Glitchipedia

Moderator: Ghost Hip

Re: Glitchipedia

Postby whoismarykelly » Tue Sep 17, 2019 3:31 pm

I definitely prefer the evolving nature of sounds with the Particle 2 to stuff I get from the Tensor but considering the overall content of this thread its hard to knock the Tensor for bringing 90% of the previously very difficult to obtain effects to a readily-available and affordable pedal.
whoismarykelly

FAMOUS
FAMOUS

Postby Dowi » Wed Sep 18, 2019 3:04 am

UglyCasanova wrote:This is good news. I ordered a Particle 2 myself the other day. :snax:

:omg:
Curious to hear what do you think comparing it with Cloudy.

whoismarykelly wrote:I definitely prefer the evolving nature of sounds with the Particle 2 to stuff I get from the Tensor but considering the overall content of this thread its hard to knock the Tensor for bringing 90% of the previously very difficult to obtain effects to a readily-available and affordable pedal.

Yes, I see. I just think my pedalboard space could be for something else because I use the Tensor for very few things. Somehow I'm still reluctant to sell it because I want to see if i can get it to do something more, but lately every time I start to jam I end up trying to find new things with the Particle. :idea:

Seriously, I have never had any MIDI interest, but this thing makes me want to get one controller just for presets.
Maybe it could work also with the Tensor, cause every time i find a cool sound I keep on messing with knobs and rarely get to come back to that sound :grumpy:
BIRCH BARK | Solo stuff | Bandcamp - Youtube
HIBAGON | Polyrhythmic Heavy Duo | Bandcamp - Spotyshit
Dowi

IAMILF
IAMILF

Postby PSQRCL » Wed Sep 18, 2019 3:50 am

UglyCasanova wrote:This is good news. I ordered a Particle 2 myself the other day. :snax:

I did not like the Tensor (only tries the original firmware).

Fun times ahead! Looking forward to any clips you might put up with it.

I started using Midi and have cut down to 2 delays on my board.
The LFO setting (pitch mode) with delay tapped in gets really close to my DMM and has booted it off.
Not to mention heaps lower noise floor.

Interlude breakdowns with the freeze function and literally roaming around stage rolling the volume knob is heaps of fun too.

:!!!:
PSQRCL

interested
interested

Postby Dowi » Wed Sep 18, 2019 6:29 am

PSQRCL wrote:
The LFO setting (pitch mode) with delay tapped in gets really close to my DMM and has booted it off.

This so much. I was messing around that very thing just yesterday. Also get to do some really controlled single repetition pitch shifting delay.
Curiosity: what MID controller are you using/how have you configured it?
Dowi

IAMILF
IAMILF

Postby PSQRCL » Thu Sep 19, 2019 3:57 am

Dowi wrote:
PSQRCL wrote:

This so much. I was messing around that very thing just yesterday. Also get to do some really controlled single repetition pitch shifting delay.
Curiosity: what MID controller are you using/how have you configured it?

Heya! I'm using the Disaster Area MIDI Baby with expression just to get a few additional presets and also for expression control of a few parameters.

Still playing around with it but with the amount of real estate it takes up, this is a crazy flexible setup :!!!:
PSQRCL

interested
interested

Postby oldangelmidnight » Thu Sep 19, 2019 6:39 am

Talk to me about how you use the MIDI baby to do expression.
oldangelmidnight

IAMILFFAMOUS
IAMILFFAMOUS

Postby Paul_C » Thu Sep 19, 2019 7:28 am

Is the Particle 2 different enough from the Particle to consider having both ?

Asking for 2020 Paul_C who may have some money by then.
Paul_C

FAMOUS
FAMOUS

Postby PSQRCL » Thu Sep 19, 2019 7:53 am

oldangelmidnight wrote:Talk to me about how you use the MIDI baby to do expression.

I mainly use the expression to control delay time to get spaceship like sounds.

If I have misunderstood your question, and you wanted to know how to use the MIDI Baby to do expression, the video that Disaster Area Design put up is best. I can't seem to embed with time stamp but 6:05 shows how you can use the multijack and set different toe up and toe down parameters. Page 24 of the Particle V2 manual goes through what you can control via MIDI CC Num.
PSQRCL

interested
interested

Postby cosmicevan » Thu Sep 19, 2019 8:16 pm

Man this thread has killed my wallet. Since stumbling across it Ive developed quite a collection of glitchers. Currently have: Tensor, Particle 2, Charlie Foxtrot, Mandala, Count to 5, 856 for Zellersasn (not really a glitch machine), and Cloudy (another one thats not really glitchy but was mentioned in this thread).

While I do LOVE the particle 2 I've barely scratched the surface of what it can do...to me the Tensor steals the show. I use it w the 4 button switch giving me the 2 buttons from the pedal and 2 presets. Because of the way the pedal works, you can get so many sounds w each preset by using the left switch in varying tempos, plus the interchanging of the modes and presets lets you "trick" the pedal into having some momentary settings work as latched.

My presets are a momentary rewind and a pitch shift w speed up. This lets me have momentary rewinding on my playing, play backwards w varying sizes of reversable phrasing...which also lets you have a reversed like tremolo like thing. The pitch shift is killer w bass. Toss that w the left switch and varying slices of audio and I get hyper sped up octaved soloing among other crazy sounds.

Also the way the presets and pedal work, you can bend down and just give the random knob a twist and youll insert mayhem. If you want to revert back to your preset then just click the preset. You can temporarily adjust any parameter like this on a preset including the direction of loops and NXT functionality to.turn it into a looper. The thing about the Tensor is that its just so accessible and easy to get wild with in a deliberate way. So many of these other glitchies are hard to be deliberate with. I'm eager to try them all and get more familiar w the ones I habe...they each bring different things to the table and have different levels of accessing all the nuances they each offer.

I am taking the plunge into MIDI as well. I have a disaster area micro.ghost preordered. Having 16 presets on the particle and being able to do expression sweeps via MIDI is going to really open that sucker up. I intend to explore the Tensor's MIDI options too but very happy w the Tensor and 4 button switch. Stacking them is glorious. The Red Panda stuff really is very impressive and quite feature packed compared to everything else out there.
•○• cosmically yours •○•
cosmicevan

FAMOUS
FAMOUS

Postby Dowi » Mon Sep 23, 2019 7:34 am

Paul_C wrote:Is the Particle 2 different enough from the Particle to consider having both ?

Asking for 2020 Paul_C who may have some money by then.

To me it was different enough to sell the V1 and grab the V2. :cool:
cosmicevan wrote:to me the Tensor steals the show. I use it w the 4 button switch giving me the 2 buttons from the pedal and 2 presets. Because of the way the pedal works, you can get so many sounds w each preset by using the left switch in varying tempos, plus the interchanging of the modes and presets lets you "trick" the pedal into having some momentary settings work as latched.

My presets are a momentary rewind and a pitch shift w speed up. This lets me have momentary rewinding on my playing, play backwards w varying sizes of reversable phrasing...which also lets you have a reversed like tremolo like thing. The pitch shift is killer w bass. Toss that w the left switch and varying slices of audio and I get hyper sped up octaved soloing among other crazy sounds.

Also the way the presets and pedal work, you can bend down and just give the random knob a twist and youll insert mayhem. If you want to revert back to your preset then just click the preset. You can temporarily adjust any parameter like this on a preset including the direction of loops and NXT functionality to.turn it into a looper.

Ok now you convinced me I need to build the 4 button switch and try it before I decide to sell the Tensor :thumb:
Dowi

IAMILF
IAMILF

Postby shikawkee » Mon Sep 23, 2019 7:55 am

The 4 button switcher really changed my view of the Tensor. Makes it much wider for me.
Singer-songwriter, composer and author. I also manufacture and distribute Gary Hall designed and endorsed Lexicon PCM42 mods. Owner of HOSAT Effects. BETA tester for Line 6 and Eventide.
shikawkee

FAMOUS
FAMOUS

Postby Dowi » Tue Nov 19, 2019 6:59 am

So, i've got a few minutes and thought to write a really quick comparison (not that anyone asked me to do it) of the granular-related pedals i got the chance to play during this year. I know there are plenty of others out there, and I'm also sure everything about this devices has already been said, but maybe somebody could use this comparison to see what suits him the most. I'm gonna leave the CT5 and the Tensor out because they're more in the realm of tape looper/pitch shifters than granular synthesis.

General note: while i enjoy using this pedals for drones, evolving noises, and similar stuff, their main use is still to be played in a band context, more precisely in a band with fast riffs, sudden time signature changes etc, so my opinion is strongly connected to the ease of use i have found in that kind of situation.

DROLO Molecular Disruptor
The one with the most different sounding patches: it exceeds the pure granular territory and falls into a lot of different categories. Potentially you can reach some similar effects with determinate settings of the other 2 pedals, but some patches are truly unique (i.e. all the envelope-based ones). Cheat sheets have been essential because of the different ways every knob behaves and interacts in the various modes. If i could make a pedalboard with a dedicated pedal for some of the patches i probably would.

RED PANDA Particle 2
The most immediate / easy to play. The patches are really well calibrated, and it is hands down the most user friendly of this three. Just giving a look at the pedal lets me change from one patch to another and changing settings without having to look at cheat sheets or else, plus, given the huge amount of sounds this devices are capable of, i have found presets to be fundamental. A dedicated knob for tone would have been really useful, but the secondary function on the Feedback knob does the job.

PLADASK ELEKTRISK Fabrikat (latest revision)
The huge beast, for sure the most complete of the three if you want to go deep into granular synthesis (and tape loop modification). The dedicated knob for EQ is super useful and works really well, and i have found that to my ears this is the pedal that sounds better: it just seems that everything sounds organic and natural even in the weirder settings. I've been messing mostly with the Time Stretch and the Shuffle patches: i expected to be a bit difficult to properly calibrate new algorithms when jumping from one to another, but instead i found it very easy to find nice and usable settings without too much effort. I haven't found practical use for my needs of the freeze/scrub patches and, as far as sample playback goes, i still find it more easy to use the CT5 or the Tensor, mostly because in those two the sample size can be set tapping the footswitch, so it's more immediate than turning a dedicated knob, also the 1000ms lenght is quite limitating for my needs. Honestly i have been messing with it just for a couple of weeks, and i want to dig deeper in it because it's really interesting and it sounds really good, but i'm quite sure i'll be letting it go in a few weeks (if anyone wants it let me know, don't want to flip it to reverb resellers charging 200%) and safely stay with the Particle/Tensor/CT5 combo on my board.

:hello:
Dowi

IAMILF
IAMILF

Postby whoismarykelly » Tue Nov 19, 2019 10:29 am

I struggled with the Molecular Disruptor because of the issue of remembering what programs were on the two eeproms I had and then what the parameters for those programs actually were because sometimes it wasn't obvious from playing and turning knobs. I ended up having a pedal that had a ton of sounds but only ever using one because I didn't reliably remember the other 7 programs well enough to switch to them on the fly. The Fabrikat ended up working way better for me because of the little legend panel on the front and the logical progression of programs in each bank. Also any given program would make cool sounds with the knobs in any position which wasn't necessarily the case with the Molecular Disruptor.
whoismarykelly

FAMOUS
FAMOUS

Postby kaeth » Mon Dec 30, 2019 7:02 am

The video thread made me notice that Gieskes has a new revision of his Digital Effect Processor for sale. CV controlled loop sampling and pitch shifting! It's not a pedal, and not even really anything you'd want to put near a pedalboard, but if you go the DIY route I suppose you could put it in a case with a bypass switch.

http://gieskes.nl/effects/?file=dep-2
kaeth

committed
committed

Postby whoismarykelly » Mon Dec 30, 2019 11:34 am

There doesn't seem to be any rhyme or reason to the hardware layout on that unit but you could definitely put it in a box to make it more rugged. Kinda surprised when I see a lot of these PCB instruments because there is so much potential for damaging them without an enclosure to protect everything.
whoismarykelly

FAMOUS
FAMOUS

PreviousNext

Return to General Gear