Tremolos?

Moderator: Ghost Hip

Tremolos?

Postby AlexGlassLungs » Sat Sep 23, 2017 4:27 pm

I've been juggling the idea of getting a tremolo again. It's not an effect that I used much in the past but I recently got a bigger board and I've got the space. I've had the Diamond, Empress, Matthews Effects, Chase Bliss, Swindler, and Red House. I'm thinking of trying the Lightning Wave Ghost (I didn't really like the Astro though), the new smaller 80 Tape Variable that I'm told will be out soon, or the larger sized Judder (if I can ever find one). I know a lot of you will say Goat Keeper and I'd love to try that but it's way too big for something I rarely use. Suggestions please!
AlexGlassLungs

committed
committed

Re: Tremolos?

Postby Jwar » Sat Sep 23, 2017 4:30 pm

The Goatkeeper is more than a trem, so I'd never recommend that if you're not wanting a step sequence as well.

My favorite trem was the Hummingbird by Earthquaker Devices or the Swirlpool by Amptweaker. Both are pretty straight forward and lush.

I have a Ghost and it's amazing as well, but if you didn't like the Astro, then I'd definitely not get the Ghost as they operate the same way.
"I do not have the ability to think rationally 90% of the time and I also change my mind at the drop of a hat".

-JWAR :)
Jwar

Cosmic of BILF
Cosmic of BILF

Postby duffmcshark » Sat Sep 23, 2017 5:31 pm

EHX Super Pulsar seems like the tremolo that can do the most, IMO.
duffmcshark

involved
involved

Postby space6oy » Sat Sep 23, 2017 5:42 pm

goatkeeper, tremolessence, monument, tap-a-whirl, probably my favorites. but +1 on the goat taking up a bunch of room.
space6oy

IAMILFFAMOUS
IAMILFFAMOUS

Postby AlexGlassLungs » Sat Sep 23, 2017 5:55 pm

jwar wrote:The Goatkeeper is more than a trem, so I'd never recommend that if you're not wanting a step sequence as well.

My favorite trem was the Hummingbird by Earthquaker Devices or the Swirlpool by Amptweaker. Both are pretty straight forward and lush.

I have a Ghost and it's amazing as well, but if you didn't like the Astro, then I'd definitely not get the Ghost as they operate the same way.

The reason I didn't like the Astro was because it didn't get "wet" enough. It wasn't a feature thing
AlexGlassLungs

committed
committed

Postby frodog » Sat Sep 23, 2017 6:01 pm

I've mostly tried the TR-2 and Black Cat mini trem, both are plain but sound great, although the latter has more controls. Dwarcraft Twin Stags seems cool. Gristleizer can do tremolo. Boss slicer, kinda.. but then you have the MD-500 which has that plus the digital tremolo stuff... I dunno, lots to choose from. I really like trem, but find it hard to pin down a particular one.
frodog

FAMOUS
FAMOUS

Postby Snufkino » Sat Sep 23, 2017 6:09 pm

Maybe try a repeat percussion or harmonic trem?

As jwar said, the Hummingbird is a good repeat percussion trem.

My current favourite pedal, is the Surfy Trem. (I bought the kit version rather than the actual pedal). I've never really like harmonic trems, but I love the harmonic mode on this, and the wave shape of the standard mode gets me that goldilocks "just right" rhythmic quality that other trems can't quite manage. The speed range isn't that great but it's not an issue for me.

If you want a more 'modern' trem unit, maybe try the Moog Minifooger trem? That does a passable impression of a repeat percussion and gets all sorts of regular trem sounds, and has a unique staggered/layered trem thing going on that doubles and then triples as you increase the depth.
Snufkino

experienced
experienced

Postby AlexGlassLungs » Sat Sep 23, 2017 6:46 pm

I'm looking for something with tap tempo, I have to change bpm on the fly live and play to a click track. (Probably should've mentioned that)
AlexGlassLungs

committed
committed

Postby murch33 » Sat Sep 23, 2017 7:28 pm

The Semaphore and MF-102 are the two I always come back to. I have the basic OG Semaphore but there is a version with tap.
murch33

interested
interested

Postby Antlerface » Sat Sep 23, 2017 8:49 pm

I have a wooden Judder FS... :) :poke: :idk: :!!!:

If tap wasn't a necessity I'd go w Moog MF Trem. That shit is dope. I've heard great things about the 80tape as well.
Last edited by Antlerface on Sat Sep 23, 2017 9:15 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Antlerface

experienced
experienced

Postby BetterOffShred » Sat Sep 23, 2017 8:57 pm

Copilot makes a couple tap tempos, I'm about to receive my polypus supreme.. :!!!:

I have a Tremulous Bear, kit pedal from small bear, it's so good. You can really tweak it. But that's only if you like soldering.

The Dwarfcraft twin stags is very interesting as well. Just some ideas
BetterOffShred

IAMILFFAMOUS
IAMILFFAMOUS

Postby reckon luck » Sat Sep 23, 2017 9:39 pm

Sub-audio rate ring mod > all other forms of trem. Incidentally, that's what the MF Trem is. I need to get another one.
reckon luck

committed
committed

Postby PeteeBee » Sun Sep 24, 2017 12:36 am

I can't hang with trem by myself, the repetitive nature just maes it feel weird at some point. In the same way that most dirt sounds similar with a big loud band, same for trem imo. Hence I now have a tr2 on my board. Never gets touched by myself but does exactly what I want in the band, nothing more than what I want, but just enough, and sounds great.
Iommic Pope wrote:This is the best you've been.
Suffering suits you.

BitchPudding wrote:Let this be written in our history as proof that ILoveFuzz is one tight knit internet family.
PeteeBee

IAMILF
IAMILF

Postby repoman » Sun Sep 24, 2017 1:31 am

Best tremolo I've had are boring old Fulltones. I had a Supatrem 2 and I have a Supatrem now, both had something I didn't find in others. They just sound more lush or deep or something..dunno how to describe it. The Supatrem 2 sounded incredible with using it in stereo with the phasing up and one amp set really bright and one amp set pretty dark, created this mega harmonic tremolo phasing thing.

I want to try a Schaller Tremolo one day, they sound really nice.
F U T U R E G A M E R
repoman

IAMILF
IAMILF

Postby The Eristic » Sun Sep 24, 2017 3:17 am

I sold my Cusack TAW v1 (along with the Diamond and a couple others) when I got the Super Pulsar. Turns out I only really use the Super Pulsar for the lights, the TAW definitely sounded better and was easier to use even with all of its features, so I'm looking for a v3 now. The Diamond had a great balance of sound-to-features-to-usability, too, and if I ever wind up needing just a great, functional trem for "normal" duties, I'd definitely rebuy it.

I'll still keep the Super Pulsar for the lights.
Check out my live guitar streams @ http://www.twitch.tv/the_eristic!
The Eristic

experienced
experienced

Next

Return to General Gear