Race to the pedalboard: An Axoloti Adventure

Moderator: Ghost Hip

Re: Race to the pedalboard: An Axoloti Adventure

Postby spacelordmother » Thu Apr 18, 2019 9:09 am

UglyCasanova wrote:Late to the party. Way late. Ordered a Core to mess around with. I have an idea. A cunning plan. I suck at programming stuff, but I'm quite stubborn, so it might work out in the end. :lol:

In terms of hardware, what pots/stomps/buttons/etc did you use? Any specific pots in particular, resistance wise?

#oneofus

Programming really isn't too too hard depending on how deep you're planning to go. I am not a coder and found it mostly intuitive coming from a pedalboard/synth background. Still -- it's easy to start with some simple things and pick up speed as you work towards this cunning plan. The Axo forum is your friend, along with the libraries:
http://www.privatepublic.de/public/factory-objectlist.html http://www.privatepublic.de/public/community-objectlist.html

I used 25k linear and momentary soft stomps from Mammoth, LED buttons from Adafruit, chinese encoders and OLED screens I found on Amazon. Seems to be pretty flexible in terms of making things work. Let me/us know if you get stuck.

The official answer is: "Use a potentiometer with a resistance in between 10kOhm and 100kOhm. Linear taper."
spacelordmother

HERO
HERO

Postby odontophobia » Thu Apr 18, 2019 9:10 am

UglyCasanova wrote:Late to the party. Way late. Ordered a Core to mess around with. I have an idea. A cunning plan. I suck at programming stuff, but I'm quite stubborn, so it might work out in the end. :lol:

In terms of hardware, what pots/stomps/buttons/etc did you use? Any specific pots in particular, resistance wise?

I can pull up my part order.

Doing some clean up with kiddo but I’ll try to track it down.
odontophobia

Supporter
Supporter

Postby odontophobia » Thu Apr 18, 2019 9:17 am

Pots: Mammoth or Alpha PotentiometerLinear (B)16mm Single GangSolder Lug - B25K

Stomps: Momentary SPST NC "Soft-Touch"

Also, the pre-wired LED with bezel and with built in CLR from love my switches works great.

Also, things I learned from SLM, breadboard headers and then breadboard pinout wires make really quick work of the wiring and allow for future expansions, should you want to do so.
odontophobia

Supporter
Supporter

Postby spacelordmother » Thu Apr 18, 2019 9:33 am

odontophobia wrote:Also, things I learned from SLM, breadboard headers and then breadboard pinout wires make really quick work of the wiring and allow for future expansions, should you want to do so.

True! Also - using solid core wire to run gang connections for power and/or ground as needed per component type.

spacelordmother

HERO
HERO

Postby Gone Fission » Thu Apr 18, 2019 9:39 am

odontophobia wrote:Also, the pre-wired LED with bezel and with built in CLR from love my switches works great.

Didn’t know that was a thing. Just lurking this thread, so this is awesome to know about for other DIY. (My heat shrink wasn’t shrinking last time I point-to-pointed a CLR in a fuzz.)
D.o.S. wrote:Broadly speaking, if we at ILF are dropping 300 bucks on a pedal it probably sounds like an SNES holocaust.
friendship wrote:death to false bleep-blop
UglyCasanova wrote:brb gonna slap my dick on my stomp boxes
Gone Fission

IAMILFFAMOUS
IAMILFFAMOUS

Postby UglyCasanova » Thu Apr 18, 2019 1:52 pm

Thank you all for the info! :group:

I will be sure to ask you all the stupid questions I will undoubtedly have. :lol: :joy:
UglyCasanova

IAMILFFAMOUS
IAMILFFAMOUS

Postby UglyCasanova » Fri May 03, 2019 5:47 pm

Got my Core the other day. This thing is crazy powerful! Slowly getting a grasp of the different objects and what's what. It's going to be a while, but I think I'm going to commit to a deep dive here and order parts soon to make a little box. Wish I had jumped on this when all of you were all hyped up on it so I had someone to share my excitement and frustration with. :lol:
UglyCasanova

IAMILFFAMOUS
IAMILFFAMOUS

Postby spacelordmother » Fri May 03, 2019 9:00 pm

IM and I are still pretty hyped. :thumb:

Have my third core sitting here waiting for the right idea...
spacelordmother

HERO
HERO

Postby UglyCasanova » Wed Jun 19, 2019 3:33 pm

Dooooone!

Here's my new baby. An homage to the never released Sonic Crayon Mechanical Sun, this is the Digital Flora Biological Moon :lol: :joy:

Selection between a 20 second delay (can do 40,but even 20 seems overkill. Might make it 10-15) or a shorter BBD style crunchy lofi delay into either gooey pitch modulation or pulsating amplitude modulation that goes into ringmod territory. Next up is a resonant 2-pole high or lowpass filter and an ambient reverb (based on Clouds) with controls for room size and smearing. No bypass shit. This baby is always listening and recording and I use the d.mix and r.mix to bring the effect back in.

Pleased! Will make more! :snax:
UglyCasanova

IAMILFFAMOUS
IAMILFFAMOUS

Postby oldangelmidnight » Wed Jun 19, 2019 7:05 pm

That looks amazing.
With Axoloti, the temptation is to leave it open-ended but I like the idea that you set it up as a single-use device then build a different one for a different purpose.
oldangelmidnight

IAMILFFAMOUS
IAMILFFAMOUS

Postby UglyCasanova » Thu Jun 20, 2019 7:17 am

Thanks!

Yeah, I guess if you went for a rotary mode switcher and/or an OLED solution you could make it do everything and more, but I liked doing it this way. Definitely had to remove bunch of other cool effects along the way to keep it relatively cohesive and 'simple', so making another that's different is on the horizon for sure.
UglyCasanova

IAMILFFAMOUS
IAMILFFAMOUS

Postby spacelordmother » Thu Jun 20, 2019 8:50 am

UglyCasanova wrote:Selection between a 20 second delay (can do 40,but even 20 seems overkill. Might make it 10-15) or a shorter BBD style crunchy lofi delay into either gooey pitch modulation or pulsating amplitude modulation that goes into ringmod territory. Next up is a resonant 2-pole high or lowpass filter and an ambient reverb (based on Clouds) with controls for room size and smearing. No bypass shit. This baby is always listening and recording and I use the d.mix and r.mix to bring the effect back in.

Where's the clips tho. ;)
Not that you should change this at all, but if you haven't tried it make sure to check out the TSG reverb. Lovely sounding, lots of knobs, and you can turn the diffusion down to get a delay or smeary reverb. My favorite.

oldangelmidnight wrote:That looks amazing.
With Axoloti, the temptation is to leave it open-ended but I like the idea that you set it up as a single-use device then build a different one for a different purpose.

UglyCasanova wrote:Yeah, I guess if you went for a rotary mode switcher and/or an OLED solution you could make it do everything and more, but I liked doing it this way. Definitely had to remove bunch of other cool effects along the way to keep it relatively cohesive and 'simple', so making another that's different is on the horizon for sure.

I have designed mine both to be open-ended/adaptable to a variety of uses (one more pedalboard, the other more desktop) but found that I rarely change the patches on them. Small tidbit -- you can use the small S1 and S2 buttons on the board to change patches without having to dedicate gpio pins to a rotary switch or encoder to change. There are objects in the library to attach them in the patcher.

:!!!:
spacelordmother

HERO
HERO

Postby BetterOffShred » Thu Jun 20, 2019 12:26 pm

This interests me..

Do they still sell these modules? The site seems to be sold out, is there another distributor or anything?
BetterOffShred

IAMILFFAMOUS
IAMILFFAMOUS

Postby JonnyAngle » Thu Jun 20, 2019 5:08 pm

they order batches and when they're in stock they're in stock. I've seen some on reverb pop up as well.

Re: open ended vs dedicated

dedicated seems to be the way to go. Otherwise it's impossible to remember what knob does what, depending on how often you change the patch. I kinda want to get back into it, but there's too much other stuff going on in my life to have time to mess with it
JonnyAngle

IAMILFFAMOUS
IAMILFFAMOUS

Postby Teej212 » Fri Jun 21, 2019 8:44 am

Holy f Kent. Amazing job
Teej212

FAMOUS
FAMOUS

PreviousNext

Return to General Gear