Gain devices for FX loops or drum machines

Moderator: Ghost Hip

Gain devices for FX loops or drum machines

Postby echorec » Wed Jun 06, 2018 6:03 pm

Since I use synths, I can't just plug directly into a splattered fuzz. I've got to dial everything back or use mono sequences. Recently I started exploring the FX loop on my Bellwether again, which has allowed me a little more flexibility. Now I'm looking to expand my options, but I feel I may have already peaked.

The Four Eyes worked really well, so I picked up a Fuck. Now I'm looking for new options to use in the FX loop, or that can be paired with drum machines.

With most designs voiced for guitar, I know that a lot of nuance is going to be lost, no matter how I arrange the chain or adjust the pots. I'd still like to explore some other possibilities, regardless of these challenges. Some of my wish list items are somewhat aggressive, but maybe I should just look at stacking ODs, or perhaps another amp in a box?

The more versatile the better, but ideally I'd like something able to do edge of breakup at lower volumes, and dirty without being harsh or too fizzy.

stuff I've been looking at:

Brothers
Conquistador
Kliptonite
Palisades
Buzzz
Dream Reaper
Glacial Zenith

what's already on-hand:

Mastotron
Sansamp/Tech 21 Leeds
Unpleasant Surprise
TC Dark Matter
MF-107
Data Corrupter
Flex Pro
misc. DIY 60s fuzz boxes
echorec

IAMILFFAMOUS
IAMILFFAMOUS

Re: Gain devices for FX loops or drum machines

Postby Dr. Sherman Sticks M.D. » Wed Jun 06, 2018 7:42 pm

a blend is prolly gunna be your BFF

amps in a box are great. i've been using different ones as recording preamps for awhile now.
Dr. Sherman Sticks M.D.

IAMILFFAMOUS
IAMILFFAMOUS

Postby 3205 » Wed Jun 06, 2018 7:51 pm

Moog MF Drive?
affiliations
Chase Bliss, Spiral Electric, DigiTech/DOD

committed
committed

Postby echorec » Wed Jun 06, 2018 8:02 pm

3205 wrote:Moog MF Drive?

Didn't like it with my setup. Sold one a few years ago.
echorec

IAMILFFAMOUS
IAMILFFAMOUS

Postby breakdown » Thu Jun 07, 2018 10:37 am

Elements? Goes from completely transparent to high gain, can get a little fuzzy if you want, has clean blend and powerful eq.
breakdown

involved
involved

Postby rustywire » Thu Jun 07, 2018 10:55 am

Pretty Years is the go-to answer if you've got one.
Also remember solutions such as Boss LS-2 and Pigtronix Keymaster can add extra fx loop within a loop, plus mv and blend controls to any of your fav dirtboxes presuming they dont load pickups a la fuzzface :hobbes:
[B/S/T shoutouts] Shortlist: Hollow Earth|Ct5|856|Condor|Thermae|OP-1|half track reel2reel|Prophet6 ... :whoa:
rfurtkamp wrote:The only transparent thing I own is a set of drinking glasses.
rustywire

IAMILFFAMOUS
IAMILFFAMOUS

Postby coldbrightsunlight » Thu Jun 07, 2018 12:25 pm

RM-1N is my favourite fuzz with drum machines. I do that a lot.
füzz lover. Friend. Quilter evangelist.

I make music sometimes:

https://nitrx.bandcamp.com/

https://mediocrisy.bandcamp.com/

https://fleshcouch.bandcamp.com
coldbrightsunlight

Supporter
Supporter

Postby fcknoise » Thu Jun 07, 2018 12:56 pm

I think HM-2 sounded good with some drum machines I've had
Cydonia wrote: Too bad no one here is interested in talking about "gear"

BossMann73 wrote:I didn't insult it......I "curated" a "different aesthetic.".

John wrote:I love how this forum has the GDP of Switzerland in pedals but the collective value of everyone's patch cables is less than the change in my couch cushions. And I don't have a couch.

Soundcloud: https://soundcloud.com/sharkmovieappriciator
Bandcamp: https://fcknoise.bandcamp.com/
fcknoise

IAMILFFAMOUS
IAMILFFAMOUS

Postby echorec » Thu Jun 07, 2018 1:54 pm

rustywire wrote:Pretty Years is the go-to answer if you've got one.
Also remember solutions such as Boss LS-2 and Pigtronix Keymaster can add extra fx loop within a loop, plus mv and blend controls to any of your fav dirtboxes presuming they dont load pickups a la fuzzface :hobbes:

No Pretty Years for me, although I'd like to try one. Maybe if there's a 2019/2020 batch?

FX loop for my FX loop? Hmm. At that point, I worry about losing what I set out to do. Dunno...

Dr. Sherman Sticks M.D. wrote:a blend is prolly gunna be your BFF

I've looked at blenders, but I'm really only using dirt with delay, so I haven't seen any added value by having a standalone FX loop away from the FX loops in my delays.
echorec

IAMILFFAMOUS
IAMILFFAMOUS

Postby echorec » Thu Jun 07, 2018 2:00 pm

fcknoise wrote:I think HM-2 sounded good with some drum machines I've had

I've heard some nice clips, utilizing unheralded BOSS dirt pedals with keys/drums, but the HM-2 will never be my jam. :lol:

breakdown wrote:Elements? Goes from completely transparent to high gain, can get a little fuzzy if you want, has clean blend and powerful eq.

I'm certainly aware of it, but in demos, I've never really heard what I'm looking for. I might try one anyway. Thanks for the input.
echorec

IAMILFFAMOUS
IAMILFFAMOUS

Postby echorec » Thu Jun 07, 2018 2:04 pm

coldbrightsunlight wrote:RM-1N is my favourite fuzz with drum machines. I do that a lot.

I've already got an Adineko and several other verbs. The RM-1N seems way too scuzzy for what I want. I understand why people like them, but I think I'd be happier with something like an Arquitecto or a Stargazer V2, if I get another oscillating verb. :hello:
echorec

IAMILFFAMOUS
IAMILFFAMOUS

Postby coldbrightsunlight » Thu Jun 07, 2018 2:44 pm

I mean, I use it with light dirt and not that much reverb on most things and don't really like oscillating it much. It does have gain and mix controls :lol:

But fair enough if you just want a dedicated fuzz thing it's probably a bit big and pricey.
füzz lover. Friend. Quilter evangelist.

I make music sometimes:

https://nitrx.bandcamp.com/

https://mediocrisy.bandcamp.com/

https://fleshcouch.bandcamp.com
coldbrightsunlight

Supporter
Supporter

Postby Psyre » Thu Jun 07, 2018 9:37 pm

What drum machines? Digital or analog? Individual out use or are you wanting more of a drum buss fuzz?
Psyre

IAMILF
IAMILF

Postby thesneakup » Thu Jun 07, 2018 11:58 pm

Though these might be on the high side of the price range, boxes like the Elektron Heat and the OTO Boum are interesting. Combo-processors that include various versions of gain/grit/overdrive plus EQ/LP/HP filtering. I've heard the Heat in action and it's impressive, gives drums a little spice or alotta smash and always sounds good. The Boum also has a compression circuit in its chain.

Don't forget a bitcrusher/reducer of some kind. You might find an old Alesis Bitrman on the cheap which can compress and distort as well as phase/filter/frequency shift.
thesneakup

interested
interested

Postby echorec » Fri Jun 08, 2018 9:22 am

Psyre wrote:What drum machines? Digital or analog? Individual out use or are you wanting more of a drum buss fuzz?

Synths are more of a priority right now, as I try to perfect this chain---

OB-6 > [misc effect] > analog delay (dirt in the FX loop) > [misc effect] > secondary delay

...so finding something that complements drum machines is a bonus, but old-school analog....Roland CR-68, Korg/Univox SR-120, Ace Tone/Multivox (Roland) FR-4 Rhythm Ace. These are mostly used with reverb & delay, but adding a touch of warmth/grit that's focused would be nice.

I've looked at the TT-78, which doesn't sound as good as the original 68/78s, but I like the individual outs. The problem is I'd need a lot more space and time to really dive into that and set up parallel FX chains.

Eventually I'll return to the Sherman FB2, but when I had one >15 years ago, the options were fairly limited for intuitive MIDI controllers.
echorec

IAMILFFAMOUS
IAMILFFAMOUS

Next

Return to General Gear