CLANG GANG 2020: The Gang Gets Quarantined

Moderator: Ghost Hip

CLANG GANG 2020: The Gang Gets Quarantined

Postby neonblack » Tue Dec 19, 2017 8:53 pm

Edit: decided to open up the discussion on weird overdrives

Ayyyyy

Does anyone still use one of these. I know Witt was a big fan. I've owned like 3 or 4 total. I always flip them and I always want them back after. Last time it was because I felt like it sucked all the mids out of my signal when I turned it on. I love the texture but wish I could cut a little off the top and bottom and boost the mids.

Well I have a Boneshaker and I think I could accomplish this with the crazy eq on there.

Does anyone have one I can borrow? I don't want to buy another one just for the experiment. Or if you have both pedals, see if you can try it.

I do have a different setup than last time I tried it. Am I remembering wrong?
Last edited by neonblack on Fri Apr 17, 2020 3:29 pm, edited 3 times in total.
neonblack

IAMILFFAMOUS
IAMILFFAMOUS

Re: Another Driving Notion thread

Postby DRodriguez » Tue Dec 19, 2017 9:05 pm

I can't ever hear about this pedal without thinking about you :lol:

Yeah, the pedal has huge amounts of low ends and highs. A little more shrill than a boneshaker gets, from what I remember of the one that I bought from you.
DRodriguez

IAMILFFAMOUS
IAMILFFAMOUS

Postby repoman » Tue Dec 19, 2017 9:15 pm

I wish I still had mine. I've been looking for one on reverb for a while but haven't seen any. I think it's my favorite OD pedal. I have a Mountainking Ruckus II right now which kind of does the gnarly grainy clanky overdrive but isn't quite the same. Its pretty cool for that style of weird texture though. I recently read the Driving Notion is a clone/modified version of some older pedal but I forget which one.
Last edited by repoman on Tue Dec 19, 2017 9:30 pm, edited 1 time in total.
F U T U R E G A M E R
repoman

IAMILF
IAMILF

Postby neonblack » Tue Dec 19, 2017 9:24 pm

repoman wrote:I wish I still had mine. I've been looking for one on reverb for a while but haven't seen any. I think it's my favorite OD pedal. I have a Mountainking Ruckus II right now which kind of does the gnarly grainy clanky overdrive but isn't quite the same. I recently read the Driving Notion is a clone/modified version of some older pedal but I forget which one.

I had a Ruckus for a while. Pretty rad pedal. Reminds me of the fuck crackle a bit too

DRodriguez wrote:I can't ever hear about this pedal without thinking about you :lol:

Yeah, the pedal has huge amounts of low ends and highs. A little more shrill than a boneshaker gets, from what I remember of the one that I bought from you.

I meant using it in conjunction with the Boneshaker to tame some of that. Basically running the BS as clean as possible after the DN.
neonblack

IAMILFFAMOUS
IAMILFFAMOUS

Postby reckon luck » Tue Dec 19, 2017 10:33 pm

Nothing I've heard CLANGS like the Driving Notion. Owned it twice, flipped it twice for financial reasons. One of my favorite dirts ever. I'll probably get one again someday.
reckon luck

committed
committed

Postby repoman » Tue Dec 19, 2017 10:40 pm

Ok, so I saw that thing that said its a clone of an old pedal and its the Ampeg Scrambler circuit. There is some new versions and one with mid controls, maybe take a look at those? They seem really cheap used on Reverb, except the vintage ones and RI of the vintage style which are all really expensive.
F U T U R E G A M E R
repoman

IAMILF
IAMILF

Postby jrfox92 » Tue Dec 19, 2017 11:47 pm

Tried it out, The Driving Notion does not like the Boneshaker at all.
Since I always forget:

Inconuucl wrote:You can't kill Strymon, it'll just resurrect 3 days later.

BitchPudding wrote:Despite all my rage, I am still just eating tacos in a cage.

Inconuucl wrote:Welcome to ilf, we have three jokes and twelve posters. <3
jrfox92

IAMILFFAMOUS
IAMILFFAMOUS

Postby BoatRich » Tue Dec 19, 2017 11:55 pm

I wonder if an EQ pedal or even like a tube screamer or something could accomplish this? Some sort of clean parametric mid thing.
BoatRich

IAMILF
IAMILF

Postby taco satori » Wed Dec 20, 2017 12:12 am

Yeah! I’ve done the Boneshaker post-Driving Notion as a tone shaper. Definitely helps with the DN’s scooped clang.

I always wondered about the DN’s circuit. It sounds to me like the lovably trashy sounds one gets from an overdriven solidstate Traynor or the preamp of a 70s Music Man or the Intersound IVP. I think I saw a Reverb listing making the connection to the Ampeg Scrambler, but is it related?

I know I’ve said this before, but running a Green Ringer (clone) into a DN makes for delightful skree :thumb:
Great deals with lordgalvar, filipre, seten, DannDubblewe, PumpkinPieces, backwardsvoyager, DADGBD, jwar, JonnyAngle, dandolin, pd~, Dungus, dminner
taco satori

committed
committed

Postby neonblack » Wed Dec 20, 2017 1:17 am

Well while we're on the topic, what else brings the clang? I know the DN is the main clang thang around here for good reason, but i need my mids. Is there anything else that can get me there?

I know Percolators do that too. I wish I could try more out. The one I've played with sounds great through my neck pickup but not enough oomph in the bridge. But that may be my shitty bridge pu

Repo those ampeg things are bass preamps that have a "scrambler" circuit built in that is apparently nothing like the original. I need to look into the not ridiculously overpriced range.

I use a green ringer but not really for any kind of clang. Mostly "leads"

Any other unsung heroes? Can a rat get there?
neonblack

IAMILFFAMOUS
IAMILFFAMOUS

Re: Driving Notion and the Clang Gang

Postby neonblack » Wed Dec 20, 2017 1:22 am

Side question: any other uniquely voiced/textures distortions out there? I'm looking for my main distortion sound. I'm thinking Mini, obviously, but i want to keep my options open. Something interesting that can handle weird chords, fast palm muted plucking, and has some oomph. Doesn't have to be clangy necessarily.
neonblack

IAMILFFAMOUS
IAMILFFAMOUS

Postby PeteeBee » Wed Dec 20, 2017 1:47 am

Mini is great for this, but another option is a cat tail. It has a “no diode” setting that is really killer for articulation. I know EQD makes so pedals with switchable diodes as well that might do the same, but that’s my vote. Turn the filter way down and diodes off and the cat tail is clear and delicious.
Iommic Pope wrote:This is the best you've been.
Suffering suits you.

BitchPudding wrote:Let this be written in our history as proof that ILoveFuzz is one tight knit internet family.
PeteeBee

IAMILF
IAMILF

Postby oscillofuzz » Wed Dec 20, 2017 7:01 am

for clang i indeed use an ampeg scrambler clone, with an lpb-1 after to pump up the volume a little bit and add a hint of girth, sometimes with a spring reverb as well to let that clang bounce around

for definition however, a scrambler is not a very suitable circuit and the only chords/double stops it can handle without turning into a (delightful) mess are perfect 4th, 5th & octaves, no more than 2 notes
The Howl Ensemble - Bandcamp - Facebook - Instagram - Soundcloud -
oscillofuzz

committed
committed

Postby coldbrightsunlight » Wed Dec 20, 2017 8:40 am

taco satori wrote:I know I’ve said this before, but running a Green Ringer (clone) into a DN makes for delightful skree :thumb:

Yes! Green ringer into the dn is insane in the best way.

I'm a big dn fan and I've never found anything else that quite got me there? I'm borrowing a fuzzhugger magic meter at the moment and that can get pretty clangy but not as extreme as the dn?
füzz lover. Friend. Quilter evangelist.

I make music sometimes:

https://nitrx.bandcamp.com/

https://mediocrisy.bandcamp.com/

https://fleshcouch.bandcamp.com
coldbrightsunlight

Supporter
Supporter

Postby Jwar » Wed Dec 20, 2017 9:56 am

I play bass, but nothing clangs better than the Darkglass B7K. It has a mids high and low knob which will boost or cut the mids. It also has an attack switch which boosts, flattens or cuts highs. V2 of it has even more tone shaping options too.

Really, I've not met a pedal better than that since it came out.
"I do not have the ability to think rationally 90% of the time and I also change my mind at the drop of a hat".

-JWAR :)
Jwar

Cosmic of BILF
Cosmic of BILF

Next

Return to General Gear