Swapping reverb tanks

Moderator: Ghost Hip

Swapping reverb tanks

Postby popvulture » Thu Jun 29, 2017 2:28 pm

I've got a Carr Mercury (previous EL34 version, not the new V) that I love, but imo the reverb is kind of a little too washy and doesn't have a lot of character.

It's a MOD tank, I believe the long 16.75" version based on a rough measurement through the back of the amp without really getting in there. I know that the impedance has to match, but can anybody tell me anything about swapping reverb tanks? Any experiences you've had? I'd love the reverb to be a little more Fender-y... any brands out there that cover that territory better? Does Fender make their own tanks for their current amps?

THANX DUDERS.
neonblack wrote:They say tone is in the hooks

D.o.S. wrote:I'm pretty sure moderation leads to Mustang Sally.

coldbrightsunlight wrote:Yes I am a soppy pop person at heart I think with noises round the edge

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JphJfwsUbT4
popvulture

IAMILFFAMOUS
IAMILFFAMOUS

Re: Swapping reverb tanks

Postby crochambeau » Thu Jun 29, 2017 3:00 pm

The classic Fender sound came from U.S. manufactured Accutronics (NLA, except through old stock). Here's an article to get you started:

https://www.tubesandmore.com/tech-corne ... d-compared

Honestly, if you find something in your travels, I would not hesitate to just plug it in and listen to it. Severe impedance mismatch is generally not tonally pleasing, and a short stay shouldn't harm anything.

I don't have first hand experience with a lot of tanks, but I'd consider decoding what you have (through part number) and either selecting something with a shorter decay, or just going from a three to a two spring (if applicable). It really is a personal taste thing...
I've got to get off my ass and bring to reality that what has been quoted through existence.

Rochambeau Musical Apparatus
Reverb storefront
Shark Tank
crochambeau

IAMILF
IAMILF

Postby Muff_Diver » Thu Jun 29, 2017 3:11 pm

The tank market is pretty small;mod, accutronics and belton are it, I believe. Its possible the reverb circuit has more to do with the sound than the tank itself. I use a new MOD tank in my twin and it has the expected fender sound.
Because it is a physical part, maybe try altering it physically? If it has 3 springs, try it with 2. Add some cardboard to the bottom if it isn't already there, or some rubber grommets between the tank and the cab.
Muff_Diver

experienced
experienced

Postby popvulture » Thu Jun 29, 2017 4:29 pm

Muff_Diver wrote:Its possible the reverb circuit has more to do with the sound than the tank itself. I use a new MOD tank in my twin and it has the expected fender sound.

Hmmm I indeed wondered about this. I'll take a look at the tank and see how many springs it has. It's really kind of weird the way it is now—it's almost more like a hall verb sound than spring. Doesn't have any "drip" at all, or whatever you'd call it... generally dampened feeling, no spring texture.

I'll also email Carr and see what he says—maybe he could answer some questions about the character of the circuit.

coldbrightsunlight wrote:Yes I am a soppy pop person at heart I think with noises round the edge

popvulture

IAMILFFAMOUS
IAMILFFAMOUS

Postby repoman » Thu Jun 29, 2017 5:32 pm

Usually upgrading the tank has to deal with the length, IE going from a 9 inch tank to a 16 inch one which will make the verb sound bigger/deeper/more lush. Outside of that, its mostly up to the circuit. If you already have a 16 inch tank, I kind of doubt going to something like a accutronics will change the sound much if at all.
F U T U R E G A M E R
repoman

IAMILF
IAMILF

Postby ratrod » Thu Jun 29, 2017 6:05 pm

This is a goldmine of spring tank info:

https://www.amplifiedparts.com/tech-cor ... d-compared

You can decode the tank you have and see if you have a short, medium, or long decay, see what impedance you need, etc.
ratrod

committed
committed

Postby friendship » Thu Jun 29, 2017 6:39 pm

i'm just here to say MECHANICAL REVERB FOREVER
sound journal

actualidiot wrote:12-bit's almost analog, right?
friendship

IAMILFFAMOUS
IAMILFFAMOUS

Postby Kacey Y » Fri Jun 30, 2017 11:56 am

I changed out the spring pan in my SurfyBear FET reverb, from a MOD to an Accutronics and it fixed the problem of the decay being too long and dark for me. There should be a model number right on the pan. It's the same model, regardless of manufacturer. So just plug that into Google and order something. It's plug and play, they're super easy to swap out. All the specs are contained in the model number, I think, so there shouldn't be any compatibility issues at all.
Last edited by Kacey Y on Fri Jun 30, 2017 4:51 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Appalachian Queer Punk Moms Local 138
Kacey Y

IAMILF
IAMILF

Postby popvulture » Fri Jun 30, 2017 12:05 pm

Corey Y wrote:It's the same model, regardless of manufacturer.

Ha, really? I kinda love that.

popvulture

IAMILFFAMOUS
IAMILFFAMOUS

Postby Kacey Y » Fri Jun 30, 2017 4:50 pm

popvulture wrote:Ha, really? I kinda love that.

Yeah, I was pleasantly surprised by that too.
Appalachian Queer Punk Moms Local 138
Kacey Y

IAMILF
IAMILF

Return to General Gear