The Circle of Synth or: why I decided to (mostly) quit euro

Moderator: Ghost Hip

Re: The Circle of Synth or: why I decided to (mostly) quit e

Postby MrNovember » Sat Mar 25, 2017 1:46 pm

Ruiner wrote:I'm going to copy and paste this now so I can insert it later in the modular diary thread I just posted :lol:

I can totally see that happening though. Did you use guitar with it or strictly modular? I'm hoping that will be the difference for me as I just want a killer sampler/looper (er301 and morphogene) and stuff to make slow modulating drones and soundscapes to play guitar over and a pedalboard of sorts that will modulate and do things my pedalboard can't or won't easily.

It was mainly strictly modular, but I plugged the guitar into it from time to time. My goal with the new setup is to integrate other instruments with it more. I think some of my issues came from trying to make my modular into an instrument that could do everything and cover every part in a song.

Eivind August wrote:
MrNovember wrote:I guess since I'm calling this the Circle of Synth, I should start probably at the beginning.

Where is the beginning of a circle? :poke:

Seriously though, great read, and the part about planning your next purchase and how it would affect your music rather than actually making music resonates with me - that's why I downsized and decided to stick with only the essential tools to do what I want to do. Which is to be free, and have a good time. And that's what we're gonna do. We're gonna have a good time. We're gonna have a party.

Downsizing and sticking with essentials is exactly what I intend to do now.

Dark Barn wrote:Totally agree about looking for the next module fix. Although I was the exact same way with pedals, so this is probably just a personality
flaw. For me it goes pretty deep, like when I decide I need something else for my rig, I kinda stop (or cutback on) making music until I have it. This can be a short wait on some in stock priority mail item, but it has happened to me on items that I had to preorder or be on a waitlist. For whatever reason my brain tells me to put things on hold until that piece of kit gets here.

I actually get to be the same way too. It's definitely a personality flaw. I honestly thought I was the only one that got like that :lol:
MrNovember

Modulae of BILF
Modulae of BILF

Postby ThurberMingus » Sat Mar 25, 2017 3:33 pm

I have a men only terrorism cult and I still want new gear :idk:
neonblack wrote:SELL IT!

Don't form emotional bonds with metal boxes.

Live like me. Flip everything. Romanticize nothing. Accomplish nothing.

lost in music wrote:Digivolve into champions!
ThurberMingus

FAMOUS
FAMOUS

Postby Hypnodrone » Sat Mar 25, 2017 6:31 pm

I want to get into modular because I had a MS20 and a SH5 way back. But knowing myself I'll unhappily buy stuff until the point where I could have bought an EMS VCS3 so I'll just save up for a EMS VCS3 (or a new car) and stay out of the modular quagmire.
Hypnodrone

committed
committed

Postby codetocontra » Sat Mar 25, 2017 7:44 pm

Enjoy hearing your perspective. I have considered getting into Eurorack several times. Wanted to explore new sounds and partly to help end or distract from my perpetual curiousity of pedals, but I know in the end it just leads to the same cycle of buying and selling that never satisfies. As my pedal collection shrinks I wonder if I could put together a minimal Eurorack setup with a few modules while trying to maximize potential.
codetocontra

IAMILF
IAMILF

Postby kbit » Sun Mar 26, 2017 10:28 pm

MrNovember wrote: (also for those of you keeping score, Maths was the module I kept the longest out of my first purchases, but still ended up deciding that my combination of Mini Slew, Sinclastic Empulatrix, and Samara were far superior).

Curious to hear more about your perspective on this, as well.
D.o.S. wrote:I'm fucking stupid and no one should operate under any other premise.
kbit

IAMILFFAMOUS
IAMILFFAMOUS

Postby MrNovember » Wed Mar 29, 2017 8:15 am

I'm glad everyone enjoyed or found reading my perspective useful :group:

kbit wrote:
MrNovember wrote: (also for those of you keeping score, Maths was the module I kept the longest out of my first purchases, but still ended up deciding that my combination of Mini Slew, Sinclastic Empulatrix, and Samara were far superior).

Curious to hear more about your perspective on this, as well.

The Mini Slew is essentially one of the channels of Maths with more CV input points, two CV outputs, EOC, EOR, FM, time compensation. Samara is basically the centre "math" portion of Maths, but again with a lot more manipulation available. Sinclastic was just a second envelope in a small footprint for me. Would have preferred something with CV control, but the additional VCA was really useful.
MrNovember

Modulae of BILF
Modulae of BILF

Postby Jwar » Wed Mar 29, 2017 10:50 am

Took me a couple days to get myself to read this because I was being lazy. LOL.

This could have been written by me except change the modular to pedals. I've had the same exact issues over the years. I mean, my God. Have you seen how many fucking pedals I've owned and sold? It's unreal!

So I think the take away from this is, less can be more and a lot of us have some major fucking addiction issue. I'd lol, but it's kind of not funny. It sucks.
"I do not have the ability to think rationally 90% of the time and I also change my mind at the drop of a hat".

-JWAR :)
Jwar

Cosmic of BILF
Cosmic of BILF

Postby Ruiner » Wed Mar 29, 2017 11:00 am

jwar wrote:Took me a couple days to get myself to read this because I was being lazy. LOL.

This could have been written by me except change the modular to pedals. I've had the same exact issues over the years. I mean, my God. Have you seen how many fucking pedals I've owned and sold? It's unreal!

So I think the take away from this is, less can be more and a lot of us have some major fucking addiction issue. I'd lol, but it's kind of not funny. It sucks.

It'd be a lot easier if we didn't come here anymore but....yeah, that's not happening. :lol:

I think for most regulars here it's a balance because we are not just in it to make music. I think we all have a love for pedals (or in this subject, modular) that sparks our curiosity and interest and we enjoy talking about it as much as possible and sharing our findings and sharing our clips instead of full songs because most people here care more about that than a song any of us put out. It's part of our music making but it's also a part of a separate interest and obsession that just mingles with our music making and is as much a part of it as well. It's when we go overboard and swing too far one way that it becomes an issue. As long as you're creating and most importantly, as long as you are happy and feel fulfilled with what you're doing then it's all good.

Luckily I never go overboard with anything.................

Ruiner

IAMILF
IAMILF

Postby resincum » Wed Mar 29, 2017 1:01 pm

thanks for sharing! I think modular can be a terrible thing to get into if you have an obsessive personality. also I think one should have a good idea of what they're trying to accomplish before dipping their toes in modular or it's way easier to get sucked into that rabbit hole... so yeeehaw sounds like you know what you want to do now and honestly I think you're updated rig is wayyy more :drool: worthy
i'm glad i can call you a friend. even if i'll never see you again
resincum

Supporter
Supporter

Postby coldbrightsunlight » Wed Mar 29, 2017 1:47 pm

Great post, certainly something I wrestle with when acquiring and lusting after all sorts of gear. How much is for making music and how much for the sake of gear. Sometimes I remember how happy I used to be with a guitar, an amp and one pedal as a kid. How much better a musician I could be if I spent more time practicing.

On the other hand I like fun noises. :lol:
füzz lover. Friend. Quilter evangelist.

I make music sometimes:

https://nitrx.bandcamp.com/

https://mediocrisy.bandcamp.com/

https://fleshcouch.bandcamp.com
coldbrightsunlight

Supporter
Supporter

Postby ritz » Wed Mar 29, 2017 2:44 pm

resincum wrote:thanks for sharing! I think modular can be a terrible thing to get into if you have an obsessive personality

This is basically why I stay way away from it.

Sometimes I will catch myself trying to convince myself that I should get a "little" system going, for "specific purposes" and it would all be very restrained and targeted etc... but I know that the rabbit hole beckons deep.

"Oh, I'll just get clouds and a few utilities...." NO. You won't. Empty skiff space wants to be filled. Full skiffs lead to "utility skiffs"...

Also I am always trying to focus more on the music, and less on the fiddly bits and the gear lusting, and I know that modular would throw that out of whack for me. And I would be obsessing over my modulargrid and reading about new modules all day, and then selling all my precious pedals to get more modules... and then fiddling endlessly too.

My pedal habit is enough as is.

Also I don't like the wire spaghetti look, I would probably be one of those people who had to zip tie and tidy up my patches.

This is kind of an interesting "modular moment" on ilf, with some jumping off the boat, some jumping in, November "mostly" quitting... Ruiner dipping his toes but also seemingly leaping in with both feet... obviously no one solution fits all... I do think it's good to keep the goal in mind... but getting totally lost in modular can be fun too if that's your goal.

For me this thread helps solidify my desire to stay the hell away from modular, so thanks! :hug:
popvulture wrote:Nothing is truer bypass than the void.

multi_s wrote: i want something that gives my third eye a rim job.
ritz

experienced
experienced

Postby Ruiner » Wed Mar 29, 2017 2:54 pm

For me i'm SO interested in the way it all works as much as the results that come from it. I think regardless if I stick with it or not the knowledge built will help a ton in the pedal world for me as well since it seems more and more pedals are getting the cv option treatment. Even if I don't keep the large rack i'm building, I'm fairly confident I will have a hybrid pedalboard of a skiff mixed with a board and everything playing off each other one way or another. Even if that is something like 2 clouds with different firmware options and a few utilities mixed with my pedalboard. For many this isn't an option (could be very difficult in a band or live setting) but since i only do solo music right now and ALL i'm interested is recording AND i'm only interested in playing something once, recording it, putting it out and moving on then this is the right road for me.............. i think.
Ruiner

IAMILF
IAMILF

Postby tremolo3 » Wed Mar 29, 2017 3:21 pm

resincum wrote:thanks for sharing! I think modular can be a terrible thing to get into if you have an obsessive personality. also I think one should have a good idea of what they're trying to accomplish before dipping their toes in pedals or it's way easier to get sucked into that rabbit hole...

I agree.
John wrote:"guys play quiet, listen to my small costly device."

PumpkinPieces wrote:Fer shoogaze

tuffteef wrote:all you need is a big muff and feelings
tremolo3

IAMILF
IAMILF

Postby MrNovember » Wed Mar 29, 2017 7:24 pm

resincum wrote:thanks for sharing! I think modular can be a terrible thing to get into if you have an obsessive personality. also I think one should have a good idea of what they're trying to accomplish before dipping their toes in modular or it's way easier to get sucked into that rabbit hole... so yeeehaw sounds like you know what you want to do now and honestly I think you're updated rig is wayyy more :drool: worthy

Yeah I definitely didn't really have a clear goal from the start which wasn't a good idea when I jumped in, but I definitely have a much better idea of what I want to do now! And thanks, I am absolutely loving the Sub 37. Even though I haven't spent tons of time with it yet, it's just so damned good and I've been able to dial all kinds of awesome sounds. It's surprisingly intuitive and easy to use.
MrNovember

Modulae of BILF
Modulae of BILF

Postby popvulture » Wed Mar 29, 2017 7:47 pm

I think speaking to the obsessive personality thing, that might be why Euro didn't appeal to me. Although I do have a lot of fun going down rabbit holes and experimenting with noise / discovering new sounds, I'm much more measured and planned when it comes to songwriting. I also am pretty melody-oriented, so I've always appreciated integrated keyboards etc.

I know people who go the west coast route give zero fucks about that, and it seems to me that those who enjoy making noise and drones, zoning out and getting lost really jibe well with Euro. I love that kind of music, but it's not typically what I make... I think I spent a lot of time lusting after the gear because it's so cool looking and malleable, but ultimately that lack of boundaries makes some tight-ass part of my brain nearly blow a gasket.
neonblack wrote:They say tone is in the hooks

D.o.S. wrote:I'm pretty sure moderation leads to Mustang Sally.

coldbrightsunlight wrote:Yes I am a soppy pop person at heart I think with noises round the edge

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JphJfwsUbT4
popvulture

IAMILFFAMOUS
IAMILFFAMOUS

PreviousNext

Return to General Gear