Post-Meta_Horizon: FIXED ARCHITECTURE SYNTH GENERAL

Moderator: Ghost Hip

Re: Post-Meta_Horizon: FIXED ARCHITECTURE SYNTH GENERAL

Postby spacelordmother » Mon Oct 26, 2020 8:20 am

$harkToootth wrote:I promise I didn't take it as such. I was just making fun of my inarticulate sentiments.
I like to pretend I know you pretty well. "Contrarian" is not your nature. You have a really cool website by the way. Not just saying it because of this exchange. You can ask our mutual friends I'm in a discord with.
All is well here!

Well, it was just a couplefew snarky posts in a row :lol: Thanks for the kind words!

Psyre wrote:Well, I recently acquired a JX-3P in less than stellar condition and have given it loads of tender loving. It's still getting over the neglect, but we have become life partners. My adoration for the JX-3P + my need for midi to CV/Gate conversion led me to purchase an A-01... turns out there is a cute story/interview with the lead engineer of the JX-3P and how he developed the 8bit/8kb VA synth post-retirement and how when a Roland employee saw it at a trade show, knew exactly what developing project it would be perfect for.

That's really cool about the connection of the JX-3P and A-01. 3P is a pretty fun synth, but yeah editing is sort of a pain unless you have the PG200.
spacelordmother

HERO
HERO

Postby Dandolin » Mon Oct 26, 2020 10:06 am

this guy has been slowly but steadily adding synths to his ipad/mac patch editor app, Patch Base - maybe at some point he'll have something for the JX-3P....

https://coffeeshopped.com/patch-base

He does have something for the 8P, but I understand their programmers aren't mutually functional :idk: Anyway - he seems to have some kind've voting mechanism for what editors he tackles next....

Also has a "Sysex Base"

:snax:
"In a moment of unparalleled genius, Noel Parachute headed off this potential disaster by unplugging the microphone."
Dandolin

IAMILFFAMOUS
IAMILFFAMOUS

Postby Psyre » Mon Oct 26, 2020 10:17 am

spacelordmother wrote:That's really cool about the connection of the JX-3P and A-01. 3P is a pretty fun synth, but yeah editing is sort of a pain unless you have the PG200.

It has quickly become my favorite synth based on programming it WITHOUT the pg-200! I actually love having to be intentional with which parameter which is has a lot less of than similar single slider synths I've had in the past (esq-1 and dx7) only took about 3 days to memorize each of the 32 parameters as their corresponding bank/#. I get that there are times that simultaneously adjusting 2 parameters may find some sweet spots, but I get that fix from sh-101 and System-8.
Then again, I even enjoy programming my Orville from the front panel....
I was using the Jx-3p emulation on the system 8 more than any of the others, but in a head to head, the S8 couldn't get the low end thump or the airy sheen of the upper frequency quite like the real one. Freed up the S8 for it's (much more powerful) native engine.
Psyre

IAMILF
IAMILF

Postby Psyre » Mon Oct 26, 2020 10:21 am

Dandolin wrote:this guy has been slowly but steadily adding synths to his ipad/mac patch editor app, Patch Base - maybe at some point he'll have something for the JX-3P....

https://coffeeshopped.com/patch-base

He does have something for the 8P, but I understand their programmers aren't mutually functional :idk: Anyway - he seems to have some kind've voting mechanism for what editors he tackles next....

Also has a "Sysex Base"

:snax:

Yeah, I've used a few of his editors in the past, MC-505, JV's, Ensoniq, Yamaha offerings, pretty much hate touch screens as a control surface, got burned out quickly due to the Integra-7's real time "supernatural" VA editor.
Honestly couldn't be happier with the ease of programming via intent and a fader. Programming without the PG-200 offers a couple extra modulation options as well. I think a lot of the notorious frustration in programming the jx without the PG comes from aging switches. When I first got it, it took a couple presses, but after replacing the "sensitivity" fader and all the tact switches related to programming (bank A and B + 1-16) it's been smoof sailing. Went ahead and ordered enough switches to replace all the rest too, just don't want to dive back in again quite yet.

The biggest appeal with the JX-3P fir me is the trigger able polyphonic step sequence. I have 2 setups, one is midi-less and ran solely with triggers, I was pulling the S8 back and forth for pads, but now the JX is designated pads for that midi-less set up. Just really enjoy stepping all the sequencers all on their own pattern from 1-2 drum machines
Last edited by Psyre on Mon Oct 26, 2020 10:41 am, edited 1 time in total.
Psyre

IAMILF
IAMILF

Postby Dandolin » Mon Oct 26, 2020 10:34 am

:thumb:
i sometimes wonder about this new customizable faderfox dealie as well....
Last edited by Dandolin on Mon Oct 26, 2020 11:14 am, edited 1 time in total.
"In a moment of unparalleled genius, Noel Parachute headed off this potential disaster by unplugging the microphone."
Dandolin

IAMILFFAMOUS
IAMILFFAMOUS

Postby crochambeau » Mon Oct 26, 2020 11:04 am

I'm not ready to embrace touch screens (or Apple products) as an interface to synths, but being able to sequence parameter changes is a big deal.

Looks like I need to consider the Tauntek firmware mods for my Akai synths (I saw the AX73 listed in the "vote for your synths" section, and to my knowledge the OEM architecture does not support external control).

I love this thread, and I have a habit of letting my mind wander about all the cool synths on the market these days (Peak and Hydra are checking some boxes), but ultimately I should use the synths I already have more.

grumble grumble grumble
I've got to get off my ass and bring to reality that what has been quoted through existence.

Rochambeau Musical Apparatus
Reverb storefront
Shark Tank
crochambeau

IAMILF
IAMILF

Postby behndy » Mon Oct 26, 2020 11:11 am

Dandolin wrote::thumb:
i sometimes winder about this new customizable faderfox dealie as well....

i have one, really just to use with the ES-9. it is neaaaat. tiny, and fuck yes programmable labels
Eric! wrote:YOU'RE like having two pedals in one
with your...momentary fuck switch and all..

theactionindex wrote:QUADRACOCK BEHNDERFUCK

music, videos, in progress - http://www.youtube.com/c/behndy

okay, Plan B - PANICImage
behndy

Supporter
Supporter

Postby Dandolin » Mon Oct 26, 2020 11:14 am

noice :thumb:
Dandolin

IAMILFFAMOUS
IAMILFFAMOUS

Postby Psyre » Mon Oct 26, 2020 12:50 pm

Have only heard great things about the faderfox controllers. There is also a Peavey PC1600 that supports sysex and CC control. Has knobs and faders both.

I've been curious what aquisition led to it, sort of has an E-mu vibe.
Psyre

IAMILF
IAMILF

Postby spacelordmother » Mon Oct 26, 2020 1:04 pm

Seen this one though :love:

https://electra.one/
spacelordmother

HERO
HERO

Postby MrNovember » Mon Oct 26, 2020 1:45 pm

That thing looks great! It would really help with programming my DX7. Might make the Digitakt a little more accessible too
MrNovember

Modulae of BILF
Modulae of BILF

Postby Psyre » Mon Oct 26, 2020 1:52 pm

MrNovember wrote:That thing looks great! It would really help with programming my DX7. Might make the Digitakt a little more accessible too

Not sure if you have the OG DX7 or DX7ii, but the OG does not respond well to real time parameter changes via external midi, it has a pretty small buffer, pretty much have to send entire patches out from something like dexed.
Psyre

IAMILF
IAMILF

Postby MrNovember » Mon Oct 26, 2020 1:56 pm

Psyre wrote:
MrNovember wrote:That thing looks great! It would really help with programming my DX7. Might make the Digitakt a little more accessible too

Not sure if you have the OG DX7 or DX7ii, but the OG does not respond well to real time parameter changes via external midi, it has a pretty small buffer, pretty much have to send entire patches out from something like dexed.

Good to know, I have the original so I guess this may not work. I have gotten pretty good at programming it; it's not nearly as difficult as it's made out to be.
MrNovember

Modulae of BILF
Modulae of BILF

Postby Dandolin » Mon Oct 26, 2020 3:15 pm

oh yes :love:
Dandolin

IAMILFFAMOUS
IAMILFFAMOUS

Postby Psyre » Mon Oct 26, 2020 3:29 pm

MrNovember wrote:
Psyre wrote:

Good to know, I have the original so I guess this may not work. I have gotten pretty good at programming it; it's not nearly as difficult as it's made out to be.

I've learned just over the past year or 2 that nothing ever is. It's mainly the people that post abt their gear more than program it that perpetuate those myths. Kept me away from the Octatrack longer than I should have let it, Octatrack has since become one of the most intuitive pieces of gear I've ever used. The problem is...one must have an idea to pursue :animal:
Psyre

IAMILF
IAMILF

PreviousNext

Return to General Gear