Who's got a Boonar? (besides Jwar)

Moderator: Ghost Hip

Who's got a Boonar? (besides Jwar)

Postby popvulture » Wed May 24, 2017 10:51 pm

I did some searching and it looks like Nora and Echorec (fittingly) have em? Who else? Do y'all like em? Care to elaborate?

I still want a second delay that's good for longer settings. Had a Timeline but sold it (too Strymon-y, too much shit going on), thought about picking up a Nemesis but think that might have the same too-much-shit problem, albeit a little less. With that in mind, I've thought about just focusing on something with a general ballpark that I like... Echorec territory fits that bill. Curious to hear some experiences.
neonblack wrote:They say tone is in the hooks

D.o.S. wrote:I'm pretty sure moderation leads to Mustang Sally.

coldbrightsunlight wrote:Yes I am a soppy pop person at heart I think with noises round the edge

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JphJfwsUbT4
popvulture

IAMILFFAMOUS
IAMILFFAMOUS

Re: Who's got a Boonar? (besides Jwar)

Postby comesect2.0 » Thu May 25, 2017 1:56 am

noice. :snax:
comesect2.0

IAMILFFAMOUS
IAMILFFAMOUS

Postby echorec » Thu May 25, 2017 8:54 am

In a stable of about 30 delays, the Boonar is definitely one of my favorites. Because of the multi-head controls, it's a much more realistic emulation of the original Echorec machines.

For ethereal washes and vintage-flavored repeats, it's hard to beat. I love multi-head delays, because of the cascade you get when the repeats cycle through. The Boonar's great with modulation, dirt, and really anything I've paired it with.

I liked the Nemesis. It was one of the best multi-mode delays I've used---intuitive, immediate results, good variety, unique engines. I didn't feel there was any learning curve, but I never got into customizing it or modifying the delay engines with the software.

I can't remember if you had a bad experience with the Empress Reverb, but now that the Echosystem is out, you can get a brand new Superdelay for about $250 ($299 list + sale code, originally $450). There's also the TC Alter Ego X4, which I own 2 of (I really like the Copicat and Space Echo modes, the Echorec banks aren't bad, but not as good as the Catalinbread or the Boonar). Rounding out tape emulators and vintage tributes, the RE-20 always deserves a mention.

If you're wanting to strip things down and go with something gritty and warm, I've enjoyed the DM-2W. I originally thought I'd flip it, but it hasn't disappointed me at all. Moving away from tape/BBD, I love the DIG. It's the best pedal Strymon's done IMO. I think because it's digital mimicking digital, and it doesn't contain any silly, artificial artifacts you find in digital devices trying to mirror analog. The DIG can do long or short repeats, and it could probably do any genre. I feel it's much richer and fuller than the Capistan or any of the other Strymons I've owned (Ola, Orbit, Mobius). The sound is somewhere in-between analog and digital I guess, because it's warm, but still retains a bright character. With the 3 sub-modes and the separate delay engines, there's definitely some flexibility with the voicings, but it's nothing like mastering/staying familiar with a 5-10 mode delay. ----Well those are some standouts that come to mind. Hope that's helpful.
echorec

IAMILFFAMOUS
IAMILFFAMOUS

Postby popvulture » Thu May 25, 2017 9:29 am

Thanks, man! Definitely helpful!

Yep, I had a lame experience with Empress—got a dud and received few-fucks customer service, so I returned it and got something else. Might go back to them someday if they fix a couple things, because I really like the sound.

That's cool re: the Waza, hadn't even thought of that one. For some reason I think I forgot that it can do longer delay times—my short delay on my board is an AD-9, so it'd be a super similar pedal if it were still just 300ms. I do want something with a little modulation though, so that's why I'm gravitating towards the Boonar. It seems to do a good job of getting natural warble vs. the seemingly ubiquitous phenomenon of modulation in delay pedals that just sounds like a shitty chorus added to the mix.

I've checked out the DIG before, based on your love for it in previous posts. It really is killer... I think I've just held off on it because it's more than I need. Definitely have nearly pulled the trigger a few times, and still keeping my eyes peeled for a Craigslist deal.

coldbrightsunlight wrote:Yes I am a soppy pop person at heart I think with noises round the edge

popvulture

IAMILFFAMOUS
IAMILFFAMOUS

Postby manymanyhaha » Thu May 25, 2017 2:23 pm

popvulture wrote:and received few-fucks customer service

I believe that is also called the "latex glove" customer service
manymanyhaha

FAMOUS
FAMOUS

Postby Chankgeez » Thu May 25, 2017 3:17 pm

psychic vampire. wrote:The important take away from this thread: Taoism and Ring Modulators go together?
…...........................…
Sweet dealin's: here
"Now, of course, Strega is not a Minimoog… and I am not Sun Ra" - dude from MAKENOISE
#GreenRinger
Chankgeez

IAMILFFAMOUS
IAMILFFAMOUS

Location: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FGhbeHujNZQ youtube.com/watch?v=V-2l7kkBURc

Postby echorec » Thu May 25, 2017 5:44 pm

Just updated the 2017 thread with this guy. As a delay enthusiast and an Echorec advocate, my initial thoughts are quite favorable.

echorec

IAMILFFAMOUS
IAMILFFAMOUS

Postby popvulture » Thu May 25, 2017 7:51 pm

Ooh nice, watching...

popvulture

IAMILFFAMOUS
IAMILFFAMOUS

Postby popvulture » Thu May 25, 2017 8:01 pm

That sounds pretty damn good, and it's significantly cheaper than the Boonar. That said, I like the sound of the latter better, and the controls... man I wish I could A/B the two in person though.

Do you have one yet, Echorec, or are your initial thoughts based on the demo? The one thing that might be a problem with this one for me is the same thing that drives me crazy about the Catalinbread—I wish the damn mode knob was stepped. I'm not totally OCD, but definitely a little, and that kinda makes me nuts. Can't tell if the Keeley is the same way, but based on the description it sounds like it...

I really like some of Keeley's delay offerings though, especially the short territory. I just got a good deal on a 30ms Double Tracker on Reverb, should come tomorrow :thumb:

popvulture

IAMILFFAMOUS
IAMILFFAMOUS

Postby echorec » Thu May 25, 2017 8:29 pm

popvulture wrote:That sounds pretty damn good, and it's significantly cheaper than the Boonar. That said, I like the sound of the latter better, and the controls... man I wish I could A/B the two in person though.

Do you have one yet, Echorec, or are your initial thoughts based on the demo? The one thing that might be a problem with this one for me is the same thing that drives me crazy about the Catalinbread—I wish the damn mode knob was stepped. I'm not totally OCD, but definitely a little, and that kinda makes me nuts. Can't tell if the Keeley is the same way, but based on the description it sounds like it...

I really like some of Keeley's delay offerings though, especially the short territory. I just got a good deal on a 30ms Double Tracker on Reverb, should come tomorrow :thumb:

Not yet, that demo just dropped today. They only unveiled it two days ago. I plan to pick one up soon though, as I can't say "no" to those nice chunky rhythms you get, when the repeats bounce across the various heads (virtually/artificially). Binson-inspired stuff is quite pleasing on guitars, piano loops, and percussive synth patterns. It just seems to fill the space better, based on my personal preferences.

Another thing I like about the Echoes is that they got away from faux chorus embellishments and deliberately gave users more exotic and weirder modulation (as well as the up-position straight mode). ---I use the 30ms, too. I want to get an Abbey from them to complement it.

As far as the mode pot, I do think it's (linear?) and not stepped. I'm not sure if that's partly because of the chip/interface, in order to keep costs/programming more streamlined. I've gotten used to it, but like you, I do prefer a hard stop, rather than an accidental drift on the cusp of two different sub-modes.
echorec

IAMILFFAMOUS
IAMILFFAMOUS

Postby popvulture » Fri May 26, 2017 11:53 am

On the 30ms peripheral topic... just received mine and holy shit it's a great sounding pedal. I double track solos all the time in Logic, and the pedal really does a damn impressive job of nailing that sound.

popvulture

IAMILFFAMOUS
IAMILFFAMOUS

Return to General Gear