Rack Preamps

Moderator: Ghost Hip

Rack Preamps

Postby BoatRich » Thu Apr 27, 2017 2:44 pm

I'm looking to get a reliable backup to my V4/Plexi/Butcher and I'm thinking about going preamp power amp. I tend to like clean/edge of breakup tones pushed with pedals. Anyone know of a decent tube preamp that isn't super complex? Or a DIY kit/scheme I can follow to build one?

Ideally it'd be the vibrato channel from a twin in a rack mount box, but something even simpler like a bassman or superbass style thing would be sick too.
BoatRich

IAMILF
IAMILF

Re: Rack Preamps

Postby actual » Thu Apr 27, 2017 2:52 pm

One that comes to mind is the Verellen Meatsmoke. Available in both rack and stompbox formats. Not sure it matches the Fender thing you're going for though, but it's cooool.
Mixing and mastering? Makeshift Audio
actual

IAMILF
IAMILF

Postby rfurtkamp » Thu Apr 27, 2017 3:09 pm

Could do an Alembic F-2B clone.

Schematics etc are out there, I know of a few Deadheads who have them (clone and factory).

Had to look up the model number, but it's right

http://www.alembic.com/prod/f2b.html
==
My pedalboard costs approximately 191 Metal Zones.

rfurtkamp

IAMILFFAMOUS
IAMILFFAMOUS

Postby odontophobia » Thu Apr 27, 2017 3:18 pm

Because I've been listeing to Oceanic and Panopticon on repeat:

Mesa/Boogie Formula Preamp/Studio Preamp/V-Twin Preamp into whatever power amp you want. That's what a bunch of nerds on forums circa 2004 were talking about.
odontophobia

Supporter
Supporter

Postby BoatRich » Thu Apr 27, 2017 3:46 pm

The Mesa and Alembic are actually both on my list, it's just finding one cheap enough or hoping one comes in used at work. A DIY Alembic is also on the short list depending on complexity. Also curious about something B15/V4 style but there's not much out there it seems
BoatRich

IAMILF
IAMILF

Postby D.o.S. » Thu Apr 27, 2017 4:22 pm

odontophobia wrote:Because I've been listeing to Oceanic and Panopticon on repeat:

Mesa/Boogie Formula Preamp/Studio Preamp/V-Twin Preamp into whatever power amp you want. That's what a bunch of nerds on forums circa 2004 were talking about.

Turner sold off his V-Twin Preamp (or maybe it was the 22 watt one) when Isis first dissolved and he was moving from LA to Washington.
good deals are here.
escapecraft is here.
UglyCasanova wrote: It's not the expensive programs you use, it's the way you click and drag.

Achtane wrote:
comesect2.0 wrote:Michael Jackson king tut little Richard in your butt.

IT'S THE ENNNND OF THE WORRRLD AS WE KNOW IT
D.o.S.

IAMILFFAMOUS
IAMILFFAMOUS

Postby GardenoftheDead » Thu Apr 27, 2017 5:17 pm

A/DA made the MP1 into a pedal format recently and they're only about $399
GardenoftheDead

IAMILF
IAMILF

Postby Iommic Pope » Thu Apr 27, 2017 8:10 pm

The peavey tube pres can be found cheap and in abundance.
I had antubefex, and even though it could get complicated, it was a fucking awesone set and forget preamp if you didnt want to go menu diving.
But if you did, SO MANY EQ OPTIONS.
WWPD?
fcknoise wrote:You are all fucking tryhard effort posting nerds

Invisible Man wrote:I'm probably the most humble person I know. I feel good about smelling my own butthole.

Jesus Was a Robot wrote:Did you just assume Billy Corgan's dildo preference??
Iommic Pope

IAMILFFAMOUS
IAMILFFAMOUS

Postby misterstomach » Thu Apr 27, 2017 10:03 pm

One of the guitarists from asunder used a Marshall 9100 series preamp. Different power amps, but the last time I saw them he was using a 9100 power amp as well. It sounded fucking great. I don't know if you're familiar with that band, but as a doom room dude, I think it'll be in the tonal spectrum you're into. Fwiw, of be never played one myself, but I've been tempted as they can be had for pretty cheap.
ryan summit wrote:Damn these fuckin bullshit techherpes
misterstomach

FAMOUS
FAMOUS

Postby BoatRich » Thu Apr 27, 2017 10:12 pm

misterstomach wrote:One of the guitarists from asunder used a Marshall 9100 series preamp. Different power amps, but the last time I saw them he was using a 9100 power amp as well. It sounded fucking great. I don't know if you're familiar with that band, but as a doom room dude, I think it'll be in the tonal spectrum you're into. Fwiw, of be never played one myself, but I've been tempted as they can be had for pretty cheap.

We had one of those in at work and it actually sparked this whole train of thought. I'm thinking about one of those too but idk if I want to deal with the whole patch and midi thing. I'm really into having knobs and pretty much only what seems immediately useful. Also having a modular rig would be sick because all of my stuff keeps breaking.
BoatRich

IAMILF
IAMILF

Postby rustywire » Fri Apr 28, 2017 12:49 am

I want to do this with a Golden Age Pre-73/EQ-73 and a McIntosh 75 watt power amp :love:
[B/S/T shoutouts] Shortlist: Hollow Earth|Ct5|856|Condor|Thermae|OP-1|half track reel2reel|Prophet6 ... :whoa:
rfurtkamp wrote:The only transparent thing I own is a set of drinking glasses.
rustywire

IAMILFFAMOUS
IAMILFFAMOUS

Return to General Gear