Weird and specific question about optical compressors.

Moderator: Ghost Hip

Weird and specific question about optical compressors.

Postby t-rey » Wed Mar 22, 2017 8:38 pm

I've been mildly curious about compressors for a little bit now (because I like YOB and Earth too much sometimes). In reading about optical comps, it seems to me like they use photo cells kind of like optical trem pedals? I just got a BBE Tremor (optical trem) which sounds great, but also does something nice to my tone even with the depth/rate backed down. I know that a lot of trems have a similar effect, but I was mostly curious if I could expect and optical compressor pedals to give me similar tone sweetening results?

Yeah...like I said, weird and specific question.
t-rey

IAMILF
IAMILF

Re: Weird and specific question about optical compressors.

Postby lordgalvar » Thu Mar 23, 2017 2:58 am

Maybe? I think the sweetening is more a result of the preamp/overall pedal circuit than the actual photo cell itself.

The photo cell has a longer decay time than a (typical) VCA and envelope follower so you get a bit of slew over the changes. The decay or slew varies widely between different photo cells (some are even made to have longer decay times). If the compression is subtle enough but the photocell is still doing something, yea, it probably could add a slight smoothing type effect but it could make things a bit more sluggish. I see the photo cell as more of a way to smooth changes with a non-linear response more than a direct change in tone (and useful to take clicks out of sharp voltage changes...I have a switch that uses them to take out the 'pop' when switching). Some are pretty fast though and less full of character.

The smoothness is probably more a result of the preamp and slight kinda 'life' some modulation can have on a less dynamic signal.

Overall, I'd say it is tough to really say all optical compressors can add some special because of the wide variances in components (and light sources). The non-linear response of the photocell does have a kind of natural character in the way it changes values and some compressors probably do take advantage of that special feature.

The photocells in the univibe is supposedly where the magic is in that effect due to their slow nature.
-Ring Mods!
"I make you chocolate"
    -comesect69-via-Majin Buu-by-way-of-Dirge/mtl.asm and special consideration from CA Anderton
lordgalvar

Supporter
Supporter

Postby Iommic Pope » Thu Mar 23, 2017 5:52 am

I dont know shit about compressors but opticsl univibes slay, so using that logic I have a hard on for alll thibgs photocell.
T, you and I are on the same gear page lately.
WWPD?
fcknoise wrote:You are all fucking tryhard effort posting nerds

Invisible Man wrote:I'm probably the most humble person I know. I feel good about smelling my own butthole.

Jesus Was a Robot wrote:Did you just assume Billy Corgan's dildo preference??
Iommic Pope

IAMILFFAMOUS
IAMILFFAMOUS

Postby t-rey » Thu Mar 23, 2017 8:32 am

lordgalvar wrote:Maybe? I think the sweetening is more a result of the preamp/overall pedal circuit than the actual photo cell itself.

The photo cell has a longer decay time than a (typical) VCA and envelope follower so you get a bit of slew over the changes. The decay or slew varies widely between different photo cells (some are even made to have longer decay times). If the compression is subtle enough but the photocell is still doing something, yea, it probably could add a slight smoothing type effect but it could make things a bit more sluggish. I see the photo cell as more of a way to smooth changes with a non-linear response more than a direct change in tone (and useful to take clicks out of sharp voltage changes...I have a switch that uses them to take out the 'pop' when switching). Some are pretty fast though and less full of character.

The smoothness is probably more a result of the preamp and slight kinda 'life' some modulation can have on a less dynamic signal.

Overall, I'd say it is tough to really say all optical compressors can add some special because of the wide variances in components (and light sources). The non-linear response of the photocell does have a kind of natural character in the way it changes values and some compressors probably do take advantage of that special feature.

The photocells in the univibe is supposedly where the magic is in that effect due to their slow nature.

Thanks! To be honest, I don't understand a lot of the stuff there in the middle, but get that just because they both use photocells and are 'optical' versions of themselves, doesn't mean that the overall effect on the tone will be the same. I remember the old EA style trem I had being very nice about this as well ( a Bluebird, I think?), so it makes sense that it's probably just something about trems that I think sound nice. Makes me wonder why there aren't folks making 'boost' pedals designed around trem circuits in the same way that they do with the Echoplex style pedals...

I do like the idea that an optical circuit may have some inherent character based on the design, so maybe I still will start my compressor search with one.

Iommic Pope wrote:I dont know shit about compressors but opticsl univibes slay, so using that logic I have a hard on for alll thibgs photocell.
T, you and I are on the same gear page lately.

That's always a good thing, my friend. What's your board looking like these days? And interestingly enough, I've been eyeing vibe pedals as well :animal: And I was looking at the MXR D+ thread too - like you I had a QM for a little bit, but something about it just didn't mesh with me...so I'm in your camp, probably gonna pick up a D+ or 250 at some point just to see what the fuss is all about.
t-rey

IAMILF
IAMILF

Postby Iommic Pope » Thu Mar 23, 2017 9:05 am

Yeah man, lately I've been all about putting my TM5 into my Black Forest and using the FAC control, eq and volume to boost the shit out of it and basically make it sound about 100 times better.
I just put an offer on a black Ross, so if that comes up I'll probably replace the TM5 with that and do the same.
I still haven't landed on a comp I wanna gun for yet.
I had a red dyna comp a while back I didn't mind. It was actually pretty good at making a signal nice and hot without being too squishy.
But I kinda like a little noticeable squish.
I like the idea of more control over parameters though, so I'll probably gun for something different when I get a comp.

Other than that I got the RV3, the Limbo III and I switch phasers a bunch.
But that's the basic blueprint of my board.

Now I want a vibe.... :animal: :thumb: :lol: :picard:
WWPD?

Invisible Man wrote:I'm probably the most humble person I know. I feel good about smelling my own butthole.

Iommic Pope

IAMILFFAMOUS
IAMILFFAMOUS

Postby t-rey » Thu Mar 23, 2017 6:59 pm

I'm assuming Thrash Master? And that sounds like a good use of the eq/depth of the Black Forest. I miss having one of those around, even though I never did use it to it's potential....but I'm sure I'll end up with another at some point. The Limbo looks snazzy too.

Just to add to your univibe gas - the Accel Classic Vibes is (allegedly) a legit photocell vibe pedal in a snazzy purple enclosure for $59 shipped. If I don't suss out a Dunwich something or other and/or a Witch Burner in the next couple of days, I'm gonna pull the trigger on one of those and give it a try.
t-rey

IAMILF
IAMILF

Postby Iommic Pope » Thu Mar 23, 2017 7:15 pm

Oooh, gonna suss that now.

Yeah, it is the Thrash Master/metal/mistress/monsignor or whatever.
Get a BF, theyre just the fucking best for everything.
The TM5 is apparently closer to a RAT than a 250 or a dist+, and I hate rats, but it sounds cool.
I think this is the third RAT ive owned and after not gelling with the others, I can say that this is so far my favorite variant, even if I'm not wildly in love with the tone control, but the BF has made all of those rat circuits infinitely better.
Nick has done a blown up 250 circuit with Al Cisneros on it, if I recall, maybe hit him up?
I think he has an ODB up on his shop at the moment, as well.
Limbo is rad. I want to mess with the CV control more soon.

But yeah, tldr is BLOW EVERYTHING UP WITH A BLACK FOREST.
WWPD?

Iommic Pope

IAMILFFAMOUS
IAMILFFAMOUS

Postby Feral Feline » Thu Mar 23, 2017 8:12 pm

DIAMOND enhances.
BASS BASS
Feral Feline

interested
interested

Postby t-rey » Thu Mar 23, 2017 9:19 pm

Iommic Pope wrote:Oooh, gonna suss that now.

Yeah, it is the Thrash Master/metal/mistress/monsignor or whatever.
Get a BF, theyre just the fucking best for everything.
The TM5 is apparently closer to a RAT than a 250 or a dist+, and I hate rats, but it sounds cool.
I think this is the third RAT ive owned and after not gelling with the others, I can say that this is so far my favorite variant, even if I'm not wildly in love with the tone control, but the BF has made all of those rat circuits infinitely better.
Nick has done a blown up 250 circuit with Al Cisneros on it, if I recall, maybe hit him up?
I think he has an ODB up on his shop at the moment, as well.
Limbo is rad. I want to mess with the CV control more soon.

But yeah, tldr is BLOW EVERYTHING UP WITH A BLACK FOREST.

I don't get on with Rats either. Had two, both sounded like wet farts no matter what I did. Given the tones other people get with them, I'm positive it's user error, but so it goes.
I'm actually hoping to get my hands on one of the Dunwich modded HM2s, but if that falls through who knows what I'm gonna end up with.

Feral Feline wrote:DIAMOND enhances.

That's something I've seen mentioned pretty frequently. Is there something specific that causes that?
t-rey

IAMILF
IAMILF

Return to General Gear