SMALLEST midi controllers with actual midi output

Moderator: Ghost Hip

SMALLEST midi controllers with actual midi output

Postby chrisdermo » Sat Feb 25, 2017 9:39 am

Need suggestions of smallest keyboard type Midi controllers wth an actual midi/DIN output please! Don't care if it comes from a minijack -> din converter or not. Just not any controllers that are USB midi only. Not looking to get the Kenton usb<->midi converter either.
HALP.
Key step?

Crappy plastic-y rubbish is perfectly fine a la Korg nanokey
chrisdermo

FAMOUS
FAMOUS

Re: SMALLEST midi controllers with actual midi output

Postby actual » Sat Feb 25, 2017 9:56 am

Probably the Keystep man, otherwise you'll prolly have to go with full sized keys
Mixing and mastering? Makeshift Audio
actual

IAMILF
IAMILF

Postby chrisdermo » Sat Feb 25, 2017 9:58 am

Yeah. I literally just want to be able to play my volca and know the note I intend to play is the one that comes out. Those touch strip things suck!!!
chrisdermo

FAMOUS
FAMOUS

Postby oscillateur » Sun Feb 26, 2017 8:04 am

Yep, keystep is your best bet for this. You get a nice arpeggiator as a bonus...
oscillateur

IAMILF
IAMILF

Postby chrisdermo » Sun Feb 26, 2017 9:22 am

ok, so, key step....... If i go midi in to the key step for clock sync, will it spit out the equivalent in modular synth language through the sync out jack? As well as out of the midi-out?
chrisdermo

FAMOUS
FAMOUS

Postby lordgalvar » Sun Feb 26, 2017 11:27 am

If you have a poly synth LE Strum might be cool (I like it a lot and it is palm sized) (I know it's for a volcano...But it's fun with cheap stuff like fb01).

If you run across an old maudio axiom at under $50, that is a good cheap investment...I think the keystep is better overall if you have CV stuff/need ARP/sequence.

Keystep sync works fine with modular...All the CV stuff on the keystep does. However, it pretty much locks you in with sync in (no subdivisions on board)
Last edited by lordgalvar on Sun Feb 26, 2017 2:04 pm, edited 1 time in total.
-Ring Mods!
"I make you chocolate"
    -comesect69-via-Majin Buu-by-way-of-Dirge/mtl.asm and special consideration from CA Anderton
lordgalvar

Supporter
Supporter

Postby chrisdermo » Sun Feb 26, 2017 2:02 pm

I already pulled the trigger on a keystep, I'm clearly a very impatient person! But, after I realised you could send a sequence over one midi channel and play the keys to a synth on another channel or over cv it seems more worth it! Plus hopefully the analog sync capabilities will pair with my recent banana modular ventures.

Planned that I'll get a Yamaha QY70 or similar to provide master clock and sequence midi cc's & pc's.
Feed midi to Casio tb1 splitter, from there into keystep, ditto x4, line6 m5, midi murf, pitchfactor, Ehx 8step and whatever sampler I end up with. Keystep into volca(s) and analog sync into meng qi voltage memory. Cutting the modular sync on the VM is as easy as turning a knob, don't even have to unplug the cable!
chrisdermo

FAMOUS
FAMOUS

Postby Dr. Sherman Sticks M.D. » Sun Feb 26, 2017 2:04 pm

qy70 is a gem man

i used to bring mine to work and ppl thought it was a game gear or a fancy calculator. they were very impressed like ohhh what model TI is that i think bill on the 2nd floor has one of those lol
Last edited by Dr. Sherman Sticks M.D. on Sun Feb 26, 2017 2:06 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Dr. Sherman Sticks M.D.

IAMILFFAMOUS
IAMILFFAMOUS

Postby lordgalvar » Sun Feb 26, 2017 2:06 pm

I have a way older Yamaha qx5 midi recorder and it really is a blast with something like the futureretro zillion (which is a tiny controllable shift register sequencer....Easy for just messing around).

Works well with the keystep and totally worth $25
-Ring Mods!
"I make you chocolate"
    -comesect69-via-Majin Buu-by-way-of-Dirge/mtl.asm and special consideration from CA Anderton
lordgalvar

Supporter
Supporter

Postby chrisdermo » Sun Feb 26, 2017 2:15 pm

Nice! I'll look into it. I used to use a qx1 which is an enormous tank of a beast. Not so fun to use though I never really got a nice workflow going with it. I think the qy70 or similar will work well as I can do my cc/pc sequences and editing in my DAW whilst I'm songwriting/recording and record them into the qy for live use all in one pass. Any sequencing I do on the qy as standalone will be bonus!
chrisdermo

FAMOUS
FAMOUS

Return to General Gear