Recommendations for fuzz with mids?

Moderator: Ghost Hip

Recommendations for fuzz with mids?

Postby catfuzz » Tue Oct 24, 2017 8:52 pm

I'm sure there have been tons of threads on this in the past, but I don't have the time or patience to wade through the archives right now. I've spent enough time searching the internet for recommendations, so I figured I would come to you fuzz lovers and perhaps get some good opinions/conversation going on the topic.

I'm playing with a Pelitaur right now, which I love, but the scoop causes me to vanish in the mix unless if I've got the volume cranked to unnecessary levels.

Right now I'm mainly considering the Dwarfcraft Necromancer, SSBS Buzzz or TAFM, or Caroline Shigeharu (the last three being a pain to get a hold of for a good price, so those are more "wishful thinking/maybe someday" pedals).

I've possibly got a shot at a Matthews Effects Whaler or a LWA Outer Heaven right now as well, so of course I'm considering those. I'd like to venture into something outside of muff territory, but there are of course a lot of nice muff variants with mid controls (like the Hoof, Grey Stache, ARC muffs) that I'd love to take for a spin.

Any thoughts on these or other fuzzes with some mids that you particularly enjoyed? Also if you know of a good thread on this topic and don't feel like indulging me I would be glad to shut up and read that if you have a link.
hbombgraphics wrote:Good Luck on your quest: It's a different value but this is exactly why I got rid of my VHS Copy of wayne's world about 20 years ago.
catfuzz

involved
involved

Re: Recommendations for fuzz with mids?

Postby UglyCasanova » Tue Oct 24, 2017 9:49 pm

catfuzz wrote:SSBS Buzzz

Reconsider. Soooo much lows. If you want something super fuzzish, go with the Dwarfcraft, which has a powerful EQ.
UglyCasanova

IAMILFFAMOUS
IAMILFFAMOUS

Postby catfuzz » Tue Oct 24, 2017 10:43 pm

I'm glad to hear this opinion! The Buzzz has just been so hyped by everyone that you don't often hear about its pitfalls. The Dwarfcraft has been my #1 choice since someone nearly traded it to me though.
hbombgraphics wrote:Good Luck on your quest: It's a different value but this is exactly why I got rid of my VHS Copy of wayne's world about 20 years ago.
catfuzz

involved
involved

Postby Lurker13 » Tue Oct 24, 2017 10:50 pm

I have a BAT LSTR. It has adjustable mids and it's awesome. I recommend it highly.
coldbrightsunlight wrote:Hey man, you can do what you want in this den of shame.
Lurker13

FAMOUS
FAMOUS

Postby smallsnd/bigsnd » Tue Oct 24, 2017 11:18 pm

UglyCasanova wrote:

Reconsider. Soooo much lows.

*too* low? i feel like someone else said that once a long time ago but it's good for me to hear. :thumb: i did extend the range a bit so yeah when you hit that scoop it gets pretty damn subby if you're at decent volume.
smallsnd/bigsnd

IAMILFFAMOUS
IAMILFFAMOUS

Postby catfuzz » Wed Oct 25, 2017 12:47 am

Lurker13 wrote:I have a BAT LSTR. It has adjustable mids and it's awesome. I recommend it highly.

I'll definitely have to give this one another listen. I feel like it often gets overshadowed by the Pharaoh when people are talking BAT, so it makes sense I just glossed over it.
catfuzz

involved
involved

Postby catfuzz » Wed Oct 25, 2017 12:51 am

smallsnd/bigsnd wrote:
UglyCasanova wrote:

*too* low? i feel like someone else said that once a long time ago but it's good for me to hear. :thumb: i did extend the range a bit so yeah when you hit that scoop it gets pretty damn subby if you're at decent volume.

Always good to get a bit of constructive criticism! Makes me curious about what synth would sound like running through it. *thinking face*
catfuzz

involved
involved

Postby goroth » Wed Oct 25, 2017 7:23 am

Get on the Dr Sci Frazz Dazzler. Cut or boost mids by 25 dB.
The mids are before the gain section, so boosting them also gooses the fuzz, which is rad.
Starving the voltage, maxing the mids, gain on minimum on low-gain mode, mix on 100% fuzz. It is the exact tone out of Seer by Witch.

It is crazy versatile, so it does other stuff, but that is one of my favourite midsy sounds with that pedal.
ALLisNOISE wrote:you can dial in some wonderfully smeared 12bit cascades of cicadas leveling a hail of rockets against an army of rusty box fans!

Latest album out on all streaming services and bandcamp and what not.
Spotify /// Apple Music
My band /// Instagram ///Bandcamp ///
goroth

HERO
HERO

Postby UglyCasanova » Wed Oct 25, 2017 7:37 am

smallsnd/bigsnd wrote:
UglyCasanova wrote:

No, no, no! My Buzzz is my baby, but I play bass. OP is looking for mids is all. :idk:

If you want to boost the range of something it should be the treble knob. :duck:
UglyCasanova

IAMILFFAMOUS
IAMILFFAMOUS

Postby insubordination » Wed Oct 25, 2017 9:36 am

Function f(X) Clusterfuzz (or Clusterfuzz Jr). is both middy as hell and super versatile. I never used it with my band but I can't imagine it not cutting through. If you get a Muff I'd look for one with boosted mids (i.e. ARC Shepherd or Blackout Effectors Musket/Blunderbuss), but in general I feel like Muffs suffer from too much low end, which helps them disappear in the mix when playing rhythm stuff (imo).
Good deals on ILF: too many to list, just ask!

http://difficult.band
http://missingskull.bandcamp.com
insubordination

Supporter
Supporter

Postby drolo » Wed Oct 25, 2017 10:06 am

+1 on the clusterfuzz, I just got one this week and it has solid mids.
fuzz faces, depending on how they are voiced are good in the mids section too
drolo

FAMOUS
FAMOUS

Postby MechaGodzilla » Wed Oct 25, 2017 10:23 am

smallsnd/bigsnd wrote:
UglyCasanova wrote:

With the octave on, in non-scooped mode, it cuts like a razor through flesh. I tend to set the amp to be bass-light and treble-heavy as most of my pedals are bassy and there's a tone pot on the guitar if there's too much treble :idk:
MechaGodzilla

IAMILF
IAMILF

Postby Lurker13 » Wed Oct 25, 2017 11:18 am

drolo wrote:+1 on the clusterfuzz, I just got one this week and it has solid mids.
fuzz faces, depending on how they are voiced are good in the mids section too

Very true about Fuzz Faces. I have a Dunlop Jimi Hendrix Fuzz Face RI, and it really has a beautiful mids bump. The harmonics are rich, the fuzz is woolly, and the pedal really sings. The trade-off is that it isn't really a high gain pedal like a Muff variant.
coldbrightsunlight wrote:Hey man, you can do what you want in this den of shame.
Lurker13

FAMOUS
FAMOUS

Postby DRodriguez » Wed Oct 25, 2017 11:52 am

Fuzzhugger stuff tends to have great mids and highs. Present but not overpowering

Have you considered a boneshaker after whatever fuzz you are already using?
DRodriguez

IAMILFFAMOUS
IAMILFFAMOUS

Postby catfuzz » Wed Oct 25, 2017 12:11 pm

Hmmm definitely a lot of good stuff to consider here. I'm especially liking the sound of the Clusterfuzz and Frazz Dazzler (may get a v1... I know it has less control, but for half the price and a still hefty midrange I don't see why not.) Never really considered a fuzzface probably due to its odd shape, but you people have got me reconsidering.

DRodriguez wrote:Fuzzhugger has great mids and highs. Present but not overpowering

Have you considered a boneshaker after whatever fuzz you are already using?

Any Fuzzhugger in particular? Our other guitarist uses an algal bloom, so I wouldn't want to be fighting over the same frequencies. I have had the Sonic Shroom or Bloom on my want list for a long time now though.

I haven't considered the boneshaker though. I run a cat king into it (sounds too compressed for me the other way around) when I need a little bit more, but I'd prefer to not have to rely on a second pedal to get the sound I want out of my fuzz. The less tap dancing I've gotta do the better off I am.
catfuzz

involved
involved

Next

Return to General Gear