Teenage Engineering Pocket Operators

Moderator: Ghost Hip

Re: Teenage Engineering Pocket Operators

Postby Psyre » Mon Apr 24, 2017 3:56 am

Timely topic, I just ordered a PO-24 two nights ago, I'm hoping I dig it with my tabletop jam rig. It's the only one I'm really interested in as of now although they are all really cool. I'm excited to see what else comes.
Psyre

IAMILF
IAMILF

Postby fcknoise » Mon Apr 24, 2017 1:01 pm

I like my pocket operators for making actual music, but I guess it is easier when combining with my OP-1 :idk:

Excited for the tonic now :snax:
Cydonia wrote: Too bad no one here is interested in talking about "gear"

BossMann73 wrote:I didn't insult it......I "curated" a "different aesthetic.".

John wrote:I love how this forum has the GDP of Switzerland in pedals but the collective value of everyone's patch cables is less than the change in my couch cushions. And I don't have a couch.

Soundcloud: https://soundcloud.com/sharkmovieappriciator
Bandcamp: https://fcknoise.bandcamp.com/
fcknoise

IAMILFFAMOUS
IAMILFFAMOUS

Postby frodog » Mon Apr 24, 2017 3:51 pm

I have used the PO-12 for a few years now, mostly at the rehearsal space after the drummer goes to bed and it's only bass and guitar.. also on some home records. I gotta say the effects and the fact that you can play it handheld standing up gives it accessibility points and it does sound p good, though it has a limited timbral palette? Anyway, mine has been dropped a few times, like on the first day I got it, but still survives except for when you happen to press a certain button combo and it turns off and then on and off.. still don't fucking know what exact buttonsmash+jiggle causes it. I might get the new version at some point.
frodog

FAMOUS
FAMOUS

Postby ThurberMingus » Tue Apr 25, 2017 12:22 am

I realized that my ambient drone project is just a drum machine away from being chiptune, so naturally I bought a PO-12. I plan on picking some more up, or rather I plan on telling my parents that they would make great birthday presents :evil:
neonblack wrote:SELL IT!

Don't form emotional bonds with metal boxes.

Live like me. Flip everything. Romanticize nothing. Accomplish nothing.

lost in music wrote:Digivolve into champions!
ThurberMingus

FAMOUS
FAMOUS

Postby mr. sound boy king » Tue Apr 25, 2017 9:09 am

Big fan of the PO-12. FX + parameter locks gives it functionality beyond the limitation of the 16 patterns. You can really fuck shit up. It is a beat mangL00R. Bonus points for extreme portability. I've got mine with me here at work for break time. BOOM BOOM BLAP.
NEW EP of BANGERS, David B. Applegate Gets The Vapors out now: https://immigrantbreastnest.bandcamp.co ... the-vapors
mr. sound boy king

experienced
experienced

Postby Dr. Sherman Sticks M.D. » Tue Apr 25, 2017 10:19 am

frodog wrote:I have used the PO-12 for a few years now, mostly at the rehearsal space after the drummer goes to bed and it's only bass and guitar.. also on some home records. I gotta say the effects and the fact that you can play it handheld standing up gives it accessibility points and it does sound p good, though it has a limited timbral palette? Anyway, mine has been dropped a few times, like on the first day I got it, but still survives except for when you happen to press a certain button combo and it turns off and then on and off.. still don't fucking know what exact buttonsmash+jiggle causes it. I might get the new version at some point.

yo sounds like your battery contacts maybe..? just push them back inwards a lil bit next time u swap the batts so they stay connected even when the board flexes.
mine did that too when i first got it.
Dr. Sherman Sticks M.D.

IAMILFFAMOUS
IAMILFFAMOUS

Postby fcknoise » Tue Apr 25, 2017 3:46 pm

Tbh if you are contemplating a new PO-12 I'd look at this first. You can change the sounds for more variety and it can do cooler live things. Why is no one else excited about this but me
Cydonia wrote: Too bad no one here is interested in talking about "gear"

BossMann73 wrote:I didn't insult it......I "curated" a "different aesthetic.".

John wrote:I love how this forum has the GDP of Switzerland in pedals but the collective value of everyone's patch cables is less than the change in my couch cushions. And I don't have a couch.

Soundcloud: https://soundcloud.com/sharkmovieappriciator
Bandcamp: https://fcknoise.bandcamp.com/
fcknoise

IAMILFFAMOUS
IAMILFFAMOUS

Postby Psyre » Tue Apr 25, 2017 4:05 pm

fcknoise wrote:
Tbh if you are contemplating a new PO-12 I'd look at this first. You can change the sounds for more variety and it can do cooler live things. Why is no one else excited about this but me

I'm really anxious to see what the tonic leads to. I'd love something with the chord sequencing abilities of the arcade, but with a voice editor like the tonic.
Psyre

IAMILF
IAMILF

Postby MrNovember » Tue Apr 25, 2017 6:34 pm

Psyre wrote:
fcknoise wrote:

I'm really anxious to see what the tonic leads to. I'd love something with the chord sequencing abilities of the arcade, but with a voice editor like the tonic.

Honestly, I want a Tonic even though I just somewhat bashed the PO-12 :lol: :facepalm:
MrNovember

Modulae of BILF
Modulae of BILF

Postby 01010111 » Tue Apr 25, 2017 7:00 pm

MrNovember wrote:
Psyre wrote:
fcknoise wrote:

Honestly, I want a Tonic even though I just somewhat bashed the PO-12 :lol: :facepalm:

The chord sequencing is fairly limited because you're still stuck playing in C. I wish I would've gotten the Tonic instead of the Arcade

IAMILFFAMOUS
IAMILFFAMOUS

Postby Psyre » Tue Apr 25, 2017 11:11 pm

01010111 wrote:
MrNovember wrote:
Psyre wrote:
fcknoise wrote:

The chord sequencing is fairly limited because you're still stuck playing in C. I wish I would've gotten the Tonic instead of the Arcade

Exactly, a more robust chord sequencer with a sound designer and key/octave choices. Could be awesome

Or another sonic charge collaboration that allows you to generate a synth a la synplant. Would be cool if you could upload 2-3 sounds to the "pocket plant" sort of thing.
The Tonic just cracks the potential I think these could have.
Psyre

IAMILF
IAMILF

Postby askashrub » Wed Apr 26, 2017 12:14 am

I have a couple of 'em (Arcade and Robot).

I say go with the Tonic.
The PO-12 (rhythm) is probably the most useful of the Pocket Operator I've played, and the Tonic improves on it in a few ways that really appeal to me (primarily the choke groups and how one of the encoders is customizable).

They are all cool in their own way, but the best part of the Pocket Operators is their effects (and how you apply them).
And I find the effects are most suited to drums.
askashrub

committed
committed

Postby Jero » Sat Apr 29, 2017 4:31 pm

I've been messing with my po-20, and watching a bunch of videos. Lots of fun making noises so far, but still learning the curve.

The volume was disappointingly low...until I figured out how to adjust it
I make noise toys under Stomping Stones

oldangelmidnight wrote:This is the classic ILF I love. Emotional highs and lows. Scooped mids in my heart all day long.
Jero

IAMILFFAMOUS
IAMILFFAMOUS

Postby Meriphew » Sun Apr 30, 2017 11:45 am

I bought one last year. It's a fun little gadget, but the novelty wore off pretty quickly for me.
Meriphew

involved
involved

Postby friendship » Sun Apr 30, 2017 12:38 pm

fcknoise wrote:

I'm excited about this one too, it's going to be my first pocket operator. It looks like it will be a lot of fun to just leave your recorder on while playing this and tweaking it live.
sound journal

actualidiot wrote:12-bit's almost analog, right?
friendship

IAMILFFAMOUS
IAMILFFAMOUS

PreviousNext

Return to General Gear