Wave folding pedal?

Moderator: Ghost Hip

Re: Wave folding pedal?

Postby Inconuucl » Sun Apr 29, 2018 4:27 pm

The downer is fantastic at driving other distortions into absolute chaos, but I have a hard time dealing with it on its own. It's also super sensitive to what I put into it, so I guess other people's set ups might get different results. Maybe even something like a tube amp.
Le Ciel Inconnu (I was a whale once.)
NSFW: show
Chankgeez wrote:We should have a game show à la Name That Tune

Inconuucl: I can shoegaze that tune with 5 pedals.
other contestant: I can shoegaze that tune with 4 pedals.
Inconuucl: I can shoegaze that tune with 3 pedals.
other contestant: OK, shoegaze that tune!
Inconuucl: :!!!:
Inconuucl

Supporter
Supporter

Postby bloatedsack » Tue Sep 18, 2018 3:54 pm

oyrgawd wrote:I just got the Downer and I’ve used the Prunes & Custard for years. The Downer is rad and does indeed do what the Prunes & Custard does, but:

I've never heard either in the flesh, but I love the P&C demos on bass out there. I was prepared to go in and then found the Downer...

Is the Downer a 1:1 replacement for the P&C if I twiddle the knobs right, or can it never really nail that same.. whatever the fuck the P&C does? That's the sound I want, and logic dictates that I buy the P&C but extra things and cheaper to get makes the Downer hard to say no to.
bloatedsack

committed
committed

Postby goroth » Wed Sep 19, 2018 5:04 am

P&C is rad.
ALLisNOISE wrote:you can dial in some wonderfully smeared 12bit cascades of cicadas leveling a hail of rockets against an army of rusty box fans!

Latest album out on all streaming services and bandcamp and what not.
Spotify /// Apple Music
My band /// Instagram ///Bandcamp ///
goroth

HERO
HERO

Postby dismembermentplanned » Wed Sep 19, 2018 5:33 pm

I got a Downer speculatively and wasn't really expecting to hold on to it, but man, you'd have to pry it from cold, dead hands. Expression pedal's a must for the full experience though for sure
dismembermentplanned

involved
involved

Postby bloatedsack » Wed Sep 19, 2018 10:56 pm

I love the p&c sound, but I jsut want to know the downer does the same thing, plus more if I choose to use it.. Oyrgawd says the Downer has a bit of latency between dry and wet, but I’m not even sure if that matters or not.

I hate being indecisive.

I need to find out if these Reverb Australia shops mean free shipping to the US.

Other than that, they’re like the same price.

I went so far as twatter Juan Alderante, who’s demos exposed me to both, which he’d buy if he could only have one and his response was “whichever is easier to get.” Not helpful.
bloatedsack

committed
committed

Postby gila_crisis » Tue Dec 18, 2018 7:13 pm

Hi all, I have 2 questions about the Downer:
Is the pitch effect polyphonic?
The preamp/saturation can be set to sound (almost) clean?
gila_crisis

experienced
experienced

Postby lordgalvar » Tue Dec 18, 2018 8:38 pm

If you use a volume pedal in front of it, it will make the folding less (you can use that because it is an amplitude based effect...instead of clipping the peaks, it folds).

It's not polyphonic in the sense that it makes the same fold happen on every note played at the same time...it folds the harmonics to create more harmonics...so chords will get muddy/over staturated with harmonics. It's best used sparingly or with some kind of amplitude adjustment before it (like a slow gear, volume pedal, tremolo) to give you a sweep or control over the harmonic complexity beyond what the pedal offers.

It does have a clean blend which is nice...it just folds instead of clips. Think of it as harmonic control instead of pitch control.

The octave down is like any octave down kinda fuzz (so monophonic).
Running a folder after a vca so the folding becomes more complex as the volume gets louder (like inverse filtering) is a modular trick...so it kind of pairs well with their sneak attack.

Edit fix typoz
Last edited by lordgalvar on Wed Dec 19, 2018 6:24 pm, edited 2 times in total.
-Ring Mods!
"I make you chocolate"
    -comesect69-via-Majin Buu-by-way-of-Dirge/mtl.asm and special consideration from CA Anderton
lordgalvar

Supporter
Supporter

Postby lordgalvar » Tue Dec 18, 2018 8:40 pm

bloatedsack wrote:
oyrgawd wrote:I just got the Downer and I’ve used the Prunes & Custard for years. The Downer is rad and does indeed do what the Prunes & Custard does, but:

I've never heard either in the flesh, but I love the P&C demos on bass out there. I was prepared to go in and then found the Downer...

Is the Downer a 1:1 replacement for the P&C if I twiddle the knobs right, or can it never really nail that same.. whatever the fuck the P&C does? That's the sound I want, and logic dictates that I buy the P&C but extra things and cheaper to get makes the Downer hard to say no to.

You can get some similar sounds...but PC is more envelopy feeling. They are similar enough in a mix though...downer is more tweakable with a sub octave.
-Ring Mods!
"I make you chocolate"
    -comesect69-via-Majin Buu-by-way-of-Dirge/mtl.asm and special consideration from CA Anderton
lordgalvar

Supporter
Supporter

Postby gila_crisis » Wed Dec 19, 2018 4:47 am

lordgalvar wrote:If you use a volume pedal in front of it, it will make the folding less (you can use that because it is an amplitude based effect...instead of clipping the oeaks, it folds).

It's not polyphonic in the sense that it makes the same fold happy on every note played at the same time...it folds the harmonics to create more harmonics...so chords will get muddy/over staturated with harmonics. It's best used sparingly or with some kind of amplitude adjustment before it (like a slow gear, volume pedal, tremolo) to give you a sweep or control over the harmonic complexity beyond what the pedal offers.

It does have a clean blend which is nice...it just folds instead of clips. Think of it as harmonic control instead of pitch control.

The octave down is like any octave down kinda fuzz (so monophonic).
Running a folder after a vca so the folding becomes more complex as the volume gets louder (like inverse filtering) is a modular trick...so it kind of pairs well with their sneak attack.

thank you so much for your reply, and explanation! I found one on the second hand market and that caught my attention, but after reading your words, I wont get it.
I have enough fuzz, octavers and filters at home ;)
gila_crisis

experienced
experienced

Postby lordgalvar » Wed Dec 19, 2018 6:22 pm

Yeah, honestly it's a bit specific to kinda shoehorn into an existing rig...it's more something I would plan around for a specific setup. It's something to try, but nothing I would ever have to have.

Sorry about all the dang typos...big fingers and little phone.
-Ring Mods!
"I make you chocolate"
lordgalvar

Supporter
Supporter

Postby Confuzzled » Thu Dec 20, 2018 9:19 am

I was high on the concept of a wave folding pedal for a while but after watching the P&C demo and thinking about the excellent description from lordgalvar I have to agree. I have enough gear to get a similar sound. My GAS for a wave folding pedal is over unless someone does some serious envelope pushing.
Confuzzled

experienced
experienced

Postby coupleonapkins » Mon Feb 15, 2021 3:53 pm

The first batch of these Source Audio Ultra Waves (beta version) just sold out yesterday, and there are some embedded videos on FB that sound promising soooo :snax:

Good morning!
coupleonapkins

IAMILF
IAMILF

Postby Paul_C » Mon Feb 15, 2021 5:08 pm

I'd forgotten this thread, and since I last read any of it I acquired a Downer, but I haven't done much with it.

I shall make a note to swap it for either my Wurhm or Geiger Counter at some point.
Paul_C

FAMOUS
FAMOUS

Postby kaboodle » Mon Feb 15, 2021 5:31 pm

http://www.redpandalab.com/products/bitmap not centered around wave-folding but the Bitmap 2 does it
kaboodle

interested
interested

Previous

Return to General Gear