Post-Meta_Horizon: FIXED ARCHITECTURE SYNTH GENERAL

Moderator: Ghost Hip

Re: The Avant Garde Cool Kids Club: Not Your Mother's Synths

Postby K2000 » Fri Nov 08, 2019 3:50 am

I bought a JMT synth last week, the DNVO-1. It was insanely expensive ($360) compared to what it's meant to replace: a Realistic (radio shack) reverb used as a feedback loop with a PM-7 in the loop (together that cost like $60). Lots of great noises and textures available in that feedback loop, but also a lot of unpredictability and some sour /embarrassing noises too. It's capable of getting incredibly loud and shrill (and not always in a good way). Now I have to decide if I'm keeping the JMT or return it for the restocking fee. Price shouldn't matter (I guess?) but it does matter to me. Also not sure if I would like a different JMT box better. A lot of uncertainty related to this purchase. It is a super nice little unit but I would like it a lot better at half the price. Maybe that's wrong headed.
K2000

Supporter
Supporter

Meant To Make It FIXED ARCHITECTURE SYNTH

Postby $harkToootth » Fri Nov 08, 2019 11:54 pm

Firstly, @K2000, I have always PERSONALLY found the JMT stuff to be way too expensive for the architecture they are providing. I know this is Apples VS Oranges in the production world and there are other variables... but as I've been repeating all over the forum... I got a Blofeld for less than $360... I got an MS-2000R for less than $360. Had a Roland GAIA for less than $360... MS-20mini for less than $360... it just goes on and on.
Secondly, @K2000, this is my variation of the Marsellus Wallace quote, "You're going to feel a sting. That's the price. PRICE DOES MATTER!". So many of my impulsive gear acquisitions were dictated by price. Honestly, I would love some Trogotronic stuff but... what they do... for the price... and other stuff on the second hand market... I just could not live with myself.

Secondly, this is no longer 'The Avant Garde cool Kids Club". There is more than clearly, blatantly obvious, an increased/growing interest in synthesizers on this forum. I figured we can repurpose this to a sort of 'Fixed Architecture Synth' GENERAL. I think the dedicated threads per brand are great, namely the Behringer one... I just think there can also be a place for people to post their musings and any demos they found intriguing.

I know there is the 'Let's See Your Synths' thread... that can be used for pictures of set ups. This is more re-posting other people's work / discussion. And of course pictures.

I watched an interview with vinyljunkie07 today. Compelling stuff. Makes me wish I was a propah English Chap wit my m8s instead of this in-bread white trash Jersey hick. We take youtubers / synth people for granted these days. There are so many. People aspire just to be a pedal demoer or synth demoer. I like to look back to a simpler time... back in the days before twitter (not true actually, same with tumblr), before Edward Snowden, before Windows 8, before trigger warnings, before Gaddafi died... the days of the OG synth youtubers. The lads who had no idea of what they were getting themselves into.

Sit back, hang tight, fill your pipe with something you like... and come with me to the land of 240p (and not the p that gets u a bag of crisps).
NSFW: show

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WrWDW-Du-s8
Here was the interview... one of the take-a-ways for me was, "Oh right... there was time when getting hardware synths WAS cheaper than getting a computer... fugggggggggg"

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Xj2kzuz-xMc

DO EVERYONE A FAVOR... IF U B POST'IN VIDEOS, put the embedded link in NSFW -> Copy and paste the actual link below. I don't make the rules but it just makes this shit easier for everyone and the shit loads faster.
"SWIPE LEFT ASSHOLE!" -retinal orbita
"Whatever ASSHOLE here’s my pedal that makes humpback whale noises and also it has a built in sequencer so stick it in your craw! -retinal orbita
"Patty Mullen takes me from a ball peen to a sledge" -The Great Velvet Hammer
"...at this exact moment Divine has learned of your jealous scheme from the local town gossip. She also has your address, ASS HOLE!" -Narrator (Mr. J) PINK FLAMINGOS
1 bird per post please
$harkToootth

IAMILFFAMOUS
IAMILFFAMOUS

Postby gila_crisis » Mon Nov 11, 2019 6:21 am

K2000 wrote:I bought a JMT synth last week, the DNVO-1. It was insanely expensive ($360) compared to what it's meant to replace: a Realistic (radio shack) reverb used as a feedback loop with a PM-7 in the loop (together that cost like $60). Lots of great noises and textures available in that feedback loop, but also a lot of unpredictability and some sour /embarrassing noises too. It's capable of getting incredibly loud and shrill (and not always in a good way). Now I have to decide if I'm keeping the JMT or return it for the restocking fee. Price shouldn't matter (I guess?) but it does matter to me. Also not sure if I would like a different JMT box better. A lot of uncertainty related to this purchase. It is a super nice little unit but I would like it a lot better at half the price. Maybe that's wrong headed.

I love JMT! I have 2 their boxes: SNB2b and a NF.
Great machines, super powerful, with a huge/loud output volume, super intense and very easy to (ab)use. These never stops to amaze me.
I was also wondering about getting a NVO2, but I better stop, eheheh.
gila_crisis

experienced
experienced

Postby odontophobia » Mon Nov 11, 2019 7:29 am

spacelordmother wrote:
D.o.S. wrote:I gave mine to ugly Cass.

And, running parallel to the Hey Everyone thread, I'm not looking for software for this one (I have a bunch of softsynths if I want to do that)

Mighty kind of you.

To each their own of course, but it's only software until you make it hardware. I'll go back in my hole now.

Axholeloti.

I have nothing else to contribute.
odontophobia

Supporter
Supporter

Re: Post-Meta_Horizon: FIXED ARCHITECTURE SYNTH GENERAL

Postby spacelordmother » Mon Nov 11, 2019 8:56 am

Buy a synth.
spacelordmother

HERO
HERO

Postby crochambeau » Mon Nov 11, 2019 12:27 pm

spacelordmother wrote:Buy a synth.

Why stop at one?
I've got to get off my ass and bring to reality that what has been quoted through existence.

Rochambeau Musical Apparatus
Reverb storefront
Shark Tank
crochambeau

IAMILF
IAMILF

Postby Psyre » Mon Nov 11, 2019 3:10 pm

Decided to sell my Clariphonic/SSL six (whichever goes first) to fund a 101. I was still thinking about selling off way more to go for a system 100m, but I dig fixed architecture stuff more. Atleast at this point in my life- I do.
Psyre

IAMILF
IAMILF

Postby Psyre » Thu Nov 14, 2019 7:16 pm

Just felt that I should post an update to that prior post....so no one is concerned...I ordered a 101!

image000001.gif
image000001.gif (919.53 KiB) Viewed 2728 times
Psyre

IAMILF
IAMILF

Postby $harkToootth » Thu Nov 14, 2019 8:01 pm

I wasn't concerned. I was sure you were going to do what is best 4 u.
Psyre wrote:I dig fixed architecture stuff more. At least at this point in my life- I do.

This is me to a T.
"Whatever ASSHOLE here’s my pedal that makes humpback whale noises and also it has a built in sequencer so stick it in your craw! -retinal orbita
"...at this exact moment Divine has learned of your jealous scheme from the local town gossip. She also has your address, ASS HOLE!" -Narrator (Mr. J) PINK FLAMINGOS
1 bird per post please
$harkToootth

IAMILFFAMOUS
IAMILFFAMOUS

Postby $harkToootth » Fri Nov 15, 2019 8:22 pm

Some classics up in Philly. SH 1000 for $600.
1 bird per post please
$harkToootth

IAMILFFAMOUS
IAMILFFAMOUS

Postby $harkToootth » Fri Nov 15, 2019 11:42 pm

Pittsburgh folks.. I saw a Wavestation SR for $150 in your area. That's A LOT of synth.
This is a phenomenal price for a LYRA 8. It's Perfect Circuit too so it's free shipping.
In other news... posted in the other thread. TD-3 is only $150.
So much going on here.
1 bird per post please
$harkToootth

IAMILFFAMOUS
IAMILFFAMOUS

Postby $harkToootth » Fri Nov 15, 2019 11:46 pm

A noise synth / pedal. I went to High School with the guy who makes these!
Moffenzeef [INTENSIFIES] Distortion + Noise Synth
1 bird per post please
$harkToootth

IAMILFFAMOUS
IAMILFFAMOUS

Postby $harkToootth » Fri Nov 15, 2019 11:54 pm

I should have searched b4 but I'm a soy boy. What sorts of expressive controllers are people using with their hardware?
I'm looking at the Sensel Morph with the various overlays.
1 bird per post please
$harkToootth

IAMILFFAMOUS
IAMILFFAMOUS

Postby $harkToootth » Sun Nov 17, 2019 6:25 pm

This is still easily one of the most impressive feats I have seen in the synth youtube-verse. I've been a fan of Velokitty from the start (his dark ambient jams are the things that convinced me to pull the plug and get an MS-20mini [the person on craigslists price also contributed :lol: ]. This is the video where he became a Super Saiyan though.
Velokitty doing a cover of APHEX TWIN('s masterpiece) - 'xmas_evet10 [120] (thanaton3 mix)' with just the MS-20m for everything but percussion (he used sound samples from other kits but sequences them with an Arturia Sparkle... which is a feat unto itself :lol: ).

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qeJUkf2cKs8
1 bird per post please
$harkToootth

IAMILFFAMOUS
IAMILFFAMOUS

Postby $harkToootth » Mon Nov 18, 2019 1:14 pm

King Jexus provides another gift to his commoners.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pn12aqvopYI
EDIT: I know this is big claim, but I honestly think this is one his best ever.
1 bird per post please
$harkToootth

IAMILFFAMOUS
IAMILFFAMOUS

PreviousNext

Return to General Gear