Interesting bass rig [GORGUTS]

Moderator: Ghost Hip

Interesting bass rig [GORGUTS]

Postby Garmonbozia » Wed Jun 21, 2017 1:01 pm

I caught a last minute Gorguts show here in Austin last week and the bass player (also in Krallice, Behold the Arctopus, et al.) had an interesting setup: not sure of the signal chain but he played a massive six-string bass into some config of a Roland JC-120 stacked on a very nice V4 stacked on a no-name 2x12 with some sort of rack EQ on top of it all. He had a pretty minimal pedalboard with a Boss MT-2 and some others. The JC-120 is the piece that intrigued me mostly because I don't see metal/hxc musicians playing these very often if ever let alone at a freakin death metal show. I know they are supposed to have amazing clean tone so, perhaps he is using a bi-amp set up with the JC for cleans and the V4 for dirt? Anybody have insight into how one might run this setup for playing bass in a tech-death band? Just wondering is all..
Garmonbozia

uncommitted
uncommitted

Re: Interesting bass rig [GORGUTS]

Postby whoismarykelly » Wed Jun 21, 2017 1:42 pm

Probably more traditional biamping of frequencies rather than tones. I know dude was using a similar setup with BTA and running the different outs of his Warr guitar to different rigs.
whoismarykelly

FAMOUS
FAMOUS

Postby Dungus » Wed Jun 21, 2017 1:59 pm

Colin rules. Also check out Dysrhythmia.

I cordially invite you to fuck right off and let the rest of us talk about music like adults.- dubkitty
Dungus

FAMOUS
FAMOUS

Postby Garmonbozia » Wed Jun 21, 2017 2:40 pm

whoismarykelly wrote:Probably more traditional biamping of frequencies rather than tones. I know dude was using a similar setup with BTA and running the different outs of his Warr guitar to different rigs.

Now that I look through google images I see he runs different variations of this set up pretty often. I need to read up more on biamping because I honestly only have a vague concept of what it actually is. All I know is it sounded fucking fantastic! I've seen Krallice and Dysrythmia and his tone is always impeccable. The JC tripped me out though, a unique set-up indeed!
Garmonbozia

uncommitted
uncommitted

Postby whoismarykelly » Wed Jun 21, 2017 2:59 pm

Biamping is more often a PA practice than anything else. Send specific frequency ranges to cabinets that are meant to handle them and you get more efficiency and higher performance. It used to be common in bass rigs when speakers weren't great at reproducing a wide frequency range. For hybrid instruments like a stick it's still pretty common if the player doesn't use a FRFR system.
whoismarykelly

FAMOUS
FAMOUS

Postby goroth » Wed Jun 21, 2017 4:21 pm

Colin uses the same rig for his bass and warr guitar and everything. He has the fridge to bring the lows, and the JC and the metal zone and a delay for highs and stuff. He doesn't use a crossover or anything, just utilises the natural attenuation of the JC120.

It's the best bass sound I've heard live, and is one of my favourite bass sounds recorded.
He's the best.

And he mastered my album, which may get released soon if we ever finish the artwork.
Me total fanboy.
ALLisNOISE wrote:you can dial in some wonderfully smeared 12bit cascades of cicadas leveling a hail of rockets against an army of rusty box fans!

Latest album out on all streaming services and bandcamp and what not.
Spotify /// Apple Music
My band /// Instagram ///Bandcamp ///
goroth

HERO
HERO

Postby K2000 » Thu Jun 22, 2017 5:10 pm

goroth wrote: He doesn't use a crossover or anything, just utilises the natural attenuation of the JC120.

Are you sure? I would expect some type of crossover or a way to filter out low frequencies. If you send loud, low B tones into a JC120, I would expect to blow speakers.

It's possible that the JC120 has some sort of high pass filter built into the circuit. Me not smart, but something like that exists in PA amps and other electronics (rolls off anything below 20Hz). He might also dial out the lows with the amp's EQ?
K2000

Supporter
Supporter

Postby whoismarykelly » Thu Jun 22, 2017 5:31 pm

K2000 wrote:
goroth wrote: He doesn't use a crossover or anything, just utilises the natural attenuation of the JC120.

Are you sure? I would expect some type of crossover or a way to filter out low frequencies. If you send loud, low B tones into a JC120, I would expect to blow speakers.

It's possible that the JC120 has some sort of high pass filter built into the circuit. Me not smart, but something like that exists in PA amps and other electronics (rolls off anything below 20Hz). He might also dial out the lows with the amp's EQ?

If he's always running gain its probably not an issue as the peaks wont be that high. Clean transients could blow speakers with a solid state amp because clipping puts DC on the speakers but if its always distorted before hitting the amp it wouldn't be dangerous.
whoismarykelly

FAMOUS
FAMOUS

Postby goroth » Fri Jun 23, 2017 3:36 am

Yeah, metalzone has a pretty heavy rolloff. I'm not sure however if he uses it all the time.

But I haven't found a mention of a crossover anywhere, and didn't see one in his rig...
I shall research.
ALLisNOISE wrote:you can dial in some wonderfully smeared 12bit cascades of cicadas leveling a hail of rockets against an army of rusty box fans!

Spotify /// Apple Music
goroth

HERO
HERO

Postby odontophobia » Fri Jun 23, 2017 12:47 pm

I read in an interview that he has an overall general distortion that goes to the whole rig. He uses a Boss PS-3 to split the signal and has additional dirt (MT-2) and Delay going to the Jazz Chorus.
odontophobia

Supporter
Supporter

Postby GardenoftheDead » Fri Jun 23, 2017 3:42 pm

http://geargods.net/interviews/death-fa ... n-marston/

he talks about his bass rig here.

He's only using a passive neck pickup on his basses so there's not much danger to not having a crossover. Remember: It's not the frequency that blows speakers, it's the attack.
GardenoftheDead

IAMILF
IAMILF

Postby Pete » Fri Jun 23, 2017 10:35 pm

I have nothing to add to this thread, other than to say I'm seeing Gorguts tomorrow, and am stoked.
Pete

experienced
experienced

Postby goroth » Sat Jun 24, 2017 3:27 pm

Pete wrote:I have nothing to add to this thread, other than to say I'm seeing Gorguts tomorrow, and am stoked.

Lucky man!

Are Dysrhythmia playing as well?

Spotify /// Apple Music
goroth

HERO
HERO

Postby goroth » Tue Jun 27, 2017 12:47 am

I just got an email from Colin - he said no crossover, both amps running full range. Rig exactly as described in the interview Garden posted.

How was the gig Pete?

Spotify /// Apple Music
goroth

HERO
HERO

Next

Return to General Gear