…...........................…
Sweet dealin's: here
"Now, of course, Strega is not a Minimoog… and I am not Sun Ra" - dude from MAKENOISE
#GreenRinger
Chankgeez

IAMILFFAMOUS
IAMILFFAMOUS

Location: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FGhbeHujNZQ youtube.com/watch?v=V-2l7kkBURc

PreviousNext

Return to General Gear